Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2023, 02:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The average person around the country assumes that because we live in a desert, we are growing in population, and we are frying up cheap river water fast, then we must be screwed. And therefore, they all assume one day, we won't have potable water. That last POV could not be further from the truth! When you hear that, understand you are talking to someone who isn't educated on this topic. Yes, cheap river water is draining the rivers. Unfortunately, nearly all of the people who have moved here are also worried about "running out of water"!?! Then why did they buy before the most basic level of research?
Very well said, and I am for one hoping that this leads to more infill development, which could fuel continued growth for Phoenix metro for the next 100 years as opposed to further sprawl to places such as Buckeye, falling west of the White Tank Mountains.

It's a good chance to focus more on growing up instead of mostly growing out.

Last edited by locolife; 06-05-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 03:46 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We are getting over our skis with desalination. We are not near the point of actually needing that yet. It seems to have a buzzword quality for the public and a quick and painless fix, thus it is being bandied about. Yet, conservation itself is sufficient for current and projected needs well into the future. That does entail changes to our water laws outside of the groundwater management areas. And that means cuts to agricultural use of groundwater which will meet stiff political resistance.

As you pointed out with respect to Ducey, our laws need a major overhaul. How this is to be accomplished with a legislature more fixated on transgender bathrooms and voting access is problematic. Past legislatures could come together on water, if nothing else. It would be a shame to have to invest billions in premature desalination because we can't prioritize water use, re-use and conservation.
Great point. We don't need another AZ mothballed desalination plant. By the way, AZ isn't alone: There are mothballed plants all around the world (Santa Barbera, Australia, UK, etc). Google "Mothballed desalination plant" and you will see plenty. When the government spends someone else's money, bad decisions are often made. And it's not just in AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Very well said, and I am for one am hoping that this leads to more infill development, which could fuel continued growth for Phoenix metro for the next 100 years as opposed to further sprawl to places such as Buckeye, falling west of the White Tank Mountains.

Agreed ^^!

Old 06-05-2023, 06:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It would be a shame to have to invest billions in premature desalination because we can't prioritize water use, re-use and conservation.
We need to do all of the above, but desal shouldn't be entirely out of the question. While the water levels of Lake Powell & Lake Mead are unstable & unpredictable, I think it's safe to say that ocean water won't be dwindling anytime soon. No reason why it can't be implemented as one of the long term solutions. In addition, we certainly should prioritize water use and implement conservation efforts. The problem with this is: local & state governments focus a lot of their attention on penalizing homeowners with grass & shade trees because they're an easier target than agriculture (the largest glutton of all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Very well said, and I am for one hoping that this leads to more infill development, which could fuel continued growth for Phoenix metro for the next 100 years as opposed to further sprawl to places such as Buckeye, falling west of the White Tank Mountains.

100% agree, but growing upward depends not only on demand, but on what our "leaders" do to encourage it. The Coyotes arena/entertainment district proposed for Tempe would have been a good infill project in addition to cleaning up the old landfill, but it was voted down. Now, there's talk about a new arena location being in Mesa, Scottsdale, or reservation land. I don't hear about anybody at Phoenix City Hall stepping up to encourage the Coyotes to move back downtown where they should be.

Same when companies vacate their downtown offices and move to suburban office parks ... or when places like Musical Instrument Museum are located in far north Phoenix instead of in a centralized area. These things create more sprawl & discourage inward/upward development, but people seem to be OK with that. We will likely be a forever sprawling metro area, and continue to have a rather mediocre central core compared to many other big cities as a result.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:05 PM

639 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
California should also be researching and investing in ways to capture all of the snowpack/rainfall that empties into the ocean. Perhaps then, AZ wouldn't need to give up the lion's share of Colorado River water.
Absolutley not! Those streams and rivers are the breeding ground for many species of anadromous fish, and the species that depend upon them.

How about just stop crud like golf courses and lawns in a desert, never mind growing stuff like cotton.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:11 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
Absolutley not! Those streams and rivers are the breeding ground for many species of anadromous fish, and the species that depend upon them.

How about just stop crud like golf courses and lawns in a desert, never mind growing stuff like cotton.
Are anadromous fish solely depending on the trillions of gallons of water quickly flowing through polluted overflowing drain storms? And when waters recede too quickly, stranding fish in small isolated pools can't be a good thing, right?

Old 06-09-2023, 01:43 PM

63 posts, read 40,682 times
Because the discussion has diverted from home prices to water, has anyone considered how many chemicals are in the PHX water?

https://ktar.com/story/1282190/repor...%80%9D%20movie. This report is 7 years old but it proves many people have short memories. Someone wrote that PHX has an ocean of groundwater but how safe is it for human consumption?

Old 06-09-2023, 07:33 PM

369 posts, read 269,233 times
Default I mostly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We need to do all of the above, but desal shouldn't be entirely out of the question. While the water levels of Lake Powell & Lake Mead are unstable & unpredictable, I think it's safe to say that ocean water won't be dwindling anytime soon. No reason why it can't be implemented as one of the long term solutions. In addition, we certainly should prioritize water use and implement conservation efforts. The problem with this is: local & state governments focus a lot of their attention on penalizing homeowners with grass & shade trees because they're an easier target than agriculture (the largest glutton of all).

100% agree, but growing upward depends not only on demand, but on what our "leaders" do to encourage it. The Coyotes arena/entertainment district proposed for Tempe would have been a good infill project in addition to cleaning up the old landfill, but it was voted down. Now, there's talk about a new arena location being in Mesa, Scottsdale, or reservation land. I don't hear about anybody at Phoenix City Hall stepping up to encourage the Coyotes to move back downtown where they should be.

Same when companies vacate their downtown offices and move to suburban office parks ... or when places like Musical Instrument Museum are located in far north Phoenix instead of in a centralized area. These things create more sprawl & discourage inward/upward development, but people seem to be OK with that. We will likely be a forever sprawling metro area, and continue to have a rather mediocre central core compared to many other big cities as a result.
I and no one else I know have any reason to be in Downtown Phoenix, but maybe that would would change if it had more stuff to bring people there.

LA is a lot the same way, it has a big Downtown but residents and visitors alike would rather be somewhere else for things to do. It has multiple urban centers and I see Phoenix heading in that direction.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:44 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garden17 View Post
Because the discussion has diverted from home prices to water, has anyone considered how many chemicals are in the PHX water?

https://ktar.com/story/1282190/repor...%80%9D%20movie. This report is 7 years old but it proves many people have short memories. Someone wrote that PHX has an ocean of groundwater but how safe is it for human consumption?
The EPA current standard for hexavalent Chromium in drinking water is 100 parts per billion. That link shows Phoenix at 8 parts per billion - so not even 1/10 of the standard. Any water supplied by a municipal source in Arizona meets EPA drinking water standards. Like everywhere, private wells may or may not.

As for the ocean of brackish groundwater, that was my comment. Yes, that water would not be potable without treatment. Thus it would be a source of water for desalination only. That process could reduce potentially harmful components to safe levels.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:45 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post

You don't get it. A 2017 study by the U of A came to the conclusion that golf courses in Arizona provided 3.7 billion dollars to the economy. I don't play golf, but I recognize the importance of things such as golf even if I personally don't benefit by them.

Make that 6 billion total impact as of 2023.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You don't get it. A 2017 study by the U of A came to the conclusion that golf courses in Arizona provided 3.7 billion dollars to the economy. I don't play golf, but I recognize the importance of things such as golf even if I personally don't benefit by them.

Make that 6 billion total impact as of 2023.
Exactly. Golf courses are one of the highest beneficial (meaning economic return) uses of water. Without winter golf, the tourism industry would suffer immensely.
Agriculture too is important adding over 23 billion to the economy of the state. The choices are not simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area