Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM

49 posts, read 127,525 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Phoenix from Ohio. We had done alot of research 3 years ago but decided to buy a house here instead which has been a huge mistake. We plan on taking a trip down to Gilbert at the end of summer and take a tour of the area. The main reason we are looking at the Phoenix area is due to 1) warmer weather and 2) my husbands asthma. We are both registered nurses. You can tell me if I am wrong but I haven't came across any large cities where we can't find a job. We are looking at Gilbert because from what I have read they seem to have the best schools in Phoenix. Again tell me if I am wrong. I really want to check out val vista lakes. Anyone in the medical field have any recommendations on which hospitals are the best to work for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethandTim View Post
The main reason we are looking at the Phoenix area is due to 1) warmer weather and 2) my husbands asthma.
It's my understanding that Phoenix might not be very good for people with asthma. It was ranked as one of the top 5 cities in asthma related deaths.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
It's my understanding that Phoenix might not be very good for people with asthma. It was ranked as one of the top 5 cities in asthma related deaths.
Like so many other things here including crime, traffic, and schools, air quality varies as one moves around the valley. Where I live, there is rarely anything but pristine air, even windy days don't cause a lot of problems. But if you get in areas near agricultural operations or gravel mining, it can be nasty. There are not enough gauges around to clearly define the boundaries of the particulates and the so-called rankings use the worst data. People don't even live in some of those areas like Cowtown in Pinal county where the worst readings are found.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Gilbert schools are fine, but they are not necessarily the "best schools in Phoenix". Gilbert is a city unto itself, a suburb of Phoenix. There are also good schools in Tempe, Chandler, and in other districts around the Phoenix area (including within the city of Phoenix). There are literally hundreds of school districts within the city and the surrounding suburbs.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM

170 posts, read 325,990 times
I am a Midwesterner who moved to Arizona (Phoenix) in 2005. I must be honest with you.....Arizona is not the place to relocate anymore if your significant other suffers from asthma. The entire Phoenix area has become the 5th most polluted large metro area in the country, and it deserves that dubious distinction. The air quality is VERY poor due to the dryness, heat, and geography. It is very common to have a constant brown cloud over the valley for weeks at a time during the summer. You can especially see the brown cloud when flying in. Its VERY gross. There are also numerous Ozone days when the weather man reminds you to stay indoors and avoid it. Ozone days are not fun!!!
And then there is the issue of the heat. It is unrelenting, unforgiving and severe. Its over 100 degrees everyday for like 6 months at a time. You may only THINK you like the heat, until youve experienced here for that long. Many people move here only thinking they like the heat, until they move back home when it becomes too much. Ive seen many people come and go because of it. The desert aint for everybody.
And then there's the jobs. I will be honest again.....Arizona is not known for its stellar job climate and never has been. Wages here are very low, economic opportunity is limited and PHX is not the place to start your career. Most of Arizona's economy is driven by minimum wage labor. Thats a fact. Sorry to diappoint you, but I must be honest. I think Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs or Durango are far better alternatives to AZ. BTW, I will be moving back to the Midwest very soon and glad to get out of AZ.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Like so many other things here including crime, traffic, and schools, air quality varies as one moves around the valley. Where I live, there is rarely anything but pristine air, even windy days don't cause a lot of problems. But if you get in areas near agricultural operations or gravel mining, it can be nasty. There are not enough gauges around to clearly define the boundaries of the particulates and the so-called rankings use the worst data. People don't even live in some of those areas like Cowtown in Pinal county where the worst readings are found.
The only data I was referring to was a report that said Phoenix had a high level of asthma related deaths. It didn't have anything to do with air monitoring gauges.

Phoenix once had a reputation for very clean, almost therapeutic air, where people with TB and other respiratory issues would move to. That's not the case anymore, but it's still a common misconception. I just want to make sure the OP is aware that Phoenix has become a large city with a lot of cars, with the kind of air quality you find in most large cities with lots of cars. We're also in a dusty desert, in a valley where pollution accumulates, close to forests that have been suffering wildfires fairly regularly in recent years, and because of our climate we have 3-5 allergy seasons instead of the 1-2 you usually find in other cities. If you're moving here in large part because of asthma, make sure none of those things are potential triggers.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Yes, it used to be the place to go for asthma. My grandmother moved here 40 years ago and was fine for a bunch of years but ended up in the hosptial every year. She ended up moving BACK to NY about 12 yrs ago. Much better there for her.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
While there is a lot of truth to what everyone says about the air quality not being as conducive to people struggling with asthma, I grew up with it and have not really suffered much at all out here. Sure, there are a few times when I "feel" it, but it's never been anything serious. I do remember struggling much worse on the East Coast in the humidity. I guess it's different for everyone.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8;24462227/
And then there is the issue of the heat. It is unrelenting, unforgiving and severe. Its over 100 degrees everyday for like 6 months at a time. You may only THINK you like the heat, until youve experienced here for that long. Many people move here only thinking they like the heat, until they move back home when it becomes too much. Ive seen many people come and go because of it. The desert aint for everybody.
And then there's the jobs. I will be honest again.....Arizona is not known for its stellar job climate and never has been. Wages here are very low, economic opportunity is limited and PHX is not the place to start your career. Most of Arizona's economy is driven by minimum wage labor. Thats a fact. Sorry to diappoint you, but I must be honest. I think Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs or Durango are far better alternatives to AZ. BTW, I will be moving back to the Midwest very soon and glad to get out of AZ.
Quote:
Its over 100 degrees everyday for like 6 months at a time
This is not a true statement and you are obviously unhappy in one of the fastest growing states in the country. Good Luck on your move,please let me know if you have a house to sell I know 40 people that would like to buy it if the price is right.

Last edited by observer53; 05-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: To partially repair quote tag.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Air pollution is a problem here sometimes, and the dry windy weather this time of the year isn't always good for allergies or asthma sufferers.

Gilbert is very family-friendly but Chandler has the better schools overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area