Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM

9 posts, read 64,856 times

Advertisements

Yes. Yard Roaches.

I moved into a house 3 weeks ago near Glendale. We owned this house previously and it stood uninhabited for almost a year. This is in an established area, and the house is around 30 years old. Over the last few weeks we have been moving everything in, and had not seen a any bugs in the house, until a few days ago when I saw a "silverfish" on the tile, but that was it.

A few nights ago, while outside smoking, looking over the lawn I saw 10's of shiney things in the grass. I could spot around 15 on top of the long-dead lawn at any given moment. I inspected more closely and realized much to my horror they are roaches.

Many, many roaches. They fly. From the ground. At you even.

My lawn is infested. Now, the sprinklers had not been run in almost a year, so it is not moisture. They aren’t around the slab, as I've read they often are, and I haven’t seen any dead or alive in the house. Perhaps I'm lucky and there are none in the house... YET. Roach genocide must be committed.

I called an exterminator to come out, because I cannot stand this. They are all touting a “green” way of exterminating, but you know – I’m not buying. I want the harshest, most potent nasty stuff they have. I am ready to douse my yard in fuel, and light the damn thing on fire.

Anyone else had similar experiences? WTH kind are these, and where are they coming from?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,655 times
Cut the grass, and don't leave it for a year? may have something to do with it ;P

Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM

190 posts, read 570,888 times
Just wait, Steve-O will respond saying how Phoenix is notorious for its roach problem. Should be fun

Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
My neighborhood used to have a bad roach problem years ago, which I belive can be attributed to the fact that we irrigate. Roaches tend to like areas where there's a lot of grass, moisture, and mulch for ground cover. I still see a cockroach or two every now & then, but not like it used to be. I call an extermination service about once a year, which seems to have done the trick. Also, the fact that I've seen more lizards might be contributing to fewer roaches. They make good meals for lizards from what I've heard.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Go with the fuel/fire option. I'd like to watch it on the news.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
This is just grossing me out. We don't take great care of our lawn and now I'm afraid of the same thing happening to us. I will run as far as I can away from the house if this ever happens.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxinaz View Post
Yes. Yard Roaches.

Many, many roaches. They fly. From the ground. At you even.
The HORROR!!!!!!!! I am afraid and its not even my house and I am miles away from you. My mother uses Good Earth. Oh my goodness and they fly to you? *dies*

Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,227 times
Default Boric Acid!!!

Get some Boric ACid and DOUSE that lawn of yours!!! It gets in their little roachy joints and eats em alive. What the heck were you doing not watering it for a year?!?!?!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
Just wait, Steve-O will respond saying how Phoenix is notorious for its roach problem. Should be fun
Or if you all sit still and wait, azriverfan will once again not offer any good info on a thread and attack me instead.

To the OP: Your best bet is to first kill as many as you can physically, then have the yard sprayed. Seal any windows/cracks/etc around your home so that they cannot gain entrance to the interior of the home. Be glad you dont have a problem with them being INSIDE your home, thats when things get nasty. Best of luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
The only time I have heard my husband scream like a girl was in HI. A really, really big roach flew up into his face after he sprayed it with Raid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area