Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 PM

88 posts, read 482,752 times

Advertisements

I had thought we were zeroed in on Gilbert, but now, as I look around the Interent & this forum, I am getting so confused! A friend that lives in Sun City West recommends it, Sun City Grand, and Surprise. Says our $$$ will go further there? We are retiring, ( in our early 60's)need the 'basics' close-by, maybe a mall within driving distance occassionally,a good hospital is a must. Here's our starter list... what am I missing? Where would you go?
Must haves: 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 2 baths, lg. kitchen/family room area,pool, easy outside upkeep (desert landscaping?) fenced yard, price range: $250,000- $325,000 tops. Thank you for your input. Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 39,995 times
Sun city is a great retirement city same with east mesa (alta Mesa) There is a website that a friend of mine found that has a small list of ads that helped him in his move to Arizona. NewHomesSection.com I belive that this website has a narrow search for active adult communities with great incentives for home buyers. He said he bought his shea home in the 120's

Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Everything you are looking for and require is in the Sun Cities. Best Hospitals, lowest taxes in AZ, very popular Arrowhead Shopping center nearby(3-5 miles) plus other areas to shop. House prices are averaging for your requirements around $195,000 -$225,000 according to last weeks news article. Very few homes have pools here since the many rec centers have large olympic size pools for residents.
Go to Ken Meads realty site and you'll get the latest in home sales and area amenities.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocarol View Post
I had thought we were zeroed in on Gilbert, but now, as I look around the Interent & this forum, I am getting so confused! A friend that lives in Sun City West recommends it, Sun City Grand, and Surprise. Says our $$$ will go further there? We are retiring, ( in our early 60's)need the 'basics' close-by, maybe a mall within driving distance occassionally,a good hospital is a must. Here's our starter list... what am I missing? Where would you go?
Must haves: 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, 2 baths, lg. kitchen/family room area,pool, easy outside upkeep (desert landscaping?) fenced yard, price range: $250,000- $325,000 tops. Thank you for your input. Carol

If I was retiring maybe Sun City, Sun City Grand not Surprise for me. I like that Trilogy across from Vistancia though I might look into that, but you have all you need in the Sun City area.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We would wander across the road to Trilogy in Vistancia. There are some great resales priced within your range. The ammenities are awesome, the gym, the upscale Kiva club, and the Grill restaurant is fantastic. They have a decent golf course. You can google them online. www.trilogylife.com, or go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and check the zip 85383. They have several communities in AZ.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 28,615 times
South Gilbert is the place to be, close to freeways and shopping. It is one of the fastest growing cities in America and the 22nd safest in America. You can not go wrong with Gilbert. It is not to far from Phoenix and not to close. Moderator cut: no soliciting here

Last edited by Marka; 08-23-2007 at 02:53 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 11:38 PM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
Speaking as a nonrealtor (meaning I have no reason to lead you anywhere in particular for money reasons) I wonder if the Phoenix area is where you should be at all? I think you can get more for your money in Tucson without all the attitude. Also, your price range might be a problem for the area, although I could be wrong now that the market has changed a bit. In addition, you would be closer to Mexico for a quick shopping trip or to go to the beach. If I had to do it over, I would move to Tucson. It also is not as big of an area populationwize which is nice. Phoenix is so spread out it is unreal. To me, it is a mini-LA. Just one person's humble opinion.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM

OK- it seems a number of you think the Sun City area is where we should go? Are there homes in that area that are not a part of a retirement community complex? Someone mentioned Tucson... but that is abit further south than we would like to be. I spent the entire afternoon yesterday searching so many areas via realtor.com and found many, in many different communties that appeared to be in our price range and appeared to have most off the things we are looking for. I guess we truly need to read up on the 'details' of each community, not just the home prices, before we can zero in on where we should go? I don't want to contact a realtor yet, because I feel we would want the realtor we go with, to specilize in the area that we think want to move to... we don't want to end up driving all over the state either because we won't have the time to do that- unless we rent an apartment for six months. Husband doesn't want to do that- (moving twice, dealing with most of our things in storage,etc.)
Maybe I should start a new post and title it Where do you live in AZ and why? Thank you for your comments, please keep them coming! C.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocarol View Post
Are there homes in that area that are not a part of a retirement community complex?

It seems that you may have the wrong idea about the Sun City area. It is not a "complex". It is individual homes that are in a regular neighborhood. The only difference is the age restriction.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

I didn't mean that the way it came out... I meant that as a community that has it's own ammenities, eg: rec centers, senior communties with a community pool, things like that. This is not what we want, we are searching for more of a traditional neighborhood that is not restricted by age groups,etc. We enjoy having neighbors of all ages, love the mix of young & older where we are now. Are those type of communities rare in the Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grande areas? We would also like our own pool,etc. not a community pool. Are HOA's prevalent in AZ as well? Thank you for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area