Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM

611 posts, read 1,994,856 times

Advertisements

For those who own a pool or have owned one do you use it? Do you ever wish you didn't have it?

I have 3 kids 3,6 and 8. We're will be moving soon and I believe that we should have a pool with a fence and alarm along with a grassy area with a nice sturdy playset. Since it is so hot in the summer I would imagine that even if we move to a place with a community pool it will be too hot in the daytime to use. I figure we can use our yard when the sun gets lower in the late afternoon and early evening. Any thoughts. I don't want my kids trapped in the house all day and then with nothing to do at night.

I am not worried about operating costs and will pay a pool service for weekly cleaning and maintenance. My kids are the type who love water and never want to get out. How many good months a year do you get out of your non heated pools? What time of day during the summer do you use your pools and yards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM

841 posts, read 4,845,758 times
I'm glad you posted this question. I'm thinking the same thing as my husband and I are thinking of buying a house with a pool. We've heard nightmares about maintenance, costs, etc. but our boys, too, love to swim and be in the water. We think it would be great to have a pool for summertime fun. My boys are 6 and 4.
I'm eager to hear responses from families that have pools and what their experiences are.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,411,787 times
If you have young kids pools are worth every penny. They will use it like you would never imagine. Once they get older and are grown or gone, the pool, for most, is just an expensive piece of landscaping. On the other hand, a pool is eye candy even if you don't use it and a yard without a pool is boring and nobody want to go out there.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,935,758 times
Quote:
I am not worried about operating costs and will pay a pool service for weekly cleaning and maintenance
Even the more "professional" things you can do yourself. It's not hard. Just test the chemicals in the water every so often, and change them as needed.

Trust me, you won't want to pay for people to come out every week. It's not necessary. I could understand having them do deep cleaning or something once a month, but the routine weekly things you won't need help with.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,811,076 times
We don't have children living at home, but we have a pool, and we're very happy we do. When the grandkids come over, or when guests come over with children, the pool is great. It's also relaxing to sit on the back patio by the pool.

We have a pool service that costs about $80 per month including chemicals and for me it's well worth it because I tend to slack off checking the pool because of my lack of time. They keep it clean and keep the chemicals balanced better than I could do myself because they have the knowledge.

About every three months they backwash the filter and add diatamatious earth to it, and that charge is $75 total.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,192,635 times
The thing to really keep in mind is watching your kids around the pool. We have too many drownings here in the summer.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 AM

323 posts, read 995,673 times
Pools are a must with the kids, it's how you can handle the summers here. Yes they can be a pain from time to time but the postives outway the negatives. I wouldn't live here without one and I have elementary school kids that love it. We have the grass area and playset with a fenced pool and it has served us well. Good luck and go for the pool!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM

682 posts, read 2,570,752 times
Have there been problems with bees attacking people in their pools?

altus2006

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM

13,268 posts, read 21,900,702 times
We've only had our pool for a year, but so far it's a godsend. Pool time is a chance for the entire family to bond. And it's so gratifying to see your young kids get comfortable in the water.

A couple of things we feel we did right I will share with you. The first is to get an attached spa. We use ours year round. Takes 20 mins in the summer to heat, and over an hour in the winter, but that's still very minimal expense. There's nothing like sitting out in the spa, under the stars at night after the kids are in bed, with a glass of wine. Mmmm.....

The other thing we did was to get an automatic pool cover. It has so many advantages. For one thing, it's the only safety device you need. No fence, no alarms, no special door latches, nothing except for the autocover. It keeps bad stuff out like blowing sand, leaves, bird poop, animals, etc. It eliminates water loss due to evaporation, keeps chlorine in, and keeps the heat in which extends your swimming season. The only downside is the cost -- they're expensive! But they're not that bad when you factor in the money you save from not needing the other safety features, the money you save on chemicals, water, heat, and cleaning bills. Highly recommended.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM

35 posts, read 99,131 times
Default Automatic cover

Thant sounds like an excellent idea. How expensive was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area