Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 04:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
"Live and let live" doesn't apply with COVID. If it doesn't hurt me, go for it.

Using your new-found, open-minded thinking, I say tough-t_tty! Because I suddenly support your reckless partying co-worker who got COVID. After all, you can see why we don't want to "turn over control" to the government. Right? You just need to wear a mask. Never mind the science says otherwise.
I work around COVID every day, we can't force patients to wear masks and some do refuse. I've kept myself safe and covid free by protecting MYSELF regardless of what is going on around me. You armchair scientists need to get out in the real world. A bunch of keyboard commandos telling us "what it is really like out there".

No idea what that mess you posted is all about so I'm going to refrain from commenting further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 04:54 PM

9,761 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You keep talking about droplets. If I'm not coughing, sneezing, or talking - where are these droplets coming from?
From breathing. Did you watch the video link I gave you? Here is a technical overview. Read https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/

"The scenarios in respect of the generation of droplets and aerosol, particularly in the indoor environment, have not been adequately understood, and thus, insights into the plausible mechanisms are worthy of being explored. Duguid (1945), for the first time, has explored the characteristics of droplets and aerosol from human expiratory activities with chest infections, and such information is presented in Table 1 . Duguid (1945) has observed that 95% of particles were often smaller than 100 μm, and the majority were between 4 and 8 μm. The findings corroborated that breathing and exhalation originated from the nose have shed up to a few hundreds of droplets of which some were aerosols. In contrast, talking, coughing, and sneezing have produced more aerosols than droplets (Table 1)."

Breathing out of your nose with a "sigh" (burst) increased the droplets. It's all about the load. So talking adds more droplets. Singing even more. Yelling at a bar even more. There is a table on that link. This is from United States National Library of Medicine.

So when you checkout and the person asks if you need anything else, do you shake your head and refuse to talk? If you have a tickly throat, do you clear your throat ? It should be pretty obvious why people think someone is a dick that walks into a store with complete ignorance or arrogance.

Now we all have learned that COVID is overblown. There is no question about it! Still, wear your mask (it IS a PITA) and do your part.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I work around COVID every day, we can't force patients to wear masks and some do refuse. I've kept myself safe and covid free by protecting MYSELF regardless of what is going on around me. You armchair scientists need to get out in the real world. A bunch of keyboard commandos telling us "what it is really like out there".

No idea what that mess you posted is all about so I'm going to refrain from commenting further.
I'll try again. You were b_tching about your co-worker partying. But we now learned that you shouldn't have cared about getting it from her because you are protected. Did you get tested for COVID when she got it? Why? You were protected! I'm trying to point the irony.

re: armchair scientist. Making such a silly comment about wearing a mask that protects you (outside of a properly fitted N95 that still has ESD properties) speaks volumes. You don't want to compare our technical backgrounds versus your "real-world experience". You can study technical journals and learn without doing the work yourself. That's the way it works in any technical industry.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I'll try again. You were b_tching about your co-worker partying. But we now learned that you shouldn't have cared about getting it from her because you are protected. Did you get tested for COVID when she got it? Why? You were protected! I'm trying to point the irony.

re: armchair scientist. Making such a silly comment about wearing a mask that protects you (outside of a properly fitted N95 that still has ESD properties) speaks volumes. You don't want to compare our technical backgrounds versus your "real-world experience". You can study technical journals and learn without doing the work yourself. That's the way it works in any technical industry.
Huh? I still think she is an idiot, I'll still complain about it, and I still care because she did and can bring it into our facility putting everyone at risk. You're not following along. I've protected myself but there are others that are not protecting themselves that are being treated and work in our facility. I work along side her every day so it is more than casual contact that we're talking about in a grocery store or you're going to run into on the street.

I work in healthcare and am required to be tested weekly (current schedule). I was not tested because she was positive. That is the difference between you and I. I'm around people with covid EVERY SINGLE DAY. We are not tested every time we are exposed to someone with covid or I would be tested numerous times a day. I work directly with people with covid almost daily. I've been "exposed" more times than I can count. I will say, it has slowed down over the last month thankfully.

There is nothing that is going to keep us 100% safe. I'm going to do the best I can to keep myself safe in light of the other idiots around me.

Techinical industry? We're talking about the healthcare industry, not the technical industry. Making comments like "you don't want to compare our technical backgrounds" when you have no idea what my technical background entails is comical. Similar to saying my dad can beat up your dad.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
Another stupid analogy of yours...you can't protect yourself from someone else texting and driving. You can certainly protect yourself from covid and others who don't wear masks. Wear a mask yourself, social distance, wash your hands, don't touch your face, etc.

I'm going to move on since several of you won't have a rational discussion on the issue.

Heck, I support wearing masks and wear a mask every day even when not at work. I'm not advocating for not wearing masks.
It's a perfect analogy. You may not like how obvious it makes the hypocrisy, however. Ever hear of defensive driving? Fool proof, no, of course not, neither is my mask when others don't wear theirs. Same diff.

If we're going to make excuses and allow others free reign to act reckless under the guise of freedom, it needs to apply to more than just masks. But of course no one wants that; only this one, silly little issue that is apparently such an oppressive ask. I really think the whole "ma freedumb" shtick is just a cover for having weirdly delicate facial skin. That's the only real explanation, right?

Old 09-17-2020, 07:32 PM

Old 09-17-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Huh? I still think she is an idiot, I'll still complain about it, and I still care because she did and can bring it into our facility putting everyone at risk.
To clarify, that's not what you said. Because you are protected. Therefore, "everyone" isn't at risk.

Quote:
I work in healthcare and am required to be tested weekly (current schedule).
Our son is really around COVID hourly. He is an ER doc in the Bay area. He hasn't been tested once. I know, I'm an "armchair" scientist. Zyou know more than me. That said, if I test 100% of your facility, will someone test positive? If not (and we know the answer), you aren't around it every day.

Quote:
There is nothing that is going to keep us 100% safe. I'm going to do the best I can to keep myself safe in light of the other idiots around me.
But damn close. That's another topic.

Quote:

Techinical industry? We're talking about the healthcare industry, not the technical industry..
For Christ sake. It's as technical of an industry as can be! Maybe not your facility that wipes geezers rear-ends. But "healthcare" is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y technical! Our kids studied the topic for 8 years (and going on 13 years with a fellowship). I must ask, WTF are you taking about? Remind me not to end up in your retirement system.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times
When I'm in the area, I drive as fast as I want drunk down the 303. Mah freedumbs! No dictatorship!

Old 09-17-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
This is a fundamental misunderstanding that is causing huge problems. Your mask, unless it is a true fitted respirator, does little to protect you. What it does is minimize the spread of the virus from you to others. Other people wearing masks is what protects you. The actions of others does have an impact on the safety of you and your family and you shouldn't give them a pass for the sake of a "live and let live" philosophy. What's right for you and your family is for everyone to be masked.
Let me guess, you read that on the internet or heard it on TV?

I've never worn a true fitted respirator (N95) a day in my life. I wear a cheap paper disposable surgical mask ever single day and am exposed to and work with people with COVID all the time. I've reported to work every single workday since the pandemic started. I bring every staff member that tests positive for covid into my office, offer my assistance, fill out paperwork with them, council them, provide them directions for reporting back to work, etc. Knock on wood, I'm tested weekly and six months later I'm still covid free thanks to my disposable surgical mask.

I've been repeatedly "exposed" to coughing and hacking patients that are not wearing masks that later test positive for COVID. Again, only a disposable surgical mask.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
To clarify, that's not what you said. Because you are protected. Therefore, "everyone" isn't at risk.

Our son is really around COVID hourly. He is an ER doc in the Bay area. He hasn't been tested once. I know, I'm an "armchair" scientist. Zyou know more than me. That said, if I test 100% of your facility, will someone test positive? If not (and we know the answer), you aren't around it every day.

But damn close. That's another topic.

For Christ sake. It's as technical of an industry as can be! Maybe not your facility that wipes geezers rear-ends. But "healthcare" is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y technical! Our kids studied the topic for 8 years (and going on 13 years with a fellowship). I must ask, WTF are you taking about? Remind me not to end up in your retirement system.

Listing your children's backgrounds and careers as proof of your expertise is a strong argument.

Again, it shows how little you know about the topic. We are required by the state to test our entire facility weekly for that exact reason (700 people). When we test our entire facility someone (or multiple people) come up positive which requires us to continue testing weekly. When that stops we get to move to monthly testing. Anything else I can clarify for you?

The state dictates testing in the healthcare industry. I find it hard to believe that an ER doctor has not been tested. I'll take your word for it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area