Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,509,257 times

Advertisements

""The federal courts all across America and here in Arizona ruled that there's a first amendment protected right to beg in public, so that made our law unconstitutional," said Jon Kavanaugh."

ok, got that part. But.....it seems to be there's loophole city in this. Why can't a city just make the median area a no trespassing zone, for safety reasons of course, post a sign, and arrest anyone standing in them? Panhandlers gone. Unless they want a ticket of course/go to jail.

Perhaps is this what Tucson did/why I don't see any down there in the medians like I see in the Phoenix area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,381,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I feel bad for them, if I have some dollars on me I often help them. Problem is, I often just have plastic, no currency on me. I can't make a blanket statement that they are meth heads. Teams, etc. I really do not think it out that far. I am guessing some are, some are people that had some bad luck. I help them here and there if I can.
We can all reach out to legitimately poor people — AND help our besieged neighbors — if we stop giving handouts to panhandlers and donate to some of the many fine organizations that help poor people who really NEED help. The following organizations have all been vetted by the Valley of the Sun United Way and could use your help. Many have online donation capabilities:

The Respite Shelter for Homeless Men
Respite Shelter

Helping Hands for Single Moms
Helping Hands for Single Moms - Helping Hands for Single MomsHelping Hands for Single Moms | Helping Hands for Single Moms

Mercy Housing Southwest
https://www.mercyhousing.org/southwest

St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
St. Mary's Food Bank | The world's first food bank

United Food Bank of Mesa
https://unitedfoodbank.org/

Labor's Community Service Agency
LCSA Phoenix, AZ - Labor's Community Service Agency

House of Refuge
House of Refuge

Homeward Bound
Homeward Bound | Transitional Housing in Phoenix, AZ

Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 AM

105 posts, read 226,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
""The federal courts all across America and here in Arizona ruled that there's a first amendment protected right to beg in public, so that made our law unconstitutional," said Jon Kavanaugh."

ok, got that part. But.....it seems to be there's loophole city in this. Why can't a city just make the median area a no trespassing zone, for safety reasons of course, post a sign, and arrest anyone standing in them? Panhandlers gone. Unless they want a ticket of course/go to jail.

Perhaps is this what Tucson did/why I don't see any down there in the medians like I see in the Phoenix area?
I lived in Tucson before the banned and it seem to target people who sold newspapers in the median more than beggars.

The people selling newspapers actually discouraged beggars - harder to get donation when people see two people standing in the median but one trying to be productive. I would get my newspaper from them instead of home delivery.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:51 PM

13,583 posts, read 7,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
1989, California law? Yup, it's the democrats fault in Arizona. Could you reach anymore? The courts ruled first amendment. Governor Brewer didn't sign it into law what can be outlawed

Panhandling: why there is an increase in panhandlers - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

That video of the fox 10 report the guy said he could make 100-250 an hour

Old 10-29-2014, 06:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,707,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That video of the fox 10 report the guy said he could make 100-250 an hour

With that much money to be made, I could see why they wouldn't bother trying to find an actual job. People need to stop being tools and handing out money to folks who largely end up using it to buy drugs. Give it to a shelter or another organization that provides support and care for the homeless, you'll do far more good that way.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 14,368 times
Default Should I say anything?

I've debated for about 2 weeks if I should reply to this thread or not. I want people to know that No not every panhandler is a drug addict, alcoholic or mentally ill. Just the past few weeks my husband and I have had to resort to panhandling. My husband has been out of work for over a year. He does try to go to day labor, but rarely gets put out. The "problem" he's 58. We are living in a motel now and our rent is due every day. $45. So we take turns, on the days I go to work, he "Flies the sign" to pay rent. Then on my day off he goes out and puts in job applications while I fly the sign. We do not abuse it and try to make extra money, believe me they are exaggerating when they say you can make $30 an hour. It usually take close to 5 hours to make $45. You can not be lazy and stand outside in the heat sucking up smog for 5 hours. I do not claim to be homeless on my sign. I need help. We get food stamps....you bet! $14 a month! I'm serious. So I will say I am sorry that I am bothering you. I would have NEVER have thought that I would have to resort to this. About 3 years ago, I was you driving my nice car to work acting like It would hurt me to give a few dollars to the beggar on the corner. God what I wouldn't give to go back, but I promise you this...I will never be mean or deny the homeless again. That doesn't mean give to all of them. But just don't assume that "we're" all bad. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,365,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshelley View Post
I've debated for about 2 weeks if I should reply to this thread or not. I want people to know that No not every panhandler is a drug addict, alcoholic or mentally ill. Just the past few weeks my husband and I have had to resort to panhandling. My husband has been out of work for over a year. He does try to go to day labor, but rarely gets put out. The "problem" he's 58. We are living in a motel now and our rent is due every day. $45. So we take turns, on the days I go to work, he "Flies the sign" to pay rent. Then on my day off he goes out and puts in job applications while I fly the sign. We do not abuse it and try to make extra money, believe me they are exaggerating when they say you can make $30 an hour. It usually take close to 5 hours to make $45. You can not be lazy and stand outside in the heat sucking up smog for 5 hours. I do not claim to be homeless on my sign. I need help. We get food stamps....you bet! $14 a month! I'm serious. So I will say I am sorry that I am bothering you. I would have NEVER have thought that I would have to resort to this. About 3 years ago, I was you driving my nice car to work acting like It would hurt me to give a few dollars to the beggar on the corner. God what I wouldn't give to go back, but I promise you this...I will never be mean or deny the homeless again. That doesn't mean give to all of them. But just don't assume that "we're" all bad. Thanks.
You were driving a nice car to work 3 years ago and now you are homeless? What happened? What type of work were you in? What have been the challenges that have prevented you from regaining employment?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 AM

9,911 posts, read 11,301,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshelley View Post
If I am being honest, I hate the concept of being scammed because my mind always wanders. So when I give to charities, I error on the side of caution. Basically I never give my hard earned money away to people who beg on the corner. I'm consistent, I won't give to Corporate America beggars like the United Way. So if I am asking myself "could this be a City Data panhandling scam"? It could be a real good one. Now I understand if you debated for 2 weeks to tell your friends and family that you panhandle. But my (paranoid) gut feelings tell me the 1st sentence was typed to provoke an emotion of hesitation and embarrassment. Sorry if I read your post in the wrong context. But allow me to put it another way, if people PM'ed you and offered you money, would you take it?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,365,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If I am being honest, I hate the concept of being scammed because my mind always wanders. So when I give to charities, I error on the side of caution. Basically I never give my hard earned money away to people who beg on the corner. I'm consistent, I won't give to Corporate America beggars like the United Way. So if I am asking myself "could this be a City Data panhandling scam"? It could be a real good one. Now I understand if you debated for 2 weeks to tell your friends and family that you panhandle. But my (paranoid) gut feelings tell me the 1st sentence was typed to provoke an emotion of hesitation and embarrassment. Sorry if I read your post in the wrong context. But allow me to put it another way, if people PM'ed you and offered you money, would you take it?
What troubles me is the people who need help often never ask for help. I found out once that one of my patients was struggling. I found out indirectly. She never asked for anything. I later found that she almost lost her trailer and couldn't pay for her kids school supplies. I drove to her place and gave her a Fry's gift card with a $1000 dollars on it and a Target gift card with a $1000 on it. It bought her enough time to help pay the mortgage. It's the best money I ever spent. But I wish people like this who really need money and are legitimate could communicate this without shame.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,362,524 times
On the way home last evening, I noticed something else. It seems that the panhandlers are leaving their trash behind. At every intersection we were stopped at, there were empty water or Gatorade bottles left behind where a panhandler usually would stand. Yes, i am sure some of the trash is not from them, but the empty bottles on the medians? Gotta be.

I think it is too bad that panhandling has become a business as there are people out there who geniunely NEED help, and as a human being I would want to help those that truly need it. But sadly, that has been ruined by those who do it out of laziness, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area