Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,987 times

Advertisements

hi. we are looking to move to the Ocotillo region of Chandler, AZ about 1.5 miles away from Intel's Ocotillo manufacturing plant. has anyone ever heard of complaints/concerns re: air pollution/health issues that may be related to the water vapors coming from the plant? Ocotillo appears to be a wonderful community with lots of diversity, educated professionals and young families. we have two small kids of our own. any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,786,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom73 View Post
hi. we are looking to move to the Ocotillo region of Chandler, AZ about 1.5 miles away from Intel's Ocotillo manufacturing plant. has anyone ever heard of complaints/concerns re: air pollution/health issues that may be related to the water vapors coming from the plant? Ocotillo appears to be a wonderful community with lots of diversity, educated professionals and young families. we have two small kids of our own. any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you!
I haven't heard anything like that. It's a great community and if I wanted to live in Chandler I would not hesitate to buy in Ocotillo.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM

122 posts, read 273,171 times
I haven't heard anything either, but semiconductor fabs have been operating in the Valley for over 50 years without significant issues. Years back, there were some ground water problems at Motorola's 52nd and McDowell plant, but they spent millions remediating and learned how not to have it happen again. The semiconductor companies are very careful about preventing environmental discharges. More so than some other industries.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,986 times
My husband actually works for Intel and they have no such issues to be concerned about. Ocotillo is a great area to live! You might need to be more concerned with the few dairy farms that remain in the area and their smells.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
I haven't heard anything either, but semiconductor fabs have been operating in the Valley for over 50 years without significant issues. Years back, there were some ground water problems at Motorola's 52nd and McDowell plant, but they spent millions remediating and learned how not to have it happen again. The semiconductor companies are very careful about preventing environmental discharges. More so than some other industries.
That superfund cleanup site that belonged to Motorola (now the concern of Freescale Semiconductor) is still an issue and still in the news.

Polluted Phoenix area gets some aid - News from The Arizona Republic (http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2012/02/17/polluted-phoenix-area-gets-some-aid/ - broken link)

As to Ocotillo in general, I worked until about 2007 or 2008 at a now-closed Motorola facility on Price Road between Germann and Queen Creek. Across the road was a large empty parcel that was the subject of controversy when Covance, a company involved with animal experimentation, planned to build a facility there. I believe that it ended up moving someplace else, but the point is that with what I am pretty sure must be still-open land in that area, you never know what you're gonna get.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM

168 posts, read 456,798 times
I could be wrong, but I thought that the Covance facility was built a few years ago and is open for business. I think it was built somewhere around Gilbert Rd and the 202, maybe? That's actually not terribly close to the Ocotillo neighborhood, though, so it's not really an issue. Also, much of the open land around Ocotillo has been built on. Most of the dairy farms have been sold and will be developed eventually. If you Google the most recent issue of the San Tan News, they had an article this week on the closing of most of the Chandler dairy farms.

Ocotillo is a beautiful neighborhood. If I were to move back to Chandler, I would absolutely live there. It's a great location, close to the 101 and 202, there are beautiful lake communities, and there are TONS of young families with lots of kids. I know many people who live there and I've never heard a complaint about air pollution from Intel. I think you'll be very happy there. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
I love Ocotillo. It's an excellent community. It has an educated populace with great families. It's very diverse. The area is upscale and clean. I think you will love it there.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought that the Covance facility was built a few years ago and is open for business. I think it was built somewhere around Gilbert Rd and the 202, maybe? That's actually not terribly close to the Ocotillo neighborhood, though, so it's not really an issue.
The point was that they were attempting to build it there. Pressure from the community got it moved.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 PM

59 posts, read 136,925 times
I've never lived or worked in that particular area. However, I have worked for Intel and several other companies in the same industry, and I have to say that Intel is among the absolute best companies I've seen in terms of their environmental policies and procedures.

I currently live near a similar facility here in Oregon, and haven't heard of any complaints. In fact, the only noticeable effect of it being there is the fact that the increased vapor seems to influence weather conditions in the vicinity (eg more ice or snow than further away).

Your concerns are understandable though, given that there has been a very vocal group near their New Mexico facility about this very subject. The major newspaper here in Portland wrote up a story about Intel's environmental measures and dealings with local communities here and in NM. It isn't Ocotillo, but it may give you and idea of what to expect there.

Oregon embraces Intel, but in New Mexico environmental doubts persist | OregonLive.com

Hope you find this helpful.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM

122 posts, read 273,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
My husband actually works for Intel and they have no such issues to be concerned about. Ocotillo is a great area to live! You might need to be more concerned with the few dairy farms that remain in the area and their smells.
A number of the dairy farms have moved out by Gila Bend. They will become less and less of a issue to the Valley as time goes on. But you sure noticed them when Ocotillo was first being built!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area