Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

421 posts, read 1,073,082 times

Advertisements

I am working in Chandler ( ray and 101), and plan to buy a house, i have a 4 yeard old son, i am very confused whether i shall buy a house in Chandler or Gilbert,

How are schools in Gilbert ?
I plan to buy a 4 bed room/3 bath, new construction Year 2004+, any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
I live in Chandler and am considering moving to Gilbert or buy another house in Chandler among other areas. I'm pretty objective about this because I'm strongly considering moving to Gilbert and I currently live in Chandler.

So here is how I compare the two and who has the edge

(1)House Quality: Gilbert
(2)Top Schools : Chandler - there are more 10 rated schools in Chandler versus Gilbert on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
(3) Overall quality of Schools: Gilbert
(4) Cleanliness: Gilbert
(5) Shopping: Chandler
(6) Restaurants: Chandler
(7) Lower Crime: Gilbert
(8) Culture and Diversity: Chandler
(9) Jobs: Chandler
(10) More Upscale in feel: Gilbert
(11) Politics: Chandler unless you prefer a more right wing conservative environment
(12) Parks: Chandler
(13) "Newness": Gilbert
(14) Location: Chandler - more centrally located overall and easier access to other parts of the Valley
(15) Better family reputation: Gilbert

Bottomline: If you are seeking more of an L.A. feel go with Chandler. If you are seeking more of a Dallas feel, go with Gilbert. I think those cities represent each other well. Like Dallas, Gilbert is cleaner, has better overall schools and has higher "quality" (it's not as big but whatever it has seems be more new and better quality). However, Gilbert is smaller and has less amenities, is more conservative, lacks diversity and culture. Like L.A., Chandler is bigger, more liberal, has more ammenities and has more to do with regards to entertainment (shopping, dining, parks) but it also has more crime, is less new, has many average to mediocre homes, and can have bad schools.

So if you want a safer bet, go to Gilbert; there is really not a bad area in Gilbert. If you have the money to buy in an upscale area in Chandler, I think Chandler is better.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 27,301 times
Areas of Chandler and Gilbert that has houses built in 2004 and newer are mostly identical. Older (Northern) parts of Chandler and Gilbert are much different.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
Schools should be the first priority for anybody with a small child, so in the OP's case I would choose Chandler because it has some of the best public schools in the metropolitan area.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Schools should be the first priority for anybody with a small child, so in the OP's case I would choose Chandler because it has some of the best public schools in the metropolitan area.

Agreed. And it's also worth noting that many schools that are actually located in the city of Gilbert are within the Chandler Unified School District Boundaries (Perry HS, Weinberg Elementary for example), and for some, that is a selling point. However, I don't think there's any discernible difference between Gilbert and Chandler schools that are located in the same upper-middle class type areas. I have heard that the Higley district in SE Gilbert is less desirable than the Gilbert district, for some reason, but I have no idea if that's valid.

I agree with everything azriverfan said above with the exception of house quality and upscale feel. I think Gilbert and Chandler are essentially the same in these categories, in fact I may give Chandler the slight edge. I can probably sit here and list 30-40 or more lesser known smaller gated communities in South Chandler, the types with 4,000++ square foot custom homes with all the luxury amenities sitting on 1/2 acre+ sized lots. I'm thinking of areas such as Whitewing, Vasaro, Circle G Ranches, Ryan Estates, Tierra Linda, Embarcadero [where Donovan McNabb and Coach Whisenhunt live], Oakwood Hills, etc., etc. There literally are these smaller subdivisions around every corner in South Chandler, some completed and some still selling vacant lots. There's also the luxury "tract" builder subdivisions, such as TW Lewis at Valencia, which has it's own square mile master plan, Fulton Ranch, Ocotillo, Arden Park, Reid's Ranch, Pinelake Estates, Symphony, Estates at McQueen, etc. The same is true in Gilbert, especially the areas bordering the Maricopa County portion of Queen Creek and around Seville where there's an abundance of larger lot sizes. It's essentially the same.

I really see no big difference between the two, other than location and house values. Since work will be in Chandler, there's really no reason to look past Chandler unless house prices become an issue.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,503 times
These so called ratings for the schools...looking at ratings is over "rated", My sons school Oaktree, located in Gilbert, is rated an 8 by Greatschools, well, my son has been to other schools and tells us that he doesnt seem to learn anything at his current school. Ive heard that in order for teachers keep their jobs, the students have to have good test scores. My son for example, is not alowed to read more dificult books, even though he tested into the higher catagory, and I suspect that its because he might fall from perfect reading test scores to something less that perfect. He never gets challenged. In another state, he was always needing help with homework. He has spelling words like: Water, river, Fever. In another state, he had spelling words like Exceptionally, capitalism, Visualization. In his previous school, he was learning multiplications of fractions, in his current school, they are just getting into multiplication...that's right, like 8 times 4. Don't put alot of stock in AZ education, just buy a nice house where you can afford, and teach the child at home. Hes egocentric teacher complains that my son feels he knows everything....thing is, based on what she teaches, he already does. Basically I take him there because its the law, but I'm looking into better options

Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
These so called ratings for the schools...looking at ratings is over "rated", My sons school Oaktree, located in Gilbert, is rated an 8 by Greatschools, well, my son has been to other schools and tells us that he doesnt seem to learn anything at his current school. Ive heard that in order for teachers keep their jobs, the students have to have good test scores. My son for example, is not alowed to read more dificult books, even though he tested into the higher catagory, and I suspect that its because he might fall from perfect reading test scores to something less that perfect. He never gets challenged. In another state, he was always needing help with homework. He has spelling words like: Water, river, Fever. In another state, he had spelling words like Exceptionally, capitalism, Visualization. In his previous school, he was learning multiplications of fractions, in his current school, they are just getting into multiplication...that's right, like 8 times 4. Don't put alot of stock in AZ education, just buy a nice house where you can afford, and teach the child at home. Hes egocentric teacher complains that my son feels he knows everything....thing is, based on what she teaches, he already does. Basically I take him there because its the law, but I'm looking into better options
I have found this in every state we have moved to also. Although it does go the other way too. When we moved from Oregon to Utah my daughter was just entering preschool, so this move doesn't count. Moved from Utah to New Mexico in 1st grade my daughter was behind where they were in New Mexico. Moved from NM to Oregon again and my daugher was ahead of where Oregon was. It is irritating to say the least that each state is teaching different things for the same grade level. I don't understand why they can't get on the same page. Ever since the no child left behind was implimented most teachers to teach to the state tests not to mastery and that is sad because their jobs do depend on how well the students do on the test and that is not how it should be. Our children are not getting the education they deserve.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Agreed. And it's also worth noting that many schools that are actually located in the city of Gilbert are within the Chandler Unified School District Boundaries (Perry HS, Weinberg Elementary for example), and for some, that is a selling point. However, I don't think there's any discernible difference between Gilbert and Chandler schools that are located in the same upper-middle class type areas. I have heard that the Higley district in SE Gilbert is less desirable than the Gilbert district, for some reason, but I have no idea if that's valid.

I agree with everything azriverfan said above with the exception of house quality and upscale feel. I think Gilbert and Chandler are essentially the same in these categories, in fact I may give Chandler the slight edge. I can probably sit here and list 30-40 or more lesser known smaller gated communities in South Chandler, the types with 4,000++ square foot custom homes with all the luxury amenities sitting on 1/2 acre+ sized lots. I'm thinking of areas such as Whitewing, Vasaro, Circle G Ranches, Ryan Estates, Tierra Linda, Embarcadero [where Donovan McNabb and Coach Whisenhunt live], Oakwood Hills, etc., etc. There literally are these smaller subdivisions around every corner in South Chandler, some completed and some still selling vacant lots. There's also the luxury "tract" builder subdivisions, such as TW Lewis at Valencia, which has it's own square mile master plan, Fulton Ranch, Ocotillo, Arden Park, Reid's Ranch, Pinelake Estates, Symphony, Estates at McQueen, etc. The same is true in Gilbert, especially the areas bordering the Maricopa County portion of Queen Creek and around Seville where there's an abundance of larger lot sizes. It's essentially the same.

I really see no big difference between the two, other than location and house values. Since work will be in Chandler, there's really no reason to look past Chandler unless house prices become an issue.
Interesting take, well said

Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM

42 posts, read 161,929 times
Am in agreement with Foreverking, look well past the ratings!! My child is in a Gilbert school with a 8 or I think it might be 9 now. Allowing a huge dollop of acceptance that things are going to be different to what I am used to, my experience of the AZ education system is a headache. We are looking to move from Gilbert to Chandler (most likely) because it suits us as a family better and a higher price for the house in Chandler so be it, if it gets us what we want, but schooling, prrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,667 times
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Chandler school district is on a modified year round schedule. To me this is a huge plus. They will be out the first week in June and go back usually around the last week in July. They will have two weeks for fall break, two weeks at Christmas and two week spring break. While this could cause child care issue for some, most schools offer some options for this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area