Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,034 times

Advertisements

Put on your reading glasses . HELP ME PLEASE!

I've accepted a job that will have me periodically reporting to different locations for weeks/months at a time, which is always subject to change. For instance, one of the work locations is in Paoli, PA and then a month after working there, I could be in the city near Fairmount Park (Girard ave.) and then I could be near St. Joseph's University for a few months. So this is making my housing search almost impossible to narrow down since I guess I really could live anywhere reasonably close to the city or in the city. Other than price, its difficult for me to pinpoint where I would actually enjoy living and not have a horrible commute to any of those places. I plan on spending about 3-4 days in Philadelphia just seeing as many places as I can to get a better feel for the city but I really need guidance. Craigslist is driving me crazy because I really don't want to live in a large apartment building/complex. I'd rather rent an apartment in a private house or a small building (no more than 8 units) or carriage house/in law type arrangement. I will not apartment share/have roommates though. I'm DONE with that part of my life (yea I'm a little bitter lol).

The most I'm willing to pay is 900-1000 a month but I would prefer to pay no higher than 700-800. I'm considering studios if I can find one no higher than 700 but really looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom if I'm paying more than 700. If I have to pay more to get a better quality of life, I'll do that rather than living way out in the boonies and putting the "savings" in my gas tank in the form of driving back in town whenever I want to have fun.

When are you moving? - About a month from now (late April/May 1 move in date)
Where are you coming from? - Washington, DC (Maryland suburbs)

I'm Black, single, mid twenties and don't have kids. Socially, I don't do the "club/bar every weekend" thing, but I wouldn't mind nightlife being accessible by a SEPTA ride/short drive. I can't commute to work with SEPTA so I don't need to live near transit and my commute will not follow typical rush hour times. I have a car, so easy/easier parking would be a plus and I plan on buying a motorcycle as well in the not so distant future. Basically my priorities are: not having to get to work using a toll road/tolled bridge, not living far away from basic services (dry cleaning, groceries, etc) and not worrying about my car being broken into/vandalized on a regular basis. Proximity to ethnic food (Afghan/Korean/African) is a plus (I like to eat!)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,712,298 times
What about the Northwest part of the city? It is somewhat in the center of all the locations you will be working... the prices for a studio or one bedroom apartment in the area is on par with what you are willing to pay. Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, East Falls and West Mt. Airy would be good places to look. They are all nice areas. West Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill are wealthy areas (tons of affluent blacks in the Mt. Airy area). East Falls is middle class to upper middle class and Manayunk is a great post-grad/ young professional area. Manayunk has the best nightlife in the Northwest section (along Main Street). Tons of bars/ clubs/ restaurants there as well as shops. The restaurant scene is pretty vibrant in the Northwest with good selections in Main Street Manayunk, Germantown Ave in Mt. Airy and Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill. Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy would be the easiest with a car, East Falls would be a peg down. Manayunk will be more difficult with a car but doable. Manayunk is very hilly (San Francisco-ish and much denser than the other parts of the Northwest). The Northwest is will served by SEPTA regional rail lines that will get you into the core of the city easily and within 20-25 minutes. Also, the Northwest has easy access to I-76 to get you to Paoli, City Ave/route 1 to get you down to St. Joe's and Kelly Drive through Fairmount Park to get you down to Girard.

When you come to visit, see all the sites in Old City, check out the historic Society Hill neighborhood, Walnut Street (high end shops) between Broad and Rittenhouse Square Park. See the Rittenhouse Square/ Fitler Square neighborhoods. Historic skyscrapers and the theater district along South Broad Street. South Street between Front and 7th st. "The Gayborhood" also known as Washington Square West. The Italian Market and Passyunk Ave in South Philly. The Ben Franklin Parkway and "Museum Mile," Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown, the Fairmount neighborhood and Eastern State Penitentiary, University City and UPenn's historic Ivy League campus (as well as the Penn Museum). Also, take SEPTA up to the Northwest section of the city to get a feel for it... walk around Manayunk and check out the restaurants and shops on Main St. Walk around Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill, etc. Tons of great restaurants all throughout the city.

Hope this helped, and hope you enjoy your visit

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,034 times
Thanks for the neighborhood and sightseeing recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia