Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 14,818 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old female and am considering moving to Scottsdale to attend ASU W.P. Carey for Business. I currently have a two-year degree and live in Orlando but just have been unhappy with the area and would like a change.. Just wanted any opinions on if Scottsdale is a good place to live for young people? I am looking for a fun area (nightlife is important) and future job opportunities? I would be able to spend around $1500 for a one bedroom or $2500 if I found a roommate.. But would like to know if that would be possible in a trendy area? Somewhere I could enjoy walking to shops, restaurants, etc.
Other areas I have been considering are Chicago and L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I'm an ASU alumni and the W.P. Carey Business School is excellent but honestly I haven't a clue why you'd want to live in Scottsdale if you're going to be in Tempe most of the time. Commuting from Scottsdale to Tempe everyday wouldn't be anything too terrible except if you hit rush hour but I'd say just rent an apartment in Tempe for a lot less $$. No reason you need to spend $1500/ month on apartment rent when you're going to college when you can get a nice apartment in Tempe for less than $1K. If nightlife is important, you have Mill Avenue where all the college students hang out. You also have tons of restaurants in the area and if you want shopping you can always drive up to Scottsdale and go to the mall.

Scottsdale doesn't have many younger singles, it's mostly comprised of retirees and middle-age families. I'm 28 and while I do like living in Scottsdale, I can honestly say it's not a good area for people my age just because of the cost. I just can't see paying $1500/ month for a one-bed apartment when you're that young, it just doesn't make sense financially (I'm assuming you have college loans and other expenses). But this is just my $0.02.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,818 times
Currently I am blessed by my parents and they allow for $1500. Currently, in Orlando, I am paying over 1500 for a one bedroom loft and looking for something similar.. Especially when I’ve been looking a lot in LA where I would be renting a room for that price. I was thinking of Scottsdale because I thought they might have a better nightlife? Looking for more of Miami-style clubs.. slightly older crowd.. versus college bars.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayschels View Post
Currently I am blessed by my parents and they allow for $1500. Currently, in Orlando, I am paying over 1500 for a one bedroom loft and looking for something similar.. Especially when I’ve been looking a lot in LA where I would be renting a room for that price. I was thinking of Scottsdale because I thought they might have a better nightlife? Looking for more of Miami-style clubs.. slightly older crowd.. versus college bars.
Well, I think downtown/Old Town Scottsdale would be great for you if you want a really nice apartment and lots of nightlife. It's a hop, skip and a jump to ASU in Tempe.

As long as you are looking, check out the new apartments at Tempe Town Lake area...this might be your cup of tea, also. Young exec types. A few really, really great looking high rise buildings on the "water". It is water, but it is a bit of a stretch. Still, kind of a cool place. I think you should check both areas out.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM

147 posts, read 376,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayschels View Post
I am a 21 year old female and am considering moving to Scottsdale to attend ASU W.P. Carey for Business. I currently have a two-year degree and live in Orlando but just have been unhappy with the area and would like a change.. Just wanted any opinions on if Scottsdale is a good place to live for young people? I am looking for a fun area (nightlife is important) and future job opportunities? I would be able to spend around $1500 for a one bedroom or $2500 if I found a roommate.. But would like to know if that would be possible in a trendy area? Somewhere I could enjoy walking to shops, restaurants, etc.
Other areas I have been considering are Chicago and L.A.
Well let me first tell you, Scottsdale is a terrific place to live, really at all stages of life. If you are looking for a city that has both a large amount of nightlife, and future job opportunities, Scottsdale has a lot to offer you. However, what I think you are really after would be found in Old Town, but to be honest, I'm not sure how far your budget will go down there. I've only personally known one family that was thinking about moving down there, and he is a vice-president of a bank, and she is an RN, and last time I checked, they were still thinking. A co-worker of mine once called it "Southeast Paradise Valley". PV being one of the most exclusive places to live in the nation by the way.

South Scottsdale is really the only area of the city though that you are going to find lots of younger people your age. I live in central Scottsdale, and although it is perfect if you have a young family, and want to be away from the activity in the commerical and buisness distrcits, you would more than likely be bored in our neighborhoods. There is lots of activity the farther north your go, but nothing like what you will find the closer you get to Tempe. If I were you, I would take a serious look at Tempe, instead of Scottsdale. Tranplants that are older than you, and have kids, usually pick Scottsdale over Tempe just because it is overall a cleaner city, with better schools. The two towns are right next to each other, and both the Mill Ave. area, and Old Town are adjacent. Your money will go much farther in Tempe, and you really won't miss out on anything in S. Scottsdale. Plus, even though Mill Ave. doesn't have quite the "club" scene that S. Scottsdale has, it is far from just a place for college kids to go and just get drunk either. You are really talking about some of the most popular destinations in the East Valley, and they are growing right next to each other.

By the way, a commute from Tempe to Scottsdale is a breeze. If you can handle Orlando traffic, then you can no doubt handle ours. Feel free to DM me if you need any more specifics!!

As a quick thought though - If you are really interested in the social atmosphere of Miami, Phoenix, and LA, then I highly doubt that you will really find Chicago to be to your liking. Just a thought....

Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times
It sounds like Scottsdale is what you would be happy with.

Old towne has some great clubs and bars but it is still much different than the Miami scene.

You can get some very nice condos in the area for around $1500, one that comes to mind is Optima Camelback which is walking distance to the mall and clubs. A 1 bedroom would run around $1500 while a 2 bedroom would be at or under $2000.

Commute time to ASU would be under 20 minutes.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times
Old Town Scottsdale sounds best for you. Looks for condos/apartments near Indian School & Scottsdale Rd. to be in walking distance of many places. As mentioned, it's a short hop to Tempe for classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area