Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of garage door opener do you have?
Chain drive 8 53.33%
Screw drive 2 13.33%
Belt drive 4 26.67%
Jackshaft/Wall mounted 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times

Advertisements

For our future new house, we are considering upgrading to a belt drive garage door opener (LiftMaster 8550 DC motor model with battery backup to be exact). This had me thinking, I would like to know what type of garage door opener is most popular here in the Phoenix area - chain drive, screw drive, belt drive, or jackshaft/wall mounted?

We currently have a LiftMaster 3255 1/2 hp chain drive. Interestingly, back when we were house hunting in 2011, I did not see a single home that had a screw drive opener, which is surprising since screw drive openers work better in warmer climates than in colder ones. In fact, we saw one house with a Genie (who is known for screw drive openers), however, it was a chain drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
I have a Genie screw drive. It's very noisy. I have had it for 15 years though, and it still works. I would not waste my money on a battery backup model. The odds of the battery dying in the heat in the garage are a lot more than there being a power outage.

Get a belt drive. They are the best.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have a Genie screw drive. It's very noisy. I have had it for 15 years though, and it still works. I would not waste my money on a battery backup model. The odds of the battery dying in the heat in the garage are a lot more than there being a power outage.

Get a belt drive. They are the best.
Actually, screw drives are generally quieter than chain drive models, but noisier than belt drives. Their disadvantages are slower speeds for the same hp rating, and intolerance to colder climates.

Unfortunately, the LiftMaster 8550 is the only belt drive model the builder offers (for a $150 upgrade). They used to offer the LiftMaster 3280 1/2 hp belt drive model, but not anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, screw drives are generally quieter than chain drive models, but noisier than belt drives. Their disadvantages are slower speeds for the same hp rating, and intolerance to colder climates.

Unfortunately, the LiftMaster 8550 is the only belt drive model the builder offers (for a $150 upgrade). They used to offer the LiftMaster 3280 1/2 hp belt drive model, but not anymore.
A door opener is a pretty easy DIY project. You might consider just getting no opener from the builder and buying one that you really want and putting it in yourself.

I have a LiftMaster 1/2 HP belt drive on my house up north. It is super quiet and smooth. When my current one conks out, that is what I will replace it with.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A door opener is a pretty easy DIY project. You might consider just getting no opener from the builder and buying one that you really want and putting it in yourself.

I have a LiftMaster 1/2 HP belt drive on my house up north. It is super quiet and smooth. When my current one conks out, that is what I will replace it with.
Note that LiftMaster openers are only sold by professional installers; the DIY models sold at big-box stores are sold under the Chamberlain and Craftsman (Sears) brands. Note that one major difference between the LiftMaster and Chamberlain/Craftsman units is that the LiftMaster units have a solid single-piece rail that the installer cuts to a custom length, while the Chamberlain units have a less sturdy multi-piece rail to make it easier for the DIYer to install.

Similarly, out of the brands owned by Overhead Door/Genie, the DIY models sold at big box stores are sold under the Genie brand, while the models sold by professional installers are sold under the Overhead Door and Genie Professional brands.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM

118 posts, read 318,322 times
Bicept.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Wayne-Dalton iDrive.

Most state it is junk. But mine still working after 6 years.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Wayne-Dalton iDrive.

Most state it is junk. But mine still working after 6 years.
Which is one model of jackshaft opener. LiftMaster now offers their own jackshaft openers, the 3800 and 8500, however, they differ from the iDrive from the fact that they are mounted on the side of the garage door rather than above it.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that LiftMaster openers are only sold by professional installers; the DIY models sold at big-box stores are sold under the Chamberlain and Craftsman (Sears) brands. Note that one major difference between the LiftMaster and Chamberlain/Craftsman units is that the LiftMaster units have a solid single-piece rail that the installer cuts to a custom length, while the Chamberlain units have a less sturdy multi-piece rail to make it easier for the DIYer to install.

Similarly, out of the brands owned by Overhead Door/Genie, the DIY models sold at big box stores are sold under the Genie brand, while the models sold by professional installers are sold under the Overhead Door and Genie Professional brands.
You don't need to buy from an installer but you have to go outside normal retail channels locally or get it on the internet. I put in both my door and my lifter myself (built the garage and the house myself too FWIW). I got it from a door/parts supplier. An 18 foot door was too big for my trailer and they delivered state wide. In any case, for my house in town I would just get the Big Box version. The LiftMaster version is overpriced relative to the Chamberlain and you could pay 2-3 times the material cost to have someone put it in for you. If a builder does it, it will be even more. Never buy anything from a builder that you can source after the sale unless having it "in the loan" matters.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,978 times
I had a Genie garage door opener that failed and when I tried to use the warranty they refused to honor it. I looked them up online and they have a habit of not honoring their warranty.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/genie.html

When I reached out to a local company they said they refused to sell Genie products because they were junk. I ended up relacing the whole system with a Liftmaster. I will never buy a Genie product again and will always go on online to check a companies reputation before I spend over $30 on their product. It is amazing what you can find out with a 3 minute online search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: