Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,321 times

Advertisements

My husband might get an opportunity for us to move to the Philadelphia area from Nashville, TN in the next 6 months to a year. I would like some info so I can start researching areas to live etc, and know what I am in for.
We would like to live in a suburb (probably west or north), but close enough for a communte for his job which would be on Market Street.
We have 2 small children, 3-1/2 and 8 months and would like a nice, safe, family friendly area with good schools, but also affordable. Not like to spend much more that 250,000 on a house if possible. Maybe 300,000 at the most. Will need a nice yard where we can put up a fence for our dogs. Would like to be close to activities for the kids and shopping, restaurants, etc. I am a SAHM and would like to ge involved with a moms group.
Any information would help on some areas I can get started researching. I was looking at Downingtown and Exton? Are those close enough to the city to commute? Any other ideas?
Thanks for all your help

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,749,101 times
It depends on how long of a commute you want. By train, it's the better part of an hour from those spots. If you go north of the city, you can look at places like Ambler, Oreland and Glenside, which are considerably shorter rides. Look at real estate listings in zip codes 19002, 19075 and 19038 for those areas.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,000,833 times
I would much prefer to live in Ambler than in Exton or Downingtown. I was out in Exton today and saw a road sign that said "King of Prussia - 20 miles"

The only saving grace to that commute is Great Valley Flyer which makes the R5 much less tedious. No way in the world would I try to drive that everyday. Just the commute on 202 to the Schuylkill would be enough to make me want to run full speed into the nearest retaining wall . . . if I was able to get up to full speed.

If you have to commute to Center City I would be thinking more along the lines of 20 mile commute, maybe 25 - not 30-35 miles. It takes a lot longer to get places around here than you'll probably be used to.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 PM

24 posts, read 52,149 times
We too are looking to relocate, is communting on the rail very easy from Bucks County? I've never been in an area that has mass transit, so I'm not sure if it would faster or easier than driving?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,603,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Souls View Post
We too are looking to relocate, is communting on the rail very easy from Bucks County? I've never been in an area that has mass transit, so I'm not sure if it would faster or easier than driving?
Depending where in Bucks County, you would take either one of these train lines.

SEPTA

or

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/r7_wk.html

It would be easier than worrying about traffic on I-95.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,948,038 times
I would avoid Exton or Downingtown if you need to commute downtown. With the OP's needs I'd stick with Delaware County, like Media or Springfield. Good schools, family friendly, less expensive (although older and maybe smallish) houses...more likely to find something in the 250-300 range.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,000,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Souls View Post
Bucks Co. has the R5 Doylestown line, the R2 Warminster, the R3 West Trenton, and the R7 Trenton.

Bucks Co. has two expressways on opposite ends of the county. 95 is terrible during rush hour. 476 gets bad south of Plymouth Meeting and is only useful as a way to get to 95 or 76 - which is also awful. If you live in the middle of Bucks Co. it could take you 20 minutes or more just to get to one of the expressways. Then, once you get into the city you still have to make your way to a garage or lot then walk to your office.

I definitely think there are some places in the region, particularly in South Jersey and maybe some close in parts of Delaware and Montgomery Cos, where you could make the argument that it's quicker to drive to work but Bucks. Co. definitely isn't one of those places.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 PM

183 posts, read 633,330 times
Forget Downingtown and check out the Abington/Jenkintown area. You will be closer to the city, trains are convenient, and you should find housing in your price range. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM

16 posts, read 75,896 times
I concur with those who have suggested Abington/Jenkintown (Montgomery County).

My other suggestion would be Havertown (Delaware County).

I was going to mention the town/borough of Yardley (Bucks County) which is a stone's throw from the train into Center City, but then I remembered your budget and I am not sure of the availability of single houses in your price range there. If you did not have pets and the need for a fenced yard, then a (probably quite spacious) townhouse or condo could probably be found in Yardley for the price range you've indicated.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM

183 posts, read 633,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusey View Post
I concur with those who have suggested Abington/Jenkintown (Montgomery County).

My other suggestion would be Havertown (Delaware County).

I was going to mention the town/borough of Yardley (Bucks County) which is a stone's throw from the train into Center City, but then I remembered your budget and I am not sure of the availability of single houses in your price range there. If you did not have pets and the need for a fenced yard, then a (probably quite spacious) townhouse or condo could probably be found in Yardley for the price range you've indicated.
For those interested in Yardley, there are several modest homes available for rent right along Main St right now - they are walking distance from the train station. Great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia