Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,418 times

Advertisements

In Lower Bucks area, which is better or the best? Why?

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 07-17-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,688 times
My total bill is generally cheapest at Shop Rite. I've found Giant to be much higher in most products. Redner's fairly high too. Individual items at Giant may appear cheaper than Shop Rite but overall, my bill is always cheapest at Shop Rite from week to week buying same items. Sale items are great & almost always things I use regularly. Giant sale items are things I don't use.
I used to go to Redner's on the way to work in the morming but got tired of the checkout person BS-ing with people in front of me and holding me up. Giant and Shop Rite have self-Checkout lines; Redner's didn't.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 AM

1,386 posts, read 911,187 times
I just use the stores closest to me (McCaffrey's and Acme). McCaffrey's definitely has the best quality produce and meats, but is also more expensive. Acme is pretty reasonably priced, but beware of their "buy one get one free" sales. The unit price is always jacked up way over the normal price for those items, so the "sale" price you get is not much of a bargain and they make you buy twice as much.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
I know nothing about Redner’s and cannot speak to Lower Bucks in general, but in NJ and the Lehigh Valley, out of Shop Rite, Giant, and Acme...Shop Rite by a mile. Of course, Shop Rites are franchises, and it’s possible that those in Lower Bucks could be quite different from all of the other Shop Rites that I have visited. I have never found Acme or Giant to be impressive, or Stop & Shop for that matter, which has the same parent company as Giant. I am curious as to why Wegman’s has not made a larger play for Bucks County. If I recall correctly, you are in Levittown, and the closest Wegman’s to you is in Warrington, a 40 minute drive away.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
^^ Where I shop in DelCo I'd say ShopRite also. Giant is OK. Great product selection, but more expensive, IMO.
ACME for get about it. Not price competitive at all, IMO.

I really was a Pathmark and Genardis person, but they closed.

I think Wegman's is great! If there was one near me IT would be my go to store, secondary to Trader Joes.
I'd love to have more Wegman's in the area. But I don't think their execs think southern Delco could support it.
I think it would be a hit in BuckCo, though (depending on where)

I also love Fresh Market. But alas, it also is only in higher socio-economic areas.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
RIP Genuardis and Superfresh. Picking out of the group listed, ShopRite (The Fresh Grocer in the city).

Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
It seems to me ShopRite is cheaper overall, but also offers cheapest quality product. Giant seems more mid range. Acme seems high to me, but some say their bill is decent. So maybe Acme is midrange overall.

Wegmans has great prices for regular items and is expensive for their salad bars, other bars, things made at the store possibly, and things of that nature.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 911,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Where I shop in DelCo I'd say ShopRite also. Giant is OK. Great product selection, but more expensive, IMO.

I think Wegman's is great! If there was one near me IT would be my go to store, secondary to Trader Joes.
I'd love to have more Wegman's in the area. But I don't think their execs think southern Delco could support it.

I also love Fresh Market. But alas, it also is only in higher socio-economic areas.
Wegman's is the best overall by a lot considering quality, price, selection, service, etc. I really wish there were one near me in Bucks.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
RIP Genuardis and Superfresh. Picking out of the group listed, ShopRite (The Fresh Grocer in the city).
I never went to a Genuardi's. Only heard of them. Superfresh, A&P and Food Basics were the same company. They acquired Pathmark about ten years ago after failing to make money for years and only continued that downward spiral after. The whole corporation went out of business a few years ago. When I moved to PA in 2015, the Pathmark on Lincoln Hwy in Fairless Hills was still open. That was always the store we shopped at when I was a kid until ShopRite started to outdo them circa 2000. We had the 4 I listed plus Pathmark when I moved here, and I was initially told Giant was really the best. Now my S/O moved here from Erie where they have Wegmans and Giant Eagle (not a Giant affiliate) and says the ShopRite prices are better. The one in Fairless Hills also has a beer garden.

My folks shopped at the Wegman's in Woodbridge, NJ for years but it is a tad pricier than the "union" supermarkets. Maybe one can go in the old Pathmark lot on Lincoln which is still empty. Warrington and the ones in Jersey (Princeton or Mt. Laurel) are too far.

Fresh Grocer distributes ShopRite brand products, as well as their own brand name so they are closely affiliated. The Fresh Grocer franchise also owns two ShopRites in Delaware County - Brookhaven (a former Pathmark) and Drexeline - though they are not listed as any members on the website.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:08 PM

14,161 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I know nothing about Redner’s and cannot speak to Lower Bucks in general, but in NJ and the Lehigh Valley, out of Shop Rite, Giant, and Acme...Shop Rite by a mile. Of course, Shop Rites are franchises, and it’s possible that those in Lower Bucks could be quite different from all of the other Shop Rites that I have visited. I have never found Acme or Giant to be impressive, or Stop & Shop for that matter, which has the same parent company as Giant. I am curious as to why Wegman’s has not made a larger play for Bucks County. If I recall correctly, you are in Levittown, and the closest Wegman’s to you is in Warrington, a 40 minute drive away.
ShopRite stores are not franchised.

They are independently owned, and the owners of the stores together own the wholesaler (Wakefern Food Corporation, owner of the ShopRite and Fresh Grocer trademarks) that supplies them.

In other words, it's a cooperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia