Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM

19 posts, read 36,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
So now, if you have to look at some sun-baked, filthy bum stretching his dried up paw at you and your family, thank a democrat.
Usually it's libertarians that want less government interference in social issues. A reduction in laws would be something promoted by them. Do you have an article or something that references democrats promoting elimination of this law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,631,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiker View Post
Usually it's libertarians that want less government interference in social issues. A reduction in laws would be something promoted by them. Do you have an article or something that references democrats promoting elimination of this law?
Probably saw an email and now thinks it's true.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

710 posts, read 3,400,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Probably saw an email and now thinks it's true.
Here you go fellas, plenty of historical background... Right from your mothership, no less.

http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/...ornialawreview

Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM

7,260 posts, read 9,356,551 times
I don't know the laws but I have seen DPS chasing panhandlers off the medians at freeway intersections. Of course they or another take the same place as soon as the officer is gone.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,774,523 times
Quote:
Here you go fellas, plenty of historical background... Right from your mothership, no less.

http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/...ornialawreview
A quick scan does not turn up "democrat", "ACLU", "Prius" or "bleeding heart". I guess the very fact that this comes from the country's top public university makes it evil.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,631,630 times
1989, California law? Yup, it's the democrats fault in Arizona. Could you reach anymore? The courts ruled first amendment. Governor Brewer didn't sign it into law what can be outlawed

Quote:
Kavanaugh tried to pass a new law to stem the flow of street beggars.

"Aggressive panhandling, that can be outlawed, that's what my bill would have done.

Kavanaugh's legislation passed, but the Governor didn't sign it into law.
Panhandling: why there is an increase in panhandlers - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Old 10-08-2014, 12:16 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,041,522 times
Quote:
It used to be against phoenix city code to be a vagrant inside city limits. Then a bunch of bleeding hearts decided that wasn't fair to the bums and winos. So the rest of us have to put up with them. For a good long while, it was against phoenix city code to stand on, in, or near the roadway for the purpose of soliciting donations. Then a bunch of bleeding hearts decided that wasn't fair to the bums and winos too.

So now, if you have to look at some sun-baked, filthy bum stretching his dried up paw at you and your family, thank a democrat. Either the one who worked for the ACLU and overturned the city's laws which one upon a time kept our cities neat and orderly, or the one in the prius ahead of you at the stop light, who just rolled down the window and gave the bum a dollar- thereby ensuring he'll be back tomorrow...

The cops would love to help clean up the panhandlers, but guess what- there's no political or judicial support for it. And so the decline of society continues.
There's a current petition circulating to overturn a "public camping" law in Phoenix. I know the folks behind it and reaching out to local elected officials and their sycophants. Oddly enough, they encounter the most derision from those that fancy themselves progressives.

Your assumptions are just that.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,611,848 times
On the I-10 / 7Th Ave ramp, there are so many panhandlers. Every day there are a couple of new people. While waiting for the light to turn green, I observed one of them holding up a sign saying he was hungry. A car in front of me rolled down the window and called him over. He gave the hungry man a banana. The panhandler was so pissed, he walked away cussing up a storm and flailing his arms. He left the banana on the side of the road and started to walk away. At that point, the light turned green and we all drove away.
A friend of mine told me that his brother was homeless for a while by choice because he made good money panhandling.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,726,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas_Athena View Post
A friend of mine told me that his brother was homeless for a while by choice because he made good money panhandling.
Homeless by choice because he made so much money? Think about that one for a moment.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:06 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,508,563 times
Quote:
It used to be against phoenix city code to be a vagrant inside city limits.
I didn't know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
This problem has gotten just as bad in Vegas also, in fact it's getting downright ridiculous!
yeah, I agree. We've been going to Las Vegas for many years now to mostly hang out and we noticed the same thing in recent years. The strip used to be free of panhandlers but last time we were there it was crawling with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
That sounds like a law passed in Tucson a few years ago. Can't panhandle or hang out on the median in the city limits.
Certainly seems to be working because every time we are in Tucson, we see zero people panhandling. I have a feeling cities around the Phoenix metro are going to start passing a similiar law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area