Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,176 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im a 25 year old female and will be moving in about a week or so.
I have a few questions to people who live or have lived in the area;

1. I am car-free, i have a bike. Whats the public transport like? If I got a job in Phoenix, would a commute be realistic? Is the area bike friendly? Are there any group rides I could join to meet people?
2. I will probably wait tables till I saved up some money to do something that interests me. Any servers out there know of any good places to make money?
3. Any cool little coffee shops? not a starbucks! or ethnic groceries in the area?
4. Whats fun to do at night? any independent or classic movie houses?

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Public transit is not the best between Scottsdale and Phoenix, but between your bike and an express bus (which can be put on the bus bike rack) it might work, depending on your exact home and work location.
Valley Metro | Welcome for bus info. You should not plan on doing a long commute just on a bike.

Why did you pick Scottsdale? Tempe is a bit more bike friendly in terms of more bike paths, etc. Or, you could just live closer to work, whereever that turns out to be. Phoenix is not particularly bike friendly (I'm not a bike rider, so my perceptions come from the lack of bike paths/lanes, and some motorists' attitudes toward bike riders.)

EDIT: There actually isn't an express bus that serves the central (Old Town) Scottsdale area, so you would need to use the crosstown local routes. Slower, but they will still carry your bike along with you!

Last edited by observer53; 02-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM

53 posts, read 147,707 times
Where will be u moving from? don't expect unique coffee shops... there are a lots chain restaurants up here. Riding a bike might be fun only for a few month out of the year, it gets really hot in the city, so learn the route and the schedule for the bus. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,165,215 times
Given the info you've shared with us, I think you might be better off in Portland, but welcome to Phx!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
I'm going to stay with family for a short while to save some funds. Chicago is where I want to end up ultimately.
I'm moving from fort worth, texas. I didn't have a car here either, so I'm used to the heat, and the public transport can't be as bad in az as it in Texas. Or at least I hope not
Scottsdale wouldn't be my top pick of locations, but I need to visit with family and earn some money. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,140 times
Be VERY careful on your bike and stay on the sidewalk. This is not a bike friendly town.

As to 100s of restaurants? If the poster was referring to Old Town Scottsdale, I think not.

Just be careful. Oh, and I live in Scottsdale, albeit North Scottsdale.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Well, what you said in the first post was "hundreds" which is different than "100+" While it depends somewhat on how you define the limits of Old Town, 100+ is possible , but it would be close. 200 or more, which would be "hundreds"? I don't think so, but it would depend on how broadly you are defining the "vicinity of Old Town".

Now, let's try to stay on topic and answer the OP's questions.

Last edited by observer53; 02-22-2011 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWrecked View Post
[mod cut -- rude/personal] I can easily name 100+ restaurants in the Old Town vicinity.
Not even.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
There are hundreds of restaurants in the area, easily 200 if not more. How are you claiming this is off topic when this is exactly what the OP asked for?
Actually, the OP asked if anyone knew of good places to make money. New York Joe's is not one of them, and it is in Old Town Scottsdale. Old Town Scottsdale really isn't all that big. Now, to answer the question, I would say The Breakfast Club might be a good spot.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, they asked good places to serve at and make good money.

Old Town is not that large, like I said there are hundreds of restaurants in the vicinity, meaning within a few miles, considering the OP is relying on public transportation to get to and from work.

In the old town area alone, there is 127 bars and restaurants, all of which the OP could serve at. Expand that area to a few miles radius of old town and it opens up 150-200 more.
Well, hardly hundreds in Old Town. Look, I am trying to give the OP a realistic preview of what to expect. No, this is not a bike friendly town. One must be careful. And now, why don't you list the restaurants at which the OP could make good money (of course serving was implied).

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-22-2011 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area