Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,328,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The point was that they were attempting to build it there. Pressure from the community got it moved.
You are incorrect. Covance, a highly sought after bio tech company with high salary jobs was considering 2 locations in chandler, and also locations in other states. Animal rights activists, not area residents opposed the company. They chose chandler, but located at the airpark not price corridor. It had to do with not having to re zone the property. Covance is there today, with their quality jobs, off of Gilbert and Ryan roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,132,204 times
Have lived in Ocotillo for 7+ years now and the greatest thing is the safety here. Maybe its just too far south for the riff raff to travel, don't know. I am right across the street from Intel and NEVER have any concerns about Intel 's plant, people, or whatever.

BTW: They have started mapping out the new areas now for the new homes ! Surveyors are out there daily and the sticks have been placed for the new subdivision. So so glad its finally happening. Got sick of seeing nothing in those fields as I walked the dogs daily. Yes, its very nice here. Lakes, nice people, schools are close and HOA fees are low. Also, HOA is nice to work with if you have a concern.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,660,201 times
Nice area, you'll love it. They are just starting to build the "Woodland" homes there. New construction, on a little lake, seems nice. Start at about 300 thou I believe. Should help up the already decent home prices in that area, which are still nicely affordable for what you get. I thought about buying there for a while, I wouldn't hesitate to live there, wonderful wildlife. I only went further out because I want a little longer before it gets built up. Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,780,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You are incorrect. Covance, a highly sought after bio tech company with high salary jobs was considering 2 locations in chandler, and also locations in other states. Animal rights activists, not area residents opposed the company.
This seems to say otherwise.

PCRM | More than 1,300 Chandler Residents Sign Statements of Opposition to Covance Animal-Testing Facility

Anyway, we should move on.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,011 times
phxtopdx: thank you for this link!!! i have actually come across it prior to posting my question here and it was something that did worry us. it is helpful to make the choice to move to ocotillo with "eyes wide open" as to certain possible intel-related issues. i also read that they are working closely with rio rancho/corrales residents to be more "transparent" and to "fix" structural "issues" that might contribute to concerns. part of our worry also was that intel was identified as a superfund site in silicon valley back in the days…but, presently intel seems to be working so hard to be environmentally responsive, transparent and progressive.

(fr phxtopdx) Your concerns are understandable though, given that there has been a very vocal group near their New Mexico facility about this very subject. The major newspaper here in Portland wrote up a story about Intel's environmental measures and dealings with local communities here and in NM. It isn't Ocotillo, but it may give you and idea of what to expect there.

Oregon embraces Intel, but in New Mexico environmental doubts persist | OregonLive.com

Hope you find this helpful.[/quote]

hi everyone! thank you so very much for your opinions/thoughts/valuable feedback. this site has been such a big help to me since i've joined back in '09. It is due to members such as yourselves who are willing to take the time to respond thoughtfully to the thread. it seems that the general consensus is that there are no known health concerns/issues related to intel in ocotillo and chandler. i wonder what is different about these sites and that of the oregon one compared to the Rio Rancho (NM) plant where health issues did arise (although no solid link to intel per se)?
we are very excited to close on the home in monterey bay . and from what i've read here and other helpful threads related to ocotillo area- we are looking forward to this transition.

oooh…this is interesting. what is this covance? i must google. thank you for info!

phxbarb- so sorry if my responses are all over the place. i don't know how to navigate this site yet! …but thank you for your response! how exciting !!

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-22-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,328,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
1,300 is not a lot in a city of 250,000+ and most of those were not "area residents", just animal activists that said they live in chandler. Most residents in the area favored covance and the jobs. You made it seem otherwise

Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,192,371 times
Let's get back to the topic, please --> Ocotillo Community and Intel Corp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area