Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,996,618 times

Advertisements

Actually don't they do that in some place in Europe? Where they monitor when you got on the freeway and at a maximum speed, you shouldn't be able to reach another point faster then X amount of time. Kind of sucks because you could really let loose and drive 2X the speed limit then pull over a bit for the time to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM

107 posts, read 301,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Actually don't they do that in some place in Europe? Where they monitor when you got on the freeway and at a maximum speed, you shouldn't be able to reach another point faster then X amount of time. Kind of sucks because you could really let loose and drive 2X the speed limit then pull over a bit for the time to pass.

They even do it here in the states. Nevada uses it all the time. An officer in an airplane watches you go over a line painted on the road and then measures the time it takes you to reach the next mark. If they know the time and the distance, the only variable is your speed! Then the car on the side of the road pulls you over and writes the ticket.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM

611 posts, read 1,997,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
...when I'm in the right-most lane (slow lane) and some hot shot is tailgating me, I like to mess with him and brake to teach him a lesson!
Which is even more dangerous than tailgating. I saw a six car pile-up because some dimwit slammed his breaks on to teach a tailgater a "lesson". Realize you may just kill some innocent man woman or child passenger next time you do that. Just let off the gas and they'll eventually get frustrated and go around you. If not let the enjoy driving 5 mph under the limit for the duration of their time behind you.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 AM

140 posts, read 468,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Most are braking because they were speeding. The Phoenix freeways are way too fast and dangerous, so anything to get people to go slower is good in my book. Because people in AZ don't drive safely they had to put the stupid cmaeras on the freeways and those stupid KGB-like side street cameras and portable speed alert signs up everywhere.

2000 Car Accident Statistics: Fatalities by State

look at those stats...AZ is one of the worst for fatalities due to car accidents. I think it's generally accepted that people in california drive like crazies....AZ has 1/3 of their fatalities and they have 6 times as many people in their state.

i've always attributed the heat/sun and sprawl (insane distances) to the speeding in AZ, so maybe no sign or camera will ever get people to slow down, but it's worth a shot.
Man do you work for redflex or what? Nothing like a bit of fear uncertainty and doubt. Trying to justify your cash cow, eh? Sorry to rain on your little parade but Phoenix was the #1 safest city for driving with a population over 1 million. No other 1mill+ city came anywhere near being safe as phoenix.

Traffic Accidents in Phoenix

Here are the top 10, nationally:

1. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3. Chattanooga, Tennessee
4. Huntsville, Alabama
5. Knoxville, Tennessee
6. Des Moines, Iowa
7. Topeka, Kansas
8. Lakewood, Colorado
9. Fort Collins, Colorado
10. Birmingham, Alabama

Here are the top 10 cities over 1 million in population:

(the number represents the national ranking) 64. Phoenix
111. San Diego
121. Houston
167. San Antonio
169. New York City
173. Chicago
177. Los Angeles
180. Dallas
182. Philadelphia

Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,478,547 times
Well, I hated the cameras when I was breaking the law and speeding. They force one to obey the law. Duh.

I now like the cameras on those stretches of freeway where people are in oh such a rush and cannot be bothered to leave 10 minutes earlier, as they save lives. But I am not surprised I am alone in this as I seem to be at odds with just about everyone who posts in the AZ forum.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,996,618 times
I'm with you on this one movin'on. I don't hate the cameras...more like the people who don't know how to act around them.

Another thing I noticed about the cameras is that there is ALWAYS a sign up about a 1/4 mile or so before the camera that says "Photo radar zone" or something along those lines, so at least you get a warning. Even the mobile van units have these signs up. When is the last time a cop put up a sign on the freeway before he hid behind an overpass with his radar gun?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,309,030 times
Quote:
I'm with you on this one movin'on. I don't hate the cameras...more like the people who don't know how to act around them.

Another thing I noticed about the cameras is that there is ALWAYS a sign up about a 1/4 mile or so before the camera that says "Photo radar zone" or something along those lines, so at least you get a warning. Even the mobile van units have these signs up. When is the last time a cop put up a sign on the freeway before he hid behind an overpass with his radar gun?

You know that is another reason why I don't understand HOW people get speeding radar tickets. They warn you every time with a sign, yet people STILL manage to speed through them and get tickets

Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM

8,059 posts, read 12,369,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I now like the cameras on those stretches of freeway where people are in oh such a rush and cannot be bothered to leave 10 minutes earlier, as they save lives.
It's been stated on here at least several times why drivers in the Phoenix area tend to be fast. Our clear, sunny weather that is predominant the majority of the year is a huge factor. Even our recent rains are not enough to slow people down much. We don't get the ice, the snow, or the heavy fog like places in the east or northern tier of states are experiencing now. Also, unlike many older metro areas in the east, our freeways are wide and in good condition. Add to that our endless sprawl, and you have a recipe for speed. BTW, driving fast under good conditions IS safe as long as you're attentive.

Incidentally, cameras do not save lives ... they line pocketbooks with cash. You know as well as I that photo radar's sole purpose is to generate revenue. Napolitano even admitted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
But I am not surprised I am alone in this as I seem to be at odds with just about everyone who posts in the AZ forum.
It's the way you come across many times. You're a recent transplant who seems to enjoy bellyaching about most everything in Phoenix or Arizona. Don't feel too alone, however. You're in good company with the many other newcomers who seem to thrive on bashing Phoenix ... especially how we drive.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,382,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's the way you come across many times. You're a recent transplant who seems to enjoy bellyaching about most everything in Phoenix or Arizona. Don't feel too alone, however. You're in good company with the many other newcomers who seem to thrive on bashing Phoenix ... especially how we drive.

I knew there had to be something I'd appreciate about you, VN...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,760,273 times
Quote:

Yes to all of those points. Traffic cops don't put up a big sign; they can hide anywhere and not disclose the location. The cameras always have signs. So, assuming that you either know the speed limit, or read the posted speed limit sign, and noticed the big yellow or orange sign about photo radar, there's plenty of time to gradually coast down to <= 10mph over the limit, without slamming on the brakes. What I see is people who obviously don't even know what the speed limit is, or how fast they are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area