Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM

77 posts, read 281,518 times

Advertisements

I ate Chicago style pizza in San Jose last year, That was the best I have ever had.

Do you know any real Chicago style pizza place over here ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
My favorite is Nellos @ McClintock/Southern been going here for years Yummmmmy
Nello's Pizza - Tempe, AZ

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Jimmy's Chicago isn't bad.

But really - why do people insist on trying to find something from another place? I mean, when I visited Thailand, would I look for good BBQ? When I'm in Hawaii, am I looking for Mexican food?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Jimmy's Chicago isn't bad.

But really - why do people insist on trying to find something from another place? I mean, when I visited Thailand, would I look for good BBQ? When I'm in Hawaii, am I looking for Mexican food?
American comfort food this is Thailand this is the US and the food here is comparable to anywhere else in the country. Especially with all the transplants that bring their food here.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 PM

267 posts, read 692,877 times
Been to Nellos; yes yummy. And, perhaps fueled by all the springtime Chicago Cubs fans, there are other Chicago-y places.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM

344 posts, read 812,899 times
Quote:
Are you serious? You were VISITING. According to this logic, I should never look for something I used to love after moving...riiiight..Big difference living somewhere vs. vistingModerator cut: rude.

Last edited by Kimballette; 09-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Are you serious? You were VISITING. According to this logic, I should never look for something I used to love after moving...riiiight..Big difference living somewhere vs. vistingModerator cut: rude.
Not quite correct. I live in Mexico, south of guadalajara, 4 months a year. Yes, they Make pizza here. But I don't expect it to taste like "real" Chicago pizza. (note that the OP of this thread was asking file "real Chicago pizza." And the hot dogs are neither Oscar Meyer, Nathan's or Hebrew National.

BTW I grew up on Long Island, NY, eating NY bagels and NY pizza. I've lived in Phoenix for over twenty years and still haven't had anything that is really like a NY bagel or a NY pizza. I've had some darn good pizza in AZ, but it's not like we had in NY. Maybe it's the water.

Change your expectations and you'll find yourself happier with what you already have.

Mod: thanks for removing whatever rude remarks were included in sunlov's post.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM

344 posts, read 812,899 times
Quote:
Not quite correct. I live in Mexico, south of guadalajara, 4 months a year. Yes, they Make pizza here. But I don't expect it to taste like "real" Chicago pizza. (note that the OP of this thread was asking file "real Chicago pizza." And the hot dogs are neither Oscar Meyer, Nathan's or Hebrew National.

BTW I grew up on Long Island, NY, eating NY bagels and NY pizza. I've lived in Phoenix for over twenty years and still haven't had anything that is really like a NY bagel or a NY pizza. I've had some darn good pizza in AZ, but it's not like we had in NY. Maybe it's the water.

Change your expectations and you'll find yourself happier with what you already have.

Mod: thanks for removing whatever rude remarks were included in sunlov's post.
I lived in NYC for 25 years...NY pizza isn't that hard to match or come close to actually, in the vast majority of cases-some of the difference is urban myth. What you neglected to say or don't know is that the better varieties of NY pizza are harder to find there vis-a-vis the old daze.

NYC bagels are ok, but not necessarily so fantastic either. The truth is that Montreal bagels that most NYers don't know about are considered better by many.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
There are a lot of places that serve the thick Chicago-style deep dish pizza and they are pretty good like Nellos, Rosatis and Oreganos.

However

If you want the real thing and are prepared to drive to this place, it's in Glendale and it's called Vitos. This is the best pizza in the Valley (NY or Chicago). It's really good. The owner is from Cicero in Chicago and they make all their ingredients by hand including their sausage. It's a family run business and the elderly couple who own the place make everything from scratch. Phoenix magazine voted it best pizza in the Valley years ago. It's a total hole in the wall so get carryout and most of their clients order pizza to go.

Vito's Pizza - Glendale, AZ

That being said, I don't always drive to Glendale if I want Chicago style pizza. I think Rosatis and Oreganos does a pretty good job. If you order it from Oreganos, order the "Stuffed Crust" pizza. They have a deep dish pizza too but that's not the one. Yeah I know it makes no sense but whatever, tell them you want the one "that takes 45 minutes to make"

Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
I don't know if you can consider it "real chicago", but Spinatos at 48th street and Chandler blvd has the best pizza and calzones I've had since moving to Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area