Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM

274 posts, read 1,402,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ambler and Lansdale are more like Medina and Chagrin Falls. But the Main Line communities closest to the city do have a similar vibe to Shaker.
Yeah, but how are the ML communities diverse? I think the OP asked about that. To my mind, most ML communities are not very diverse either racially or economically.
But perhaps Shaker Heights, OH is not too diverse in those areas either? (truly curious, I know nothing about Shaker Heights)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,534,410 times
South Ardmore and parts of Narberth are diverse in both ways - the attend Lower Merion schools and are currenty protesting the method in which the district is dividing neighborhoods to balance the number of students at each of the two high schools...

Can anyone define diverse for me? If it means 50% minority and 50% white, good luck finding that in a decent school district. Everybody who can generally flocks to the suburbs for the best schools which means a disproportionate number of wealthier whites, asians, indians and some blacks as well. To me, diverse is a district that is over 10% minority and 20% lower and 70% middle class, at least in the case of the better school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia