Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 AM

150 posts, read 306,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
What street or road or avenue or lane or court or whatever makes you feel good to drive down? Which one's prettiest? What's on it that makes it good?
Van Buren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
What street or road or avenue or lane or court or whatever makes you feel good to drive down? Which one's prettiest? What's on it that makes it good?
A few of mine: Central Avenue from downtown northward, East Camelback, Tatum Boulevard through Paradise Valley, Mill Avenue in Tempe, Hayden Road in Scottsdale through the McCormick greenbelt area, Layfayette Boulevard through Arcadia, Greenway east of 64th Street through the Kierland area.

Quote:
I'll say Cave Creek Rd. from Dunlap Ave. all the way up. It's just a great street typifying North Phoenix, weaving through hills and mountains. Many biker/western bars, motorcycle dealers, hole in the wall restaurants, pretty views, some nice areas, some not so nice areas, a great drive with character.
Cave Creek Road has always been one of my LEAST favorite streets. Most of it is very junky, especially in Sunnyslope ... however, it really doesn't get much better north of there. It looks like a street that nobody cared about, so it looks the same as it did 30 years ago. Grand Avenue in the west Valley is another one that could fit in the same category. How coincidental that Grand and Cave Creek are both diagonal streets.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,573,250 times
Valley Native I agree with you. I traveled on the same streets. Lived along Hayden years ago. And yes, Cave Creek is very junky in places. I used to live near North Pointe. To the east of me were the claptrap houses still there. And there are meth heads up and down the area. Very depressing.

I like the greenbelt area and driving on Hayden. Parts of Greenway Parkway are good. Phoenix is large enough to have the checkerboard of blight and upscale.

And we should hate HOAs for? I forget why...I have been renting in ahwatukee for several years.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,897,397 times
Well, I can understand that Cave Creek wouldn't be for everyone. That's what this thread is for, to get other perspectives on places in the Valley.

For me, mostly, Cave Creek Rd. is about mountains. I love the way the road weaves and rises and falls. I always liked going north on it around the curve on the side of that mountain(Shadow Mt.?) between Mountain View and Greenway Rd. The big mountains past the towns of Cave Creek and Carefree are spread out before you in a panorama. It's pretty and in the winter they'll sometimes have snow on them.

I've never heard of Lafayette, I'll have to check it out. I'm pretty close to Arcadia.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
I like 12th St. Interesting modernist architecture, neat restaurants, a blast-from-the-past bowling alley, mountain views, and a strip club.
I love 12th St. around Sunnyslope, which is what it seems like your describing. If you mean that bowling alley at 12th and Hatcher, I know what you're talking about, it's like a Jeff Lebowski hang out. It's a good one.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM

330 posts, read 750,229 times
My favorites:

-Camelback Road from Fashion Square to the Biltmore
-The stretch of the 51 along Piestewa Peak
-The Galvin Parkway as it winds along Papago Park and past the botanical gardens.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,622 times
My favorites:

- The drive up to the summit of South Mountain. About a 15 minute drive from the park entrance to the top. Amazing views of the Phoenix area from the top, and a really pleasant drive. S Central Ave to N Summit Rd - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/6thwfgd - broken link)

- N. Galvin Pkwy (A.K.A. N. Priest Dr; 64th St). The stretch of road past the Phoenix Zoo, I drive this road on my way to the Army Reserves center. It's sort of peaceful in the middle of the city, with no street lights, and nice scenery. Also, while topping the hill, there's good views of Phoenix and South Mountain. N 64th St to N Priest Dr - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/7zp6fg9 - broken link)

Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM

24,319 posts, read 13,171,522 times
I always liked Rockridge and Wonderview on the south side of Camelback Mountain. Not very long, but quite scenic. Also, as mentioned by cab591 above, Central and Summit on the way to Dobbins Lookout, to give my old BF Goodrich TAs a workout in the early 80s.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 PM

800 posts, read 1,912,742 times
Pyramid Peak Parkway. It's just fun to drive on. Winding, hilly road that snuggles next to Ludden Mountain as it goes north from Jomax, towards and past iconic Pyramid Peak.

I also like the section of the 303 between Happy Valley Road and Grand, as it feels like being on a country highway.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Pyramid Peak Parkway. It's just fun to drive on. Winding, hilly road that snuggles next to Ludden Mountain as it goes north from Jomax, towards and past iconic Pyramid Peak.

I also like the section of the 303 between Happy Valley Road and Grand, as it feels like being on a country highway.
That's so NW Valley, I've never heard of it. I'll have to get out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area