Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Got my citronella candles lit so I can enjoy the very warm "Spring" evening. Noticed many little nats/bugs lately & was wondering if anyone else is expierencing a larger number of mosquitos or bugs.

Does anyone use those machines that catch them?

I sprayed that Cutter Bug Spray on the lawn and I guess I need to contact them. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
My DH sprays our lawn every year and it cuts down on bugs. We hardly see any until after dark here and we are on a wooded lot.

Now if only someone can invent a deterrent for Hornets/wasps. THAT i would be interested in..

Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
They were out all day! The gnats were flying about in the morning. But this evening, these bigger gnats were biting and leaving itchy and sore spots similar to what horseflies leave. Too bad about the bat population!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
You're in luck... well it's a trap not a deterrent for Wasps. I'm allergic to bee stings so I can't have them around. Yet... all day I stood on my deck with spray in hand and watched where they entered and shot em. I don't even have an EpiPen! It's amazing where they look to nest. In between roof line and gutter, behind shutters! In my bathroom vent pipe!

But at Lowes I seen something I never did before. Cone shape thingy to attract and trap them. $10 each. I may have to try 1. Let me know if you do.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:27 AM

I will let you know if i try it. But does it kill them or are they then alive and inside and angry??
They were all along my roofline between the gutter and the roof as well. We always have them ALL summer long, it makes me avoid my own deck and take the kids to the park to play instead..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
The bees and wasps were out and agressive yesterday, with the heat! At our home, we are finding lots of woodbees. My husband was filling their entrances into the roofline with caulk. There are sprays you can buy that are 'long lasting', meaning you spray them along the house and it deters them somewhat, until it rains and then you apply again. I don't remember the name now but I think Home Depot/Lowes has it.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 AM

I wish there was a place to live that did not have hornets/wasps. Oh well..

Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I haven't seen any mosquitoes yet, the bugs have only just emerged here. Thankfully the bats that live on the side of our house are still there, we saw them outside the other night. We do get a lot of bugs in the spring, we're also surrounded by woods. They tend to stop bothering us after a few weeks though, whether that's because of the bats or something else, I'm not sure. We do get bees, but it's only the yellow jackets that bother me. They tend to build nests in the ground or on the side of the house here. We just spray their nests after dark when they are trapped and sleeping.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
Got my citronella candles lit so I can enjoy the very warm "Spring" evening. Noticed many little nats/bugs lately & was wondering if anyone else is expierencing a larger number of mosquitos or bugs.Does anyone use those machines that catch them?I sprayed that Cutter Bug Spray on the lawn and I guess I need to contact them. lol
If you want to talk BUGS then look on the Maine forum and they will teach you all you want to know about bugs. I would imagine that the blackflies are starting to come out up there with the warm weather starting. I don't think I have ever run across a more irritating bug than a blackfly. I heard that if you have any kind of bug irritating you while outside that if you start a regular routine of taking Vitamin B (not sure which..B6? B12?) that it will eventually keep bugs away from you. Anyone else hear this?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:21 AM

My DH bought this trap Amazon.com: Rescue Reuseable Yellowjacket Trap with Attractant #YJTR-SF4: Home & Garden
yesterday at a home depot and we set it up and have already caught a few!!
I'd suggest it, I'll let you know how it goes the rest of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut