Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 9,909 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Scottsdale in June and would love a referral for an agent to help with a rental. I am in my 20's and would like to live in an area of town that is fun and lively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Just go to Rent.com or another rental site. Do you really need an agent for a apartment rental?
If you are looking to rent a house you can find a site for home rentals, or go to craigslist.org

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks. Boston and NYC use rental brokers. Happy to hear they are not needed in Scottsdale.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Ah, I see. I my self am from new york, and did not even think to take that into consideration. In Phoenix/Scottsdale, renting is a very easy process. You find the rental,make the deposits, and sign a lease. I suppose the demand for a fair priced apartment is not as competitive as it would be in NY/Boston. Out here rentals are usually priced around the same going by area.There is mainly management companies which own like 100 complexes each throughout the valley. Unlike in NY where its very personal, you meet the landlord and all.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM

78 posts, read 270,002 times
You don't need one, but I found working with a realtor to be very beneficial when I moved out here. They represent you in the deal and help hold the landlord accountable for following through on their end the deal. It's especially useful if you are looking to rent a house or condo vs living in a large complex. They compile lists of available rentals and arrange tours of the properties your most interested in. Their fee is usually payed by the landlord at lease signing.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks, I'm hoping to connect with a realtor to make the transition easier. Being unfamiliar with Scottsdale I'm not sure of which area to look in.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
The folks here know the neighborhoods as well or better than any realtor you would end up having to pay. And STRONGLY suggest either way if at all possible you visit at least once before moving.

Where will you be working or going to school? Do realize that Scottsdale is about 30 miles long end to end (it isn't very wide tho). The city of Phoenix is somewhere around 450-500 square MILES. The valley is huge-you could end up with a killer commute without realizing it.

Do you have a car? Public transportation out here with the exception of a few corridors isn't anywhere near as developed as some of the eastern cities.

What made you decide on Scottsdale? What are your priorities? Do you want to live at "party central" for example, or be close enough to get there quickly but far enough away to have a calm place to call home?

What is your budget/price range? What amenities are important to you in a rental (ie pool or a 24/7 concierge or outdoor patio/balcony or garage or workout facilities etc etc)?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM

I will be starting a new job in Scottsdale in June. I am planning on visiting the area this month. Yes, I will have a car. I would like to live in an area that is safe. As for "party central" I like your description of close enough to get there quickly but far enough to have a calm place. No more than a 20 minute commute to work. For rental amenities- a pool, work out facitlities, parking, and 24/7 concierge would be great. As I look at rent.com it appears that for what I want the price range is around $800-$1,000 per month. As for the area it seems like Old Town area or N. Scottsdale. What are the + and - of these areas?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
Where exactly is your office? Do you have a street address or the nearest intersection?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
ivana will give you great advice.....I'm very familiar with Scottsdale, also....

give us a nearby work intersection so we can zero in on your area to help you.....

N Scottsdale, the area N of, say, Cactus, is more open and spread out than downtown (old town) and S Scottsdale....it's a bit newer the more N you go....more expensive, too, if you get up toward Troon/Pinnacle Peak, but this probably isn't your work area.....the area around downtown (within a couple miles of Scotts and Indian School) has a variety of apts, condos, condo-conversions (former apts), older homes, and multi-million dollar high-rise condos...it's also in the area of "party central" (Indian Plaza Rd., and other old-town bars), but downtown is definitely not all parties at all and you can easily find a quiet spot very nearby...kinda crowded down there, too.....S Scottsdale is the "ghetto" of Scotts....not at all horrible, but older 50s style housing....

more later......glad to help you out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area