Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Bugs really creep me out but my mind is amost made up about making this move. But I've heard terrible stories about snakes, spiders and scorpions. Can some Arizona locals please tell me about how you deal with the bugs and such?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM

545 posts, read 1,487,101 times
I've been out here for 6 months. I saw a rattlesnake my first week, but nothing since then. I don't have scorpion issues where I am, but I hear it's a block to block situation in many areas. Some people have no issues with them at all and some have to deal with them quite a bit. I know you can purchase spray for the entry points on your home that will kill them almost on contact. That's what I'm planning on doing and only as a safeguard because I have a small child. I haven't had any spider issues either. There are more bugs than I thought there would be, but they're mostly flies just like you have in Indiana. Almost no mosquitos, except for a few weeks at the end of monsoon season last year because it was so wet. Bottom line, don't let these things keep you from doing what you want to do. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM

57 posts, read 119,407 times
ditto - research particular areas and ensure you maintain a pest control program either yourself or through a contractor. i hate spiders esp. and the brown recluse is just a watch out for .... folded laundry etc. just be aware and careful and you'll be fine. i am a snowbird who bought there 5 yrs ago, have never seen a snake or brown recluse. only found dead scorpions, little guys, in aftermath of spraying, but check ALL my shoes before I step into them and check a bed that hasn't been used in a while (am told dryer sheets placed in bed between mattress, linen drive recluses / scorpions, they hate the smell).

my tenants found black widow spiders IN the BBQ area, this is very common as they set up nests in there, and this after a 3 month absence so they knew what to look for. again, just be aware, don't buy in a bad area, get to know your house and you'll be more relaxed. e.g. again my own quirk but i have dark floors so would not see a tan scorpion so i wear slippers in the house ALL the time.

finally, we had an influx of scorpions (all round dead) in our garage - they didn't make it into the house due to spraying - this occurred during a construction period in the next block, the insects all scattered when they were disrupted. again, this was temporary.

hope this helps, this is my summary after 5 years. love it there.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:07 PM

498 posts, read 544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylarannae View Post
Bugs really creep me out but my mind is amost made up about making this move. But I've heard terrible stories about snakes, spiders and scorpions. Can some Arizona locals please tell me about how you deal with the bugs and such?

Thank you

Wear shoes, stomp hard, run fast.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:29 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,169 times
I have killed 1 scorpion in 8 years (I think it came in with a box of wood I got from someone else). I kill about 6 black widows per year (outside). They move in quick when the poison wears off. I have seen a few wolf spiders. Luckily I haven't seen a brown recluse

Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylarannae View Post

Thank you
I would suggest you come down here, visit the neighborhood youre looking to live in, and ask the neighbors for an honest answer if theyve had problems. Simple as that. Its hit-or-miss in Phoenix when it comes to scorpions. Where we are there are no scorpions, but a few blocks over a friend has pretty bad issues.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,311,465 times
I find there are a LOT less bugs in Phoenix than the Midwest. Yes, there are scarier bugs like scorpions, but it is better than swarms of gnats and mosquitoes that are hard to escape in other parts of the country.

Though there do seem to be a LOT of flies here. But still, bugs in general are far fewer than where I used to live.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 AM

23 posts, read 20,316 times
ugh....I probably shouldn't ask this because I am doing serious research and thinking about relocating to Phoenix. But I have a huge fear of insects etc. Are these scorpions you speak about poisonous? Deadly? And spiders? How can you people live with all these huge insects? Seems so scary. I'm in MA and I hate the bugs here. But they're mostly harmless. Just gross and annoying.

I think I better learn to spell before I move.

Last edited by HUNOOSH; 03-31-2015 at 01:18 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Oh, for heaven's sake. "All these huge insects"? Not all our scorpions are huge, and many of us have never, or rarely, even seen one. So, we live with them just fine, for the most part. Yes, some areas do have more scorpions, I've never lived in one of those. They are poisonous, but not deadly. Same with the spiders. But if you are THAT frightened of insects, best stay where you are, so the fear of the unknown doesn't add to your problems.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 AM

35 posts, read 36,471 times
Moved here a month ago- I see a lot more insects than I ever expected. Haven't seen a scorpion yet. First it was the crane flies? Then tons of bees, just started getting flies. Granted these are outdoors. Inside I've had many of those come in because I keep the doors open often, my fault. spiders nothing creepier than I've seen in the Midwest though. Oh all kinds of weird bugs in the pool, wide variety. I was stung today by some teeny tiny bee/ant/fly thingy- never seen one before but it hurt for a bit. That's my honest truth, a lot more than I expected.... Thoigh I appreciate not having a ton of mosquito welts.

Had the house & yard professionally sprayed. They recommend bimonthly... I'm going with monthly to be extra safe! These services are very reasonable around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area