Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times

Advertisements

Queen Creek and Avondale are about 60 miles apart, and quite different. Where you live in this area needs to be largely influenced on work location. This is a VERY spread out area, and commutes can be long and complicated if you locate yourself too far from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 PM

152 posts, read 522,302 times
I like it here, it's away from the crime, smog, and just over crowding Phoenix has.

It has plenty of new stuff, stores etc, a nice new hospital, it's not too fancy or hip, overall clean.

Everytime I drive into and through Phoenix, even Mesa, it makes me feel good I live out here where it's quite and no riff raff, and it's a little bit cooler out here!

Yes, once in a while the Mormons will try to convert you, but I just tell them nicely I'm not interested, if they persist, then I become more stern.

2 came up while I was washing the car, and asked if I needed help, they had on basically suits with ties, except for the outer jacket.

I told them no (and wanted to ask are you really going to wash a car in that get up?)

Then they wanted to know if anybody in the neighborhood needed their help, I said maybe, but I don't know.

As far as I know, they do not go to doors like the JWs, they just look for potential victims outside walking the dog, washing the car etc.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999corvette View Post
Yes, once in a while the Mormons will try to convert you, but I just tell them nicely I'm not interested, if they persist, then I become more stern.

2 came up while I was washing the car, and asked if I needed help, they had on basically suits with ties, except for the outer jacket.

I told them no (and wanted to ask are you really going to wash a car in that get up?)

Then they wanted to know if anybody in the neighborhood needed their help, I said maybe, but I don't know.

As far as I know, they do not go to doors like the JWs, they just look for potential victims outside walking the dog, washing the car etc.
Those young men you spoke with sound like LDS missionaries. They travel in pairs, riding bikes, and wear white shirts with ties. They go on these missions for two years shortly after high school, supported by their families during that time. They may go door to door, but are not assertive/aggressive as many people think of Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not LDS, but aside from the missionaries, the church doesn't really solicit new members like other denominations. I've known many many LDS folks, and never once was I ever proselytized, or even invited to attend services. I think people get all worked up about Mormons for no good reason.

To the o/p, it's not going to be a problem for you in Queen Creek or elsewhere.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 12,742 times
As for the cummute it will be 37 miles from Queen city to work so or so map quest says that puts Avondale about the same. I will have to admitt that we are moving from a town where the closest grocery store is 39 miles and I worked 69 miles one way from home for years. I understand the traffic flow was much better. my husband and I are truck drivers I am know of the lovely traffic in the city . 1999 corvett that is just what I'm looking for close enough to town to be able to go if I want for work ect. and far enough out to not be bothered by it. We have had the JW's in kentucky for along time and they are very kind people but a no thank you seems to work well. LOL they want to wash my car they better look out I might let them LOL. We do plan on comming down in the next month to find the right place to rent and have a look around as foolish as it sounds maybe even try the commute from both places just to see. Yes yes I know I'm going to do the whole rush hour thing for the fun of it sounds a little crazy. But the better i educate myself on the ends and outs the better choice I can make.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper321 View Post
As for the cummute it will be 37 miles from Queen city to work so or so map quest says that puts Avondale about the same. I will have to admitt that we are moving from a town where the closest grocery store is 39 miles and I worked 69 miles one way from home for years. I understand the traffic flow was much better. my husband and I are truck drivers I am know of the lovely traffic in the city . 1999 corvett that is just what I'm looking for close enough to town to be able to go if I want for work ect. and far enough out to not be bothered by it. We have had the JW's in kentucky for along time and they are very kind people but a no thank you seems to work well. LOL they want to wash my car they better look out I might let them LOL. We do plan on comming down in the next month to find the right place to rent and have a look around as foolish as it sounds maybe even try the commute from both places just to see. Yes yes I know I'm going to do the whole rush hour thing for the fun of it sounds a little crazy. But the better i educate myself on the ends and outs the better choice I can make.
It sounds like you're prepared to have a successful move. Between the "dry run" commute, scouting trip, and your postive attitude, I think you'll do just fine, as will your family.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,330,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
When I purchased in April my realtor sent me literally a 1000 listings for the San Tan Valley/Queen Creek. The shear number of homes for sale in that neighborhood turned me off. Seems like everyone is trying to GET OUT OF THERE!!
It is not the area it is the economy. A major employer nearby - General Dynamics C4 Systmes in Gilbert just laid off 500 workers with another 500 scheduled to go in October. Those are good paying engineering jobs not easily replaced.

Back to the topic Queen Creek is a good area for families with kids.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

33 posts, read 79,335 times
Zipper321 - you and I are facing the same issues. My husband just started a job in Tempe, and we are relocating from Ohio to AZ in two weeks. I have done so much research about Phoenix area schools/neighborhoods, housing prices, the list goes on and on. A previous poster stated the schools in Queen Creek were to be avoided, but on the AZ Dept of Education website, QC schools were one of the FEW in the Valley that made Adequate Yearly Progress. If we are comparing apples to apples, in Ohio that means they met all standards as set by the Dept. of Ed. Seems like this is a rarity in the Phoenix area. We ended up renting a home with a Queen Creek address, and mistakenly thought we would have QC schools. Wrong. We will be in the Florence Unified S.D. If you settle on QC, double check the school boundaries. Just because your home may have a QC address, your kids may not attend QC schools. I'm a little bummed.....

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper321 View Post
37 miles each way, in metro area traffic is very different than what you are used to. And, the commute out of Queen Creek MAY be partly on two lane surface streets, not freeway as would be the case with Avondale. Either one is going to be very different than the long drives you are used to in Kentucky. Good idea to come visit and try things out. Best of luck!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,829,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Those young men you spoke with sound like LDS missionaries. They travel in pairs, riding bikes, and wear white shirts with ties. They go on these missions for two years shortly after high school, supported by their families during that time. They may go door to door, but are not assertive/aggressive as many people think of Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not LDS, but aside from the missionaries, the church doesn't really solicit new members like other denominations. I've known many many LDS folks, and never once was I ever proselytized, or even invited to attend services. I think people get all worked up about Mormons for no good reason.

To the o/p, it's not going to be a problem for you in Queen Creek or elsewhere.
Kimbalette is exactly rght. Also, the assignment can take them anywhere in the country.

I'm not LDS either, but have a lot of LDS friends, fellow club members and a couple who serve on the same board of directors of an HOA with me. None have every mentioned religion to me. And they're among the first to volunteer to help out in the community.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM

977 posts, read 1,114,010 times
I moved to the Queen Creek area (San Tan Valley) about a year ago and am happy here. I love being able to see the stars at night. It's very quiet in my neighborhood and I've found people to be friendly if you reach out yourself. Many people out here are "transplants" from another part of the country. The only drawback to living out here is the commute into the city area for work/events/shopping. Many people do it, however. More and more is being developed/built out this way, too. As far as schools, I can't say, as I no longer have kids in school. I have several neighbors who do, and they seem satisfied. I think there are "magnet" schools, too, although you need to check that out. I like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area