Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM

38 posts, read 222,519 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving out of West LA to somewhere out of CA, possibly Philly, but I know next no nothing about the city and need your advice.

We could spend 1mil on a 3bed/2bath for a SFR in an urban/suburban neighborhood with good schools for my three children, and safe and lively enough for them or me and my wife to walk to the store, restaurants, coffee shops, or movies. I know Center City is a nice neighborhood, but are there any areas where it is possible to have a backyard? A row house or SFR is what we're looking for, not a condo or loft complex and a backyard with the row house would be a big plus, if that's possible.

So, if anyone can suggest an urban/suburban neighborhood within Center City or something similar, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Well Center City is too dense to have backyards, but there are areas in-town that do.

Consider some NW Philly communities like West Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill. West Mt. Airy is a middle-to-upper class melting pot while Chestnut Hill is an old refined neighborhood on the edge of the suburbs. These are walkable and comfortable areas. I can't speak specifically to the school quality but parent involvement is likely to be higher than in many other parts of the city.

Alternately there is Northeast Philly aka "the concrete suburb". You're more likely to need a car to get to some neighborhood amenities but other than that, it may fit the bill. While the area is diversifying, there are still strong ethnic European and Jewish communities established there.

There are plenty of suburban options although it would help if you could tell us where your employer would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310man View Post
My family and I are considering moving out of West LA to somewhere out of CA, possibly Philly, but I know next no nothing about the city and need your advice.

We could spend 1mil on a 3bed/2bath for a SFR in an urban/suburban neighborhood with good schools for my three children, and safe and lively enough for them or me and my wife to walk to the store, restaurants, coffee shops, or movies. I know Center City is a nice neighborhood, but are there any areas where it is possible to have a backyard? A row house or SFR is what we're looking for, not a condo or loft complex and a backyard with the row house would be a big plus, if that's possible.

So, if anyone can suggest an urban/suburban neighborhood within Center City or something similar, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM

691 posts, read 3,063,813 times
The problem with living in the city of Philadelphia is the school system. If you buy something within the city, make sure you send your kids to private school.

For suburban options, I recommend West Chester. You could get a very nice house for your price range and the town is extremely walkable with shops & restaurants. Other similar options to consider would be Media, Doylestown, and even Newtown, PA.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,595,010 times
I would consider Haddonfield or Moorestown, both in New Jersey, but close to center city Philly (with easy access on the High Speed Line). Beautiful areas with excellent schools.

Also, look on the Main Line. Again, excellent schools. Train ride into center city.

www. wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Main_Line

(the link doesn't work. You have to c/p).

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,229,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
The problem with living in the city of Philadelphia is the school system. If you buy something within the city, make sure you send your kids to private school.

For suburban options, I recommend West Chester. You could get a very nice house for your price range and the town is extremely walkable with shops & restaurants. Other similar options to consider would be Media, Doylestown, and even Newtown, PA.
Agreed. With 3 children the suburbs would be the safest route to go due to quality of schools.

The "Mainline" towns would fit your criteria for the most part. Wayne,Paoli,Berwyn,St. Davids,Radnor,Villanova,Gladwyne,Rosemont,Haverfor d,Bryn Mawr,Ardmore,Narberth,Merion.

As Jerzboy,Newmar said West Chester,Doylestown,Media,Newtown are all great suburban towns with some urban qualities to them.

Haddonfield, Moorestown,Woodbury Heights in South Jersey would also fit into that category.

If you want to live in the city Chestnut Hill,Mount Airy is the way to go as Tone mentioned. Chestnut Hill might be the best community in this whole area.

Good luck

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM

I researched most of those suggestions and they seem really nice, but maybe a little too isolated for us coming from West LA.

Now, I'm not really familiar with the area, so could someone tell me which directions from Center City are good and bad. I know west isn't good, but if you go far enough west it is. How is it for going north and south. Not east, as I'd rather stay in PA.

Also, are there any upscale neighborhoods where rowhouses are common?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,790,149 times
The Society Hill neighborhood (19106) of center city is filled with 18th century restored townhouses mixed with modern townhouses and many have small back yards and or garages or off street parking and it is a big family area with plenty of children. It is a very affluent area but plenty of houses cost less then a million.
It is true that you will need to use private or religious schools since the public schools are not recomended anywhere in the city.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Wow, thanks for the suggestion and those pics. Those homes look amazing and I have always dreamed of living in something like that. I'll definitely check that out. Any other areas close to that?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 AM

691 posts, read 3,063,813 times
All of those addresses are in great areas and the prices don't seem lower than expected. Philadelphia real-estate is much cheaper than what you are used to out in CA.

I would personally stay south of Market St (Quarry St is north) but that is just my personal preference. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia