Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, you guys are @sses. I mean that. People ride their bikes in the right lane down Central Ave. all the time. No one honks at them or passes them dangerously because it is illegal to do so. Once again, driving is a privilege that we share with one another. Riding a bike (considered a "motorized vehicle") has the same right of way as a car, actually more, just like a pedestrian. You can't hit a pedestrian because he isn't crossing legally, as pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of-way. The burden and privilege of driving a heavy projectile also comes the responsibility to ensure your safety and safety for others; especially those that are more vulnerable to injury from your vehicle.
LOL, why yes, we are. This is why I don't bike in Phoenix, because of the high number of asses that would be surrounding me. I'll take the new light rail instead and walk. Save my biking for the neighborhood and mountain trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Dude, you're a grand jury indictment waiting to happen. Would it have been worth the arrest, jail time in Sheriff Joe's tent city, cost of a legal defense, public humiliation, civil suit, and possible loss of your home and property if you had struck him with your car or been charged for brandishing a weapon (it would be hard to argue you were in fear for your life if inside a locked car) and he had gotten your license plate number? Just because you had to slow down for a little bit? You have to slow down like that when someone brakes in front of you, when there is a pedestrian in the road, or there is heavy traffic, and (we hope) you don't break the law in any of those cases because you were impeded for a few seconds.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM

(At the time I had a 9mm Ruger under the my seat. I quickly pulled it out and put it right against the window. He immediately took off so no further action was needed. I guess because of this situation I extremely hate these bicyclists.)
Were you drunk? Had to ask. lol

Another reason I don't bike in Phoenix. You all remember what happened to the "photo radar" guy. No telling what will happen in heated situations on the Phoenix streets?
I'm sure this solved the problem though, not to many bicyclist are packing so you had the upper hand or gun so to speak. lol

Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,277,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Dude, you're a grand jury indictment waiting to happen. Would it have been worth the arrest, jail time in Sheriff Joe's tent city, cost of a legal defense, public humiliation, civil suit, and possible loss of your home and property if you had struck him with your car or been charged for brandishing a weapon (it would be hard to argue you were in fear for your life if inside a locked car) and he had gotten your license plate number? Just because you had to slow down for a little bit? You have to slow down like that when someone brakes in front of you, when there is a pedestrian in the road, or there is heavy traffic, and (we hope) you don't break the law in any of those cases because you were impeded for a few seconds.

Here is the deal. I was a delivery driver for years putting in over 200 miles a day so I was attacked by road rager's way more often than most people would have. This was the reason I ended up purchasing a handgun. I also had dispatchers at work who were always rushing me, especially towards the end of the day. I made sure that I safely cleared the bicyclist. I had at least a foot of clearance between me and the bike. The guy on the bike was a psychopath, what he did was far more illegal than what I did. He did threaten my life. For one thing, this was a big guy, probably 6 foot 4 and muscular. He was punching my drivers window trying to break it. He was screaming "Im gonna kill you #%$%" In other words, I legally was in fear for my life. I just wanted him to go away so I instinctively pulled out the gun. I said earlier that I was not proud of what I did. The reason I said that is because it is considered weak to pull out a gun on an unarmed man. Now, if I was Mike Tyson, I would have got out of the car and took care of him, but Im not. I also did not have health insurance so the last thing I wanted was to get injured.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,277,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
(At the time I had a 9mm Ruger under the my seat. I quickly pulled it out and put it right against the window. He immediately took off so no further action was needed. I guess because of this situation I extremely hate these bicyclists.)
Were you drunk? Had to ask. lol

Another reason I don't bike in Phoenix. You all remember what happened to the "photo radar" guy. No telling what will happen in heated situations on the Phoenix streets?
I'm sure this solved the problem though, not to many bicyclist are packing so you had the upper hand or gun so to speak. lol
That is a fair question considering my screen name. But no, I was at work and completely sober. I also posted in the thread about the photo radar guy who got killed. It was extremely unfair, and I hope they show no mercy on his killer. I hope you read my other post above where I fully explained what happened.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is a fair question considering my screen name. But no, I was at work and completely sober. I also posted in the thread about the photo radar guy who got killed. It was extremely unfair, and I hope they show no mercy on his killer. I hope you read my other post above where I fully explained what happened.
LOL, yes, I remember your photo radar post! I was just joking around because of your screen name. Really, I understand the road rage issue, I would probably do the same in your position.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
Obviously, it would be a little ridiculous to assume that most people on bikes can ride going 35mph. First off, that would be unsafe for a bicyclist to do on city streets. BIKES DO NOT NEED to travel the speed limit for vehicles, but they have the right of way on the roads; even if they were only traveling 10 or 15mph.

Finger Laker, you need to pick up your Driver's Manual from a local MVD and read up on traffic laws and laws regarding dealing with people on bikes. Blowing your horn behind a bicyclist is illegal. Randomly honking your horn or driving aggressively (which you would be doing by driving behind someone on a bike blowing your horn) can lead to a citation and I'm sure if a cop saw and heard you doing that, you wouldn't be having a very pleasant encounter with the officer. That's just common sense.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
find me the ARS that says it's illegal

shouldn't be that hard if it's in the basic manual

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM

13,247 posts, read 21,865,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
For one thing, this was a big guy, probably 6 foot 4 and muscular. He was punching my drivers window trying to break it. He was screaming "Im gonna kill you #%$%" In other words, I legally was in fear for my life.
I don't believe you. You're just backpeddling now that you've been labeled as a gun-brandishing psycho. There's no way an unarmed bicyclist is going to scream "I'm going to kill you" at a cage driver in AZ. And if he had, you would have mentioned that in the first place.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
LOL, it is considered a noise violation, why don't you call your local PD and ask them. Shouldn't take long. This was actually a case for the high court in the past. Someone had a case that tried to convince the court that honking was a constitutionally protected right under free speech laws, LOL!

However, the court upheld the laws that stated that use of vehicle devices such as a horn was for avoiding hazards, warning others of danger, etc. Pulling up behind someone on a bike on a city street and honking your horn does not qualify under one of those rules for using your horn. If the bike rider cuts you off or is doing something stupid, honk away. But if they are riding in a responsible manner and you are just annoyed you can't get around them fast enough, or you are annoyed you have to move over for them that's on you not the rider.

Remember not all laws and driving laws are A.R.S.'s because local ordinances are also established. Come on, you should know this how long have you been driving???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area