Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2023, 09:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I and no one else I know have any reason to be in Downtown Phoenix, but maybe that would would change if it had more stuff to bring people there.

LA is a lot the same way, it has a big Downtown but residents and visitors alike would rather be somewhere else for things to do. It has multiple urban centers and I see Phoenix heading in that direction.

20-years ago this was accurate but it sounds like you don't go downtown much lately, it's fairly packed these days, especially on weekend nights of course. And there's a lot of reasons to go but if arts/culture/unique dining/coffee shops and such aren't really your thing then I an see why it's not a draw. It seems like more than a few people residents want to be downtown. There have been12,000 new housing units since 2000 and another 3,500 units under construction now.

First Fridays and Roosevelt Row in general
Suns/D'Baks games
Phoenix Art Museum
Heard Museum
AZ Science Center
Friendship Garden
Drunk Shakespere

Shows at Walter Studio, Van Buren, Lost Leaf, Crescent Ballroom, Orpheum, StandUp Live, Walter Studios, The Nash, Melinda's Alley (just to name a few)
Food scene is rocking, from Harumi to Sottisie, Pomo to Lom Wong. There's literally everything.
The coffee options are extremely underrated- from the local legends at Press to great outdoor patios like Songbird, no better places to sip and read.
Bar scene is great, most of the valley breweries have locations downtown now plus you've got the whole speak easy lineup.

Last edited by locolife; 06-11-2023 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 09:57 AM

7,910 posts, read 3,885,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Can you, or someone smarter than me, explain how Arizona could have a functional desalination plant? Wouldn't you need to be next to an ocean for that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It would be a partnership with MX (Sea of Cortez in Puerto Peñasco or Rocky Point)
. https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2022...-first-hurdle/ It didn't pass.
The issue is the California Coastal Commission. It won't allow desalination plants along the coast of California. One hypothetical work-around is to bring salt water from the Sea of Cortez into the Imperial Valley of California, and use geothermal power there to power the desalination plant. Then, Imperial County & the rest of Southern California uses that clean water, taking less water from Lake Mead, thereby leaving more water to be drawn by Arizona, Nevada, and Native American Tribes.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:16 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,224,503 times
20 years ago I could drive through downtown Phoenix on a Sunday and see almost no cars and no people. Looked deserted. I'm guessing that's not the case nowadays?

Old 06-11-2023, 08:09 PM

369 posts, read 270,230 times
Default It's still not very exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
20-years ago this was accurate but it sounds like you don't go downtown much lately, it's fairly packed these days, especially on weekend nights of course. And there's a lot of reasons to go but if arts/culture/unique dining/coffee shops and such aren't really your thing then I an see why it's not a draw. It seems like more than a few people residents want to be downtown. There have been12,000 new housing units since 2000 and another 3,500 units under construction now.

First Fridays and Roosevelt Row in general
Suns/D'Baks games
Phoenix Art Museum
Heard Museum
AZ Science Center
Friendship Garden
Drunk Shakespere

Shows at Walter Studio, Van Buren, Lost Leaf, Crescent Ballroom, Orpheum, StandUp Live, Walter Studios, The Nash, Melinda's Alley (just to name a few)
Food scene is rocking, from Harumi to Sottisie, Pomo to Lom Wong. There's literally everything.
The coffee options are extremely underrated- from the local legends at Press to great outdoor patios like Songbird, no better places to sip and read.
Bar scene is great, most of the valley breweries have locations downtown now plus you've got the whole speak easy lineup.
It doesn't have an international district, Chinatown, ethnic areas or anything too notable that really stands out. A lot of other cities have these things.

Downtown has totally improved compared to when I moved here almost 30 years ago but it still has a ways to go.

I work at home and don't have much need to drive very far from my condo. Maybe I'd go to Downtown if it was more stimulating with a wider array of stuff to do.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have an international district, Chinatown, ethnic areas or anything too notable that really stands out. A lot of other cities have these things.

Downtown has totally improved compared to when I moved here almost 30 years ago but it still has a ways to go.

I work at home and don't have much need to drive very far from my condo. Maybe I'd go to Downtown if it was more stimulating with a wider array of stuff to do.
Totally up to you if you want to go downtown or not but it's definitely the major urban center in the valley now and a big draw for residents. It wasn't that way 20 years ago.

There isn't specific international districts per se there are several international cultural amenities including the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Irish Cultural Center. Both of which host events. There's also an array of quality cuisine covering most flavors of food.

Other cities in the valley do not have the same array of things to do. Other large cities do but that's not what we're comparing here.

Last edited by locolife; 06-12-2023 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
20 years ago I could drive through downtown Phoenix on a Sunday and see almost no cars and no people. Looked deserted. I'm guessing that's not the case nowadays?
Big difference but it's not going to look like times square on a summer Sunday afternoon, that's for sure. 20-years ago Roosevet Row barely existed. Now it looks like this, the closest series of tall buildings are all new in the last 10ish years or so. My own Photo.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:00 PM

369 posts, read 270,230 times
Default It's better than nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Totally up to you if you want to go downtown or not but it's definitely the major urban center in the valley now and a big draw for residents. It wasn't that way 20 years ago.

There isn't specific international districts per se there are several international cultural amenities including the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Irish Cultural Center. Both of which host events. There's also an array of quality cuisine covering most flavors of food.

Other cities in the valley do not have the same array of things to do. Other large cities do but that's not what we're comparing here.
I'm part Chinese and I enjoy Asian culture. In LA you have international districts dedicated to Koreans, Chinese and other ethnic areas close to Downtown that aren't found here.

I used to enjoy Chinese Cultural Center even as kitschy as it was, we don't even have that anymore.

Downtown might be the valley's major urban center and I'm sure it has some interesting stuff that is better than having nothing at all, but it is missing some big things that other cities have.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:15 PM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Exactly. Golf courses are one of the highest beneficial (meaning economic return) uses of water. Without winter golf, the tourism industry would suffer immensely.
Agriculture too is important adding over 23 billion to the economy of the state. The choices are not simple.
I bet there will be a day when specific ultra-high water usage crops will be unable to farm. Take the pecans tree which consumes 34,000 gallons of water per year per tree https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/...ubs/az1400.pdf. Those 34,000 gallons produce a whopping 40 pounds annually. As I worked out the math in another thread, AZ pecans use up almost as much water as Tuscon (actually, 3/4 of Tuscon's annual water consumption). Additionally, farms can use 40% less water by using drip lines https://cm.azcentral.com/offers-reg/...uild=atoms-pid . As we both know, when push comes to shove, there is a lot that can be done about poor water choices. But golf courses that use recycled water won't be on the chopping block. though, I expect NEW golf courses might not happen in the future.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:37 PM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The issue is the California Coastal Commission. It won't allow desalination plants along the coast of California. One hypothetical work-around is to bring salt water from the Sea of Cortez into the Imperial Valley of California, and use geothermal power there to power the desalination plant. Then, Imperial County & the rest of Southern California uses that clean water, taking less water from Lake Mead, thereby leaving more water to be drawn by Arizona, Nevada, and Native American Tribes.
?? Look at the map where the Sea of Cortez is located.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm part Chinese and I enjoy Asian culture. In LA you have international districts dedicated to Koreans, Chinese and other ethnic areas close to Downtown that aren't found here.

I used to enjoy Chinese Cultural Center even as kitschy as it was, we don't even have that anymore.

Downtown might be the valley's major urban center and I'm sure it has some interesting stuff that is better than having nothing at all, but it is missing some big things that other cities have.
You mean to tell me that PHX doesn't have the same cultural options as mega-city LA?

What did you do at the Chinese Cultural Center? Suggest checking out MeKong Plaza and the rest of the businesses on Dobson Road in Mesa. They just announced a fairly large expansion earlier this year.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...dates-15294240
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area