Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times

Advertisements

Aside from the usual little biting buggers flying here, there, and everywhere, the other day I discovered a jumping spider living in my mail box - kind of odd, because it's black and hotter than an oven, even when it's cloudy and raining. Then yesterday, I repotted some plants in the bathroom windows, and one of them had a tarantula right behind it - complete with a really big egg sac! I thought they lived outside, but I guess bugs make an exception for me. Then there was the lightning bug on the floor next to my bed. I have no idea how or where he got in, but he sure did a lot of flashing. I did manage to get him outside again in one piece, so I hope he found a lady friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
That's one reason we like winter so much around here.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
That's one reason we like winter so much around here.
Hmmm..... Have you forgotten it was winter when I got bitten by a tick and spent far too much of December in the hospital?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Yeah, but you're tough!

We eat ticks for breakfast on our cheerios! I'd rather deal with ticks and sloppy roads than city life any day. BTDT.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:51 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I had pest control four times a year cuz I lived in a heavily wooded area. I didn't like the things on my doors that left a trail of slime anymore than I liked being bit four times by the Brown Recluse or the more common pests. End of problem. It was the best investment I ever made. I did it for almost 20 years.

You do not want venomous spiders to bite you or your family.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I had pest control four times a year cuz I lived in a heavily wooded area. I didn't like the things on my doors that left a trail of slime anymore than I liked being bit four times by the Brown Recluse or the more common pests. End of problem. It was the best investment I ever made. I did it for almost 20 years.

You do not want venomous spiders to bite you or your family.
I've heard there are copperheads around me, but I haven't seen any. As for the creepy-crawlies, I've had one kind or another around for the last 40 years or so. All that have bitten me are the flying kind - so far. The only ones I have around that I'm rather nervous about are wasps, I don't much like itching, but it beats all hell out of being stung!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Aside from the usual little biting buggers flying here, there, and everywhere, the other day I discovered a jumping spider living in my mail box - kind of odd, because it's black and hotter than an oven, even when it's cloudy and raining. Then yesterday, I repotted some plants in the bathroom windows, and one of them had a tarantula right behind it - complete with a really big egg sac! I thought they lived outside, but I guess bugs make an exception for me. Then there was the lightning bug on the floor next to my bed. I have no idea how or where he got in, but he sure did a lot of flashing. I did manage to get him outside again in one piece, so I hope he found a lady friend.
OK, Kari, give. What the h*** did you do with the tarantula (complete with a really big egg sac)? I break out in a sweat just reading this.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
OK, Kari, give. What the h*** did you do with the tarantula (complete with a really big egg sac)? I break out in a sweat just reading this.
In the first place, spiders don't much bother me as long as they stay out of my space. I actually enjoy seeing big webs covered with dew in the morning sun, but that's outside. I also had a lot of practice getting tarantulas back outside last year at Camp Peaceful. Now, though, I have this really nice little shop vac, and they vanish into it quite nicely!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Tell you what. I've lived in lots of places, but the scariest bugs I've encountered, besides when I was stationed on Guam, was in NC. They had the strangest flying, winged critters. Huge things---all sorts of shades of brown and gray with wings. Loved the screens and the lights! That humidity brings out the worst of the bug world.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
You just have An attraction
Quote:
I have no idea how or where he got in, but he sure did a lot of flashing.
Was "HE" wearing boxer shorts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma