Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,457,427 times

Advertisements

The area has been cleaned up a lot over the last ten years. It's still gritty and poor, but not as seedy and dangerous as it once was. From what I've heard, it's where a lot of the rank-and-file workers at north Scottsdale / northeast Phoenix resorts live. The low-wage workers who tend the grounds, clean the guest rooms, and wash the dishes at places like the Four Seasons, the Fairmont, the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge, the Westin Kierland, etc. need a place to live within a reasonable commuting distance of those resorts. The Square is a relatively short drive to those destinations and is also connected to some of them via bus routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,411 times
Default I heard that with the SR51 expansion...

... the City mandated that the same amount of units stay in the area after some properties were demolished due to the SR51 expansion. So "the square" was selected to become the area that would have a lot higher density to make up for it. Thereby unwilingly a kind of ghetto was created. That's what I heard from people living there.
P.L.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:43 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,172,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
... the City mandated that the same amount of units stay in the area after some properties were demolished due to the SR51 expansion. So "the square" was selected to become the area that would have a lot higher density to make up for it. Thereby unwilingly a kind of ghetto was created. That's what I heard from people living there.
P.L.
Not sure if I'm following, but the square was bad way before the expansion happened.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,947,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
P.L.
Sounds like you're establishing a cause and effect between higher-density development and poverty/crime. None exists - at least not at the level seen in the Square.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,209 times
this area is very bad. alot of gangs. it was once a nice area. now alot of scum and many illegals. my 16 nephew cut through their on saturday apreil 3 and was robbed at knife point. lets keep the good kids out of this area.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache11 View Post
this area is very bad. alot of gangs. it was once a nice area. now alot of scum and many illegals. my 16 nephew cut through their on saturday apreil 3 and was robbed at knife point. lets keep the good kids out of this area.
hey apache: just wondering how you came to join c-d just today and dredge up this old thread to announce this news about your nephew....sorry to hear about the robbery...I hope all is well now....

Old 03-16-2015, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
I live in the square now on Bell and 20th. Been here 8 months, hate it. Car was stolen out of gated apartment complex (La Serana @ Toscana). Dead girl found in suitcase about a month ago behind Cowboy lookout grill. Cops are always in our complex, helicopter spotlights are a part of the night sky. Stay away, trust me.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNoob View Post
I live in the square now on Bell and 20th. Been here 8 months, hate it. Car was stolen out of gated apartment complex (La Serana @ Toscana). Dead girl found in suitcase about a month ago behind Cowboy lookout grill. Cops are always in our complex, helicopter spotlights are a part of the night sky. Stay away, trust me.
You live outside of the square in nice middle class area.......
I'm not calling you a liar but just saying.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache11 View Post
How do you know they are illegals? Did you detain each of them individually and run them through ICE databases to verify that? Or should we just assume that all brown people speaking Spanish just swam across the Rio Grande yesterday? Damn racists...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
How do you know they are illegals? Did you detain each of them individually and run them through ICE databases to verify that? Or should we just assume that all brown people speaking Spanish just swam across the Rio Grande yesterday? Damn racists...
Be careful. I made a similar point here a couple of years ago when it was alleged that "illegals" had caused Metrocenter's demise and I got shouted down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area