Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 03:01 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Let me help you understand:

Regarding "to and from large parking lots where the asphalt gets hot enough to fry an egg" isn't really a big deal like you seem to think.

Phoenix isn't for everyone, so I get that many people see the high temp numbers and cannot fathom that they could actually tolerate living here, especially after some acclimation. We are from the upper Midwest, and I actually do leave the house often and have not melted.
Being out in the sun for a prolonged period in Arizona summer is pretty brutal...

But to walk from your air conditioned car through a parking lot and into a store?

I'd rather do that in Phoenix than in a place that is hot and humid in the south.

In Phoenix while in said parking lot you feel like you are in an oven and are being smacked in the face with a ping pong paddle... but once you are inside the store you are just fine.

In hot humid climates. The intensity of the heat isn't so bad but once you are through the parking lot and into the store you are a sweaty, damp mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 06:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
I have a large floppy hat which helps a lot when I'm out and about. I also have a swimming pool. I feel refreshed after an afternoon swim.

My wife and I leave once a month on mini-trips. Currently we're in Williams for three days - temp now is 88.

All in all, after four years of living here I’ve gotten used to the summer heat. I still do landscaping work and try to walk for a mile at night after the sun goes down.

Of course, it goes without saying you've got a have a reliable AC unit.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:01 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
It's summertime it's hot. So instead of being 108-119 we're 110-119. It's not like it's cool and we are getting a freak hot spell. This is summer. If you can't take it then move. When I grew up it was just as hot we had only a swamp cooler and no ac in the car. We played on metal playgrounds no sunshades anywhere. We survived just fine. Unfortunately people are now transplants and soft she whine that everything is climate change or whatever the new goal post moved word.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,641 times
I was showing the locals here in Colombia the ten day forecast for Phoenix..they just about can't believe it. Looks like Laughlin may have been just shy of 50c today. 96f was plenty hot here a few days ago, but shorter summer days near the equator and the Andes make for nice evenings in the 70s.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:21 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So let me understand: the Phoenix forecast is 118 today and tomorrow and yet your wife will have no problem getting out in 118F walking around commercial shops and to and from large parking lots where the asphalt gets hot enough to fry an egg? She must be impervious to the heat. I won't live in Phoenix because I have a sister that would love to put me out on asphalt and fry me. Needless to say we're not close.
If the wife’s normal body temperature around 104 - it is a bit warm to walk around in 118 air temperature, but survivable for her specifically if she is well hydrated - as it is only a dry heat

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...812-heatstroke

Or she dresses in thick insulating from heat robes to keep the body temperature at 98 degrees - like they did historically in Central Asia
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix Shatters Record--19 Days of 110+F-img_5295.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-21-2023 at 04:51 AM..

Old 07-21-2023, 07:34 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
That's largely true. The main differentiator is that a Phoenician never has to deal with snow/ice on the roads and sidewalks. It is a tradeoff... for enduring roughly three months of hell, one gets quite a pleasant time from November through April, and no snow.

With that said, however, let's be honest... hell is hell. Phoenix summers are not roughly the same as most of the Western U.S. There are cities where the daytime highs will frequently exceed 100 F, but the early morning temperatures are in the 60s or 70s and most of the morning is nice enough to go biking/golf/hiking/etc. Then in the winter months one throws on a jacket and does outdoor activities in the afternoon.
Yeah that's the thing that would get me, the lack of anything cool rather than the top temp mark. I don't have AC in my new built home in Taos. It gets up to 82 inside in the afternoon, but the morning it cools all off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
It's summertime it's hot. So instead of being 108-119 we're 110-119. It's not like it's cool and we are getting a freak hot spell. This is summer. If you can't take it then move. When I grew up it was just as hot we had only a swamp cooler and no ac in the car. We played on metal playgrounds no sunshades anywhere. We survived just fine. Unfortunately people are now transplants and soft she whine that everything is climate change or whatever the new goal post moved word.
Some like it cold, some like it hot.

The thing that's unhealthy is having a summer and a winter home cause you can't deal with seasons or being afraid of snow yet keeping your house at 70F with perpetual A/C in the summer.

People think it virtuous when people push their body at the gym. It's also virtuous when you push your body temperature wise. It's healthy to experience temperature fluctuations - that's why saunas and cold pools are a thing.

I wish people would find a spot that fits year round with their temp range and actually experience the seasons instead of industrially overriding or jetting around to the comfort zone.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:36 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
On Wednesday at 5:13--47 minutes away from official "evening" the thermometer on a billboard read 118F.

Per KO above some people can indeed weather such high temps just fine even into middle age. One 73 YO guy even tried to get out in the heat and mow his lawn. Needless to say he landed in ER with a heart attack. I wonder about people who use their autos to drive for a living delivering. Usually the autos are subcompacts. Cranking up the AC in such small vehicles for 8 hours each day in such heat makes me wonder how the radiators don't explode and strand the drivers. If it happens out in the middle of nowhere the drivers are literally "fried". I haven't read much of any warnings or such on the news. Here's a news item from yesterday talking about the dangers of delivering in such heat. One UPS drivers was caught on porch camera collapsing from the heat.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...9-39b256030876

Old 07-21-2023, 09:54 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
On Wednesday at 5:13--47 minutes away from official "evening" the thermometer on a billboard read 118F.

Per KO above some people can indeed weather such high temps just fine even into middle age. One 73 YO guy even tried to get out in the heat and mow his lawn. Needless to say he landed in ER with a heart attack. I wonder about people who use their autos to drive for a living delivering. Usually the autos are subcompacts. Cranking up the AC in such small vehicles for 8 hours each day in such heat makes me wonder how the radiators don't explode and strand the drivers. If it happens out in the middle of nowhere the drivers are literally "fried". I haven't read much of any warnings or such on the news. Here's a news item from yesterday talking about the dangers of delivering in such heat. One UPS drivers was caught on porch camera collapsing from the heat.

Not sure what your overall point is but sorry, this is just plain stupid: One 73 YO guy even tried to get out in the heat and mow his lawn. Needless to say he landed in ER with a heart attack.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:58 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
While nobody is dying from a mere stroll into the grocery store, extreme heat should be taken seriously.

Quote:
Outside of making you severely uncomfortable, heat can slowly but surely shut your vital systems down—and the symptoms can be surprisingly hard to notice, especially in children and the elderly.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-surviv...ors-1827364107

Old 07-21-2023, 07:57 PM

843 posts, read 565,302 times
Quote:

You have quite an imagination. A flair for the dramatic and embellishment. But I understand that people who don't live in Phoenix are afraid for us and will clutch their pearls, or like to gloat about our mind-blowing hot weather with people dying like flies, and/or may be delusional and think that the news should warn people about automotive radiators exploding.

The news does warn people often about the heat, but I have not seen any stories about exploding cars or their "fried" owners. Maybe you should contact Justin Lum, the investigative reporter at FOX 10 Phoenix about that. Also please contact the auto companies about that new failure mode you just imagined, I'm sure the engineers never thought of that. They'll be very thankful for all of your genuine concern, like we all are.

Or maybe these concerned people are just in awe about how brave we are to live here? I like to think of myself as Indiana Jones, living here in this dangerous place and defying death every time I open my door. I have a good imagination too...going to the grocery store I imagine I am walking thru the Temple of the Sun searching for the Holy Grail, and eluding the obstacle course of booby traps. Choose wisely or perish!

I could not live anymore in a cold climate, too boring. Oh wait - it's dangerous there too! People often suffer heart attacks while shoveling snow. I could lose toes to frostbite just walking around. Their car battery could easily fail, then it may not start and they could be literally "frosted". Makes me wonder how car radiators don't freeze solid, usually compact cars used for delivery, and strand their drivers in that merciless cold climate. Nor'easters are killers too.

People have frozen to death in their own driveway, probably just retrieving their mail. https://www.newsweek.com/older-woman...y-fall-1776365

Vermont winters sound dangerous! I could do a "reverse snowbird", live here in the summer and move to Vermont for the winter and defy death there too. Just call me "Vermont Jones"!

Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency said "more than 19,000 Americans" had died from cold-related causes between 1979 and 2016, according to their death certificates.
Across the country, the average death rate from falls was 64 per 100,000 older adults in 2018. The figure for Vermont was far higher, at 142 per 100,000.
Maybe I should venture over to the Vermont forum, start a thread and warn them about their dangerous climate?

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 07-21-2023 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area