Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM

21 posts, read 84,573 times

Advertisements

The best school district is Kyrene. But, I've been reading that the schools in Gilbert are pretty good, too. Is it just that Chandler has a higher median income thus able to provide more funding/taxes to the schools there vs. Gilbert schools?
We have small children, so we, of course, want them in the best schools. They don't have to be rated -10 schools, but 8 or 9 is fine. We especially do not want to be near much crime, even though crime is anywhere.

So, do you suggest buying a house in Chandler - smaller lots, more of a city-feel, so probably more drugs/crime, more expensive homes, so the kids probably have more cars, gadgets, even earlier in age. Are the families in richer, more urban areas a bit detached in that the parents do their own thing and the kids do their own thing which could lead to teens engaging in drugs, sex, etc.?

I keep reading that Gilbert is more family-oriented. Does this mean the families there are more tight-knitted, keep better tabs on their kids, kids are not as wild/loose/free as in a more urban, richer area (Chandler)? Is there less crime in Gilbert, too? I've also read that there are a lot of Mormons in Gilbert. We are of a different denomination, but are we going to feel like the odd man out? Are we going to be pressured to convert?

Then, there are the soil maps, that I've read about here too. Do we take a chance buying in Gilbert even though there is poor soil leading to erosion, cracking of foundation, etc?

I hate looking at houses in Chandler. The lots are too small. Too many HOAs. I'm looking for a 3-car garage, RV gate, 1700+ sq ft lot, newer than 1980, on more than a 7000 sq ft lot, preferably .25 acres. <300k$ Why are the lots so small in Chandler? Where do all the people live who own boats, ATVs?

Why do I like Chandler so much? nice location, newer area, close to I-10 and I-101, plenty of options for everything - doctors, pools, preschools, parks, (City Rec. has a lot to offer). It just seems really nice!

So, to you all of you locals on here, can you please provide some advice/words of wisdom? I hope I'm not coming across as too negative. Just lost/confused as to where to go next.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
There is little difference between Chandler and Gilbert. They are both affluent, desirable suburbs. Tweedle-dee, tweedle-dum. Chandler developed first. In theory, Gilbert would have smaller lot sizes as the lots get smaller as the years go by. As for what people who have RVs do? - they keep them in storage lots. Very few HOAs in better areas allow them anymore. Storage facilities are all over and range from out in the open, to covered, to climate controlled indoor spaces. They cost from around 50 to 200/mo depending on type.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Ponderosa pretty much nailed it, they are both relatively affluent suburbs with good schools. Just find the house that catches you and don't worry about the name printed on your address.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 144,970 times
I think when they say that Gilbert is more "family oriented", it is because it is more residential than Chandler.

Chandler has some but not alot of industry, Gilbert has practically none.

I am a 7 year Chandler resident, in the Ocotillo Golf Resort neighborhood and I feel very safe here however, I would not recommend anything from Alma School to Mcqueen and Pecos to Ray as that is mostly the "480" gang territory. They are especially concentrated on Arizona Ave.

All of the areas South of Germann are very nice.
Bogle Jr High and Hamilton High are both top-notch.

2470 W Hemlock Way, Chandler, Az 85248 is for sale and there's a house for rent on Hollyhock within sight of that.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascrucesnow View Post
The best school district is Kyrene. But, I've been reading that the schools in Gilbert are pretty good, too. Is it just that Chandler has a higher median income thus able to provide more funding/taxes to the schools there vs. Gilbert schools?
We have small children, so we, of course, want them in the best schools. They don't have to be rated -10 schools, but 8 or 9 is fine. We especially do not want to be near much crime, even though crime is anywhere.

So, do you suggest buying a house in Chandler - smaller lots, more of a city-feel, so probably more drugs/crime, more expensive homes, so the kids probably have more cars, gadgets, even earlier in age. Are the families in richer, more urban areas a bit detached in that the parents do their own thing and the kids do their own thing which could lead to teens engaging in drugs, sex, etc.?

I keep reading that Gilbert is more family-oriented. Does this mean the families there are more tight-knitted, keep better tabs on their kids, kids are not as wild/loose/free as in a more urban, richer area (Chandler)? Is there less crime in Gilbert, too? I've also read that there are a lot of Mormons in Gilbert. We are of a different denomination, but are we going to feel like the odd man out? Are we going to be pressured to convert?

Then, there are the soil maps, that I've read about here too. Do we take a chance buying in Gilbert even though there is poor soil leading to erosion, cracking of foundation, etc?

I hate looking at houses in Chandler. The lots are too small. Too many HOAs. I'm looking for a 3-car garage, RV gate, 1700+ sq ft lot, newer than 1980, on more than a 7000 sq ft lot, preferably .25 acres. <300k$ Why are the lots so small in Chandler? Where do all the people live who own boats, ATVs?

Why do I like Chandler so much? nice location, newer area, close to I-10 and I-101, plenty of options for everything - doctors, pools, preschools, parks, (City Rec. has a lot to offer). It just seems really nice!

So, to you all of you locals on here, can you please provide some advice/words of wisdom? I hope I'm not coming across as too negative. Just lost/confused as to where to go next.
Thanks!
You will do fine in either city. Both are great in my opinion.

I live in Gilbert, but do a lot of work in Chandler. However, understand I could show a bias toward Gilbert.

Here is a little more information:

Gilbert is reported to be the 5th safest city in America. Surprise ranked 13th.
Gilbert is 5th in U.S. in site's safety ranking

I haven't personally seen more foundation cracking in Gilbert than Chandler.

There is not as much vandalism in Gilbert, and part of that could be that we have a very responsive police department; it is a family oriented Town; and any graffiti that people find is immediately eradicated. So if kids can't show off their graffiti, then they don't do it. We haven't seen any graffiti or vandalism in our Val Vista Lakes community in about 3 years.

The Mormon population, according to statistics, is around 13%, Catholics around 17%, with the rest being other religions.

We are not Mormons, however, we do have Mormon friends. Mormons do not push their religion on anyone. The Mormons I know don't discuss religion when we're together on community projects, or club meetings.

That religion has missionaries. Kids in the 18-22 year range volunteer and are selected to serve as missionaries for several years. They can be assigned anywhere in the country. On occasion we may see two of these people on bicycles. They usually have black trousers, white shirt and tie.

They do go and knock on doors and provide those who will listen with a soft sell pitch. They're nice kids and are not pushy. They have come to our house once in 7 years that we've been here.

You will not be the odd man out, nor will you be pressured to convert. Kids in school who are not Mormon are not excluded from activities. My grandkids attend school here. They are Catholic, and have never been excluded from anything. Remember that at 13%, the Mormons are outnumbered by the other 87%.

Home prices in Chandler are higher than Gilbert, probably because it's closer to Phoenix for commuters. Currently the average price per square foot for a regular sale home in Chandler is $113 per square foot as opposed to $96 per square foot in Gilbert.

Gilbert has plenty of shopping, including San Tan Village, one of the largest shopping areas around, and we're only 25 minutes from the Chandler mall.

Gilbert has two major hospitals, and a new (not sure if it's open yet) M.D Anderson Cancer Treatment Center, and plenty of medical facilities.

Lots tend to be small in all the Phoenix area, but there are some areas of Gilbert that have larger lots.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I grew up in L.A. and am a Cali kid. I've lived all over the Valley, the community that most reminds me of Cali is Chandler. We have a huge technology presence which reminds me of San Jose at times. We have a sizable Asian population which reminds me of Southern California as well. We have a lot of lakes, houses with grass, parks with huge grass areas for kids to play in, it doesn't feel like the desert like in other areas of the Valley. There is a lot more to do in terms of restaurants, night life, and shopping. Chandler feels liberal. I don't care what the stats show but in terms of views, people are very tolerant in Chandler in my experience. We have a Buddhist temple, a Hindu Temple, a Hari Krishna temple and a Mosque. For me, I wanted to live in a politically moderate and highly educated community with diversity. I also wanted my children to have access to parks and excellent schools.

It depends on what you are looking for. I grew up in Southern California and desired something similar to that environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area