Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2023, 07:13 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,419,895 times

Advertisements

The new class divide will be cash buyers vs. all others. And what's going to happen, when the cash buyers start running the addresses through www.riskfactor.com? What are the chances that AZ leadership has properly assessed and addressed the water problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 12:22 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
The new class divide will be cash buyers vs. all others. And what's going to happen, when the cash buyers start running the addresses through www.riskfactor.com? What are the chances that AZ leadership has properly assessed and addressed the water problems?
I read your post 3x. Huh?

Old 07-11-2023, 03:35 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Government won't do anything until it blows up in their faces. Ground water is dropping already causing fissures to crack open. All those homes in the desert that is on well water could end up dry overnight. Can't imagine 1000's of homes having to haul water like Reo Verde hills.

Water restrictions should have gone in when Lake Mead hit halfway point now they say it will take 20 years of what we got last winter to get back to 2000 level. This isn't just an Arizona problem it's entire southwest. We are building water parks in Glendale.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:09 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Government won't do anything until it blows up in their faces. Ground water is dropping already causing fissures to crack open. All those homes in the desert that is on well water could end up dry overnight. Can't imagine 1000's of homes having to haul water like Reo Verde hills.
The Rio Verde Foothills situation is isolated & different than the norm. Those residents apparently thought Scottsdale was going to be their water supplier until eternity (the "entitlement" attitude once again). Scottsdale is a separate city and shouldn't have to be the supplier for an unincorporated community because it's not Scottsdale's responsibility. It's a somewhat separate situation from the drought/groundwater issue as a whole.

Quote:
Water restrictions should have gone in when Lake Mead hit halfway point now they say it will take 20 years of what we got last winter to get back to 2000 level. This isn't just an Arizona problem it's entire southwest. We are building water parks in Glendale.
I definitely agree that the government is short sighted and unwilling to react to problems as preventive measures. Unfortunately, the entire human race is pretty much that way. The levels at Lake Mead & Lake Powell aren't anything to take lightly, but the solution is NOT to stop building. As I mentioned many times before: waterparks, office buildings, golf courses, and homes with grass, trees, and pools aren't the water gluttons. Agriculture is! Get rid of all the cotton & alfalfa fields, replace them with new development, and that alone will likely save nearly 70% of the available water supply.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:55 PM

12 posts, read 10,698 times
I remember fed chairmen Paulson stating this on Friday,,,,,everything is fine nothing to see here.
Monday the stock market crashed along with housing,banks folded.the price difference is worse then in 08 .the economy will crash you will be the last to know.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchafe View Post
I remember fed chairmen Paulson stating this on Friday,,,,,everything is fine nothing to see here.
Monday the stock market crashed along with housing,banks folded.the price difference is worse then in 08 .the economy will crash you will be the last to know.
I remember Ravi Batra writing "The Great Depression of 1990". It was #1 on the NYT's best sellers list. Yet, his prophecy failed to come true. In actuality, the 1990s realized strong economic growth. And the US stock market grew at an 18 percent annualized rate. Yea, some dope (me) believed it. That cost me a fortune in the stock market.

What were you saying again? Because I want to take copious notes. Ff a guy on the internet says PHX is going to crash, I better sell FAST!

Old 07-27-2023, 02:43 PM

369 posts, read 269,139 times
Default Omg.

Quote:
Economics and education aren't your strong points so we'll move on, nothing to see here.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:02 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I remember Ravi Batra writing "The Great Depression of 1990". It was #1 on the NYT's best sellers list. Yet, his prophecy failed to come true. In actuality, the 1990s realized strong economic growth. And the US stock market grew at an 18 percent annualized rate. Yea, some dope (me) believed it. That cost me a fortune in the stock market.

What were you saying again? Because I want to take copious notes. Ff a guy on the internet says PHX is going to crash, I better sell FAST!
I heard the opposite in 2007 subprime is not going to have any effect on the economy.

The fact is economist are wrong most of the time.

This is from Financial Times 2014

In the 2001 issue of the International Journal of Forecasting, an economist from the International Monetary Fund, Prakash Loungani, published a survey of the accuracy of economic forecasts throughout the 1990s. He reached two conclusions. The first was that forecasts are all much the same. There was little to choose between those produced by the IMF and the World Bank, and those from private sector forecasters. The second conclusion was that the predictive record of economists was terrible. Loungani wrote: “The record of failure to predict recessions is virtually unblemished.”

Old 07-28-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I heard the opposite in 2007 subprime is not going to have any effect on the economy.

The fact is economist are wrong most of the time.

This is from Financial Times 2014

In the 2001 issue of the International Journal of Forecasting, an economist from the International Monetary Fund, Prakash Loungani, published a survey of the accuracy of economic forecasts throughout the 1990s. He reached two conclusions. The first was that forecasts are all much the same. There was little to choose between those produced by the IMF and the World Bank, and those from private sector forecasters. The second conclusion was that the predictive record of economists was terrible. Loungani wrote: “The record of failure to predict recessions is virtually unblemished.”
Here you go. From the Harvard Business Review who was extremely impressed by USA economic predictions: https://hbr.org/1984/09/are-economic...current%20year.

"Each year has its own peculiarities, but the overall record is impressive. The group shows an average error of only 1.1 percentage points between the October forecast of real GNP for the target year and the actual figure. By and large the early forecasts capture the directional change from the current year."

But to be clear, the data was gathered by the "group of 44 leading economic forecasting services". Also, your article was from comparing the entire world of economics. We agree, some people certainly get it wrong. But in 2023 it seems, EVERYONE is too big to fail. So the idiotic US government will bail out banks, commercial real estate (a pending crash), etc. It's the exclusive reason why we haven't had a recession in the country in a LONG time. Bail out after bail out. One day, it's going to happen in a big way. The how and why are down the road.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:42 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
ROFL...wait...the stock market "crashed"? What is your definition of "Crashed"? It dipped...the DOW is still over 35k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area