Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 AM

890 posts, read 2,282,564 times

Advertisements

Getting your children in a good school district should be your main focus, honestly. AZ has a terrible education system and a lot of the schools in Phoenix proper are really awful. The great part is that we have open enrollment, so if you drive your children to a good school and they have room, they can attend. We also have a lot of excellent charter schools here. Coming from OH, we didn't have many of those at all, but they are all over here and are a great option, especially if the area you choose has a poorly performing school district. While living a bit further out will definitely inconvenience you, if I had children my goal would be to get them in the best possible school district, and I would just have to deal with a longer commute. If you can find a well performing charter school near a centrally located neighborhood in the Phoenix area, that would be ideal. You would have a shorter commute and your children would get a better education. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,898,708 times
Here's a link to a map of the Madison School District, which is one of the best in the state. The areas on the map average about 5 miles to the airport which is a 10 minute drive away on the 51. It's a really nice area, one of the best of Phoenix. If looking for a place to live within the boundaries of the map stay north of Camelback Rd. South of it is a little crappier. I live in the district and love it. Our son's school is awesome, intelligent teachers that genuinely care.
http://www.madisonaz.org/wp-content/...y-Map-2012.pdf

Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,898,708 times
Here's some pics of the area:

Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofia417 View Post
Rent first... there are many apartments available with 3 bedrooms. Or, you could rent a house. Then, while you work here and get to know the areas better, you can then plan where you'd like to buy your home with knowledge of the neighborhoods.

This is good advice- rent first. The real estate market in PHX metro is schizo to say the least and you'll need time to wrap your brain around the sprawl.

You have to remember that the motto of the Phoenix real estate market before the bubble burst was, "drive until you qualify" and many people took this to heart!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

48 posts, read 69,835 times
I am brand new to the area (been here about a month) so I don't usually like to butt in however I just couldn't stop myself.

First off the job market for teachers here is great and for many places your wife will not need a az certification.

I will tell you that overall the schools are not amazing though the Chandler and kyrene schools are excellent and i strongly suggest that you look into both the Basis and eduprize schools which are top notch and have rigorous curricula. Additionally basis is opening a new school in awhatukee which sounds close to what you need. (they are hiring too!)

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM

48 posts, read 69,835 times
Also this may help 2011-2012 A-F Letter Grades | Arizona Department of Education

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM

654 posts, read 1,497,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
This is good advice- rent first. The real estate market in PHX metro is schizo to say the least and you'll need time to wrap your brain around the sprawl.

You have to remember that the motto of the Phoenix real estate market before the bubble burst was, "drive until you qualify" and many people took this to heart!

Yes rent for a year and watch RE continue to rise....then jump in

Seriously...it really isn't hard to figure out where to live in Phoenix with all the tools on the internet from crime stats ,RE listings, websites, google earth, DOT traffic watch...etc. Just be diligent and do your homework before arriving.

RE is rising so fast you could buy a place and sell it a year later without costing you a cent.

Nothing like FREE rent.

Commuting in the Phoenix area is a non issue compared to most metro areas......."rush hour" is a joke with all the grade A freeways in the valley.

Last edited by youthinkso; 03-06-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM

357 posts, read 712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Yes rent for a year and watch RE continue to rise....then jump in

Seriously...it really isn't hard to figure out where to live in Phoenix with all the tools on the internet from crime stats ,RE listings, websites, google earth, DOT traffic watch...etc. Just be diligent and do your homework before arriving.

RE is rising so fast you could buy a place and sell it a year later without costing you a cent.

Nothing like FREE rent.

Commuting in the Phoenix area is a non issue compared to most metro areas......."rush hour" is a joke with all the grade A freeways in the valley.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if real estate prices continued to rise it certainly is not a given and I'd still suggest long visits or at least getting an extended stay to start out.

As far as commutes I love the Madison area but South Tempe/North Ahwatukee I still think would be your best bet based on budget and the type of neighborhood you described wanting. Rush hour isn't like most other cities but from Gilbert to the airport would still be over your desired commute time. And unfortunately the airport is in the middle of where the traffic in Phoenix does occur. I think you can find a 20 minute commute but you will encounter a little bit of traffic unless you can afford the Arcadia area or end up in the Baseline area as others described. Also, I do really like Arcadia - its a beautiful area with lots to do but it is more expensive.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 19,540 times
Ok guys it's official. We are moving out there and my start date is June 24th. I will be coming out the 1st week in may for a house hunting trip. My realtor is sending me a bunch of homes to look at anywhere from gilbert/chandler as far north as surprise. There is one house in particular in Laveen that looks really good. almost too good to be true. Can anyone give me an honest breakdown of the area?

Last edited by observer53; 04-30-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyaris View Post
Ok guys it's official. We are moving out there and my start date is June 24th. I will be coming out the 1st week in may for a house hunting trip. My realtor is sending me a bunch of homes to look at anywhere from gilbert/chandler as far north as surprise. There is one house in particular in Laveen that looks really good. almost too good to be true. Can anyone give me an honest breakdown of the area?

Laveen AZ
Not too good to be true, just far out on the outskirts of the valley. You definely don't want to live way out in Surprise if you work by the Sky Harbor.

Last edited by observer53; 04-30-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area