Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 02:23 AM

844 posts, read 709,351 times

Advertisements

"3. I posted an incredibly damning video of white people (supposedly 'progressive' SJWs, but in reality no more than a two-bit clown privileged anarchists) throwing bricks through businesses on Walnut. I'm pissed at myself for not saving a hard copy of the video on my computer. It was removed from my youtube account. The post on Reddit I saw it on disappeared. And now there is little evidence of Reclaim Philadelphia's privileged woke riot. I'm telling anyone, it was not "angry black men" rioting. In fact, the media and liberals trying to portray that as happening is in fact very racist in itself."

The looting on 52nd and Upper Darby was nearly all black populace. All the antifa stuff in CC/U City was white basement dwellers

Old 08-03-2022, 04:29 AM

7,760 posts, read 5,582,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
The looting on 52nd and Upper Darby was nearly all black populace. All the antifa stuff in CC/U City was white basement dwellers
This is just my opinion but I believe it was a Pandora’s box situation where since it happened in Rittenhouse, people thought it was okay or at least an opportunity for opportunists

Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 AM

14,397 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The moment the mother filed a lawsuit, any credibility was gone (and ben crump can scratch his a**).
She had a chance to teach her daughters a life lesson AND post incident they were invited for a meet and greet with all the characters. These girls are unfortunately being taught to have a chip on their shoulder and play the race card when something doesn't go their way. This lawsuit should be thrown out, but she will walk away with a large sum of money.

Sesame Place botched their initial apology though, and the racial respect training was unnecessary and misleading. They have a bad PR team and prematurely caved to the mob instead of defending an honest mistake.
I don't know if a character shaking their head "no" rises to the level of a lawsuit, but I don't think you're aware of how many Blacks see themselves as getting quietly disrespectful treatment from others who should be serving or tending to them.

You live in New York, so I'm sure you're familiar with the almost-cliché about cabbies passing by Blacks trying to hail them. But it happens in other places and ways as well. I've "soaked in whiteness" for most of my time on this planet (there's some stuff on why in this article), so I don't make some of the assumptions many Blacks made about how they will be treated by whites, but an incident this past Sunday touches on this subject directly.

The two people who helped me move across Germantown and I were all dining outside at a restaurant in Spring Garden when it started to rain lightly. There was one other group of diners. As the rain started, the busboy (our waitress was Black; he was white) came out to ask the other group if they wanted to be seated under the retractable awning next to the restaurant instead.

He spent a fair bit of time talking with this group (mixed white and Middle Eastern) while the awning got extended. After a few minutes, one of my companions said, "Let's go. He's not going to move us. We've got to move ourselves."

I asked, "are you sure?" He responded, "Yes." And we got up and moved before our waitress showed up with the other two items we had ordered.

Now, we will never know whether I was right to ask that question, for we moved before the busboy had a chance to come over. But the time he spent dealing with that other group of diners fit right into that meta-narrative, and my dining companion responded as that narrative would direct him to.

This sort of thing probably happens far more often than most white folks know. And most of the time, we don't make an issue of it. But maybe we should just to raise people's consciousness?

Old 08-03-2022, 06:41 AM

7,760 posts, read 5,582,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
This sort of thing probably happens far more often than most white folks know. And most of the time, we don't make an issue of it. But maybe we should just to raise people's consciousness?
While I can sympathize with you, I do wonder how much a story like that is born out of your own unconscious bias. I get crap service all the time. In fact, I have a similar story from very recently but the reverse. I went with a few of my friends to a Drag Quizzo at the Bok not long ago. It was about 110 degrees up there. Asked if we could sit in the shade. LGBTQ Black guy working said no to me. Proceeded to seat people in the shade two minutes later. I might have been getting a bit loopy from the heat, but I was pretty convinced that same guy who seated people, also took people's drink/food orders, and was purposefully ignoring me because I was a straight white guy wearing a phillies hat at a drag quizzo. My table was only able to order two rounds while he went to the other people around us multiple more times. Honestly I left pretty annoyed.

Now before I say I was discriminated against (and yes, I realize I already implied it in my storytelling), I think I should have readjusted my perspective and realized there was a lot of other straight white guys there at the same time. It was my own unconscious bias that led me to thinking otherwise. I can't help but feel that way about the Sesame Street stories. You don't think hundreds of black children get high-fives from Elmo every day there? Frankly, the way the NY Post was posting about, it seemed like the goal was simply to bad mouth our local amusement park so it will go out of business.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:24 AM

14,397 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
While I can sympathize with you, I do wonder how much a story like that is born out of your own unconscious bias. I get crap service all the time. In fact, I have a similar story from very recently but the reverse. I went with a few of my friends to a Drag Quizzo at the Bok not long ago. It was about 110 degrees up there. Asked if we could sit in the shade. LGBTQ Black guy working said no to me. Proceeded to seat people in the shade two minutes later. I might have been getting a bit loopy from the heat, but I was pretty convinced that same guy who seated people, also took people's drink/food orders, and was purposefully ignoring me because I was a straight white guy wearing a phillies hat at a drag quizzo. My table was only able to order two rounds while he went to the other people around us multiple more times. Honestly I left pretty annoyed.

Now before I say I was discriminated against (and yes, I realize I already implied it in my storytelling), I think I should have readjusted my perspective and realized there was a lot of other straight white guys there at the same time. It was my own unconscious bias that led me to thinking otherwise. I can't help but feel that way about the Sesame Street stories. You don't think hundreds of black children get high-fives from Elmo every day there? Frankly, the way the NY Post was posting about, it seemed like the goal was simply to bad mouth our local amusement park so it will go out of business.
I actually agree with the point you make here. My own reaction in that situation would probably have been to wait a little longer to see if the guy actually did break off conversation and come down to our table.

We all have unconscious and subconscious biases. When it comes to race in America, however, they're often distorted thanks to the status Blacks had as nonpersons, then second-class citizens, for most of the country's history up to this point (Jefferson: "...the million injustices recalled by the blacks..."). And that's true for both whites and Blacks.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:22 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I actually agree with the point you make here. My own reaction in that situation would probably have been to wait a little longer to see if the guy actually did break off conversation and come down to our table.

We all have unconscious and subconscious biases. When it comes to race in America, however, they're often distorted thanks to the status Blacks had as nonpersons, then second-class citizens, for most of the country's history up to this point (Jefferson: "...the million injustices recalled by the blacks..."). And that's true for both whites and Blacks.
Since we are on this deep topic (yet great conversation), do you feel that Asians, Hispanics (basically any non-white groups of people) fall into this category? Are these instances more extreme with the black community? Is the black community more sensitive to these instances?

In the end we are human, and vitriol behavior comes from all colors, take for example the disturbing attacks of many Asian people last year in Philadelphia and NYC (committed by young black men & women). And I've been accosted at random 3 times in my life for being gay, all by young black men & women, and all in NYC and Philadelphia.

I guess my point, the first paragraph is honest questions, the second is that I think unconscious bias does exist, there is a level of victimhood, entitlement, I think race relations have gotten worse since pre BLM, and it's becoming harder for me to sympathize with these stories (Sesame Place) when it could have been a simple oversight, resulting in an over the top lawsuit.

Separately, some of the most egregious examples of recent racism, homophobia and violence are committed by young black people (as referenced above). At some point we all have to look at ourselves and realize we too are part of the problem (speaking at large).

My post is not meant to offend, honest talking points.

Last edited by cpomp; 08-03-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 02:01 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
I must point out that murders in Philadelphia have SURPASSED last years record breaking number, and shootings are also up from 2021. What the heck is going on?...

Old 08-03-2022, 02:31 PM

393 posts, read 274,650 times
Great discussion in the last few posts and I agree with most of what you said cpomp.

As for surpassing last year’s murder numbers, I’m surprised because it seems like things have been quieting down after a horrible start to July but last year’s number doesn’t seem to be going up much recently so I guess this was a relatively quiet period last year too.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:40 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Great discussion in the last few posts and I agree with most of what you said cpomp.

As for surpassing last year’s murder numbers, I’m surprised because it seems like things have been quieting down after a horrible start to July but last year’s number doesn’t seem to be going up much recently so I guess this was a relatively quiet period last year too.
This years shootings outpaced last years for quite a while. It’s not that surprising. The only reason is didn’t happen earlier is because of where people were being shot and EMS response time.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:04 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Since we are on this deep topic (yet great conversation), do you feel that Asians, Hispanics (basically any non-white groups of people) fall into this category? Are these instances more extreme with the black community? Is the black community more sensitive to these instances?

In the end we are human, and vitriol behavior comes from all colors, take for example the disturbing attacks of many Asian people last year in Philadelphia and NYC (committed by young black men & women). And I've been accosted at random 3 times in my life for being gay, all by young black men & women, and all in NYC and Philadelphia.

I guess my point, the first paragraph is honest questions, the second is that I think unconscious bias does exist, there is a level of victimhood, entitlement, I think race relations have gotten worse since pre BLM, and it's becoming harder for me to sympathize with these stories (Sesame Place) when it could have been a simple oversight, resulting in an over the top lawsuit.

Separately, some of the most egregious examples of recent racism, homophobia and violence are committed by young black people (as referenced above). At some point we all have to look at ourselves and realize we too are part of the problem (speaking at large).

My post is not meant to offend, honest talking points.
FWIW, any harassment (both public and private) I've endured pertaining to my sexuality, from my memory, has come from down-on-their-luck white people. Hurt people hurt people. It sucks in the moment, and certain instances have even made me feel unsafe. But when I reflect back on any of those people, I know they must have been hurting a lot to want to do that to me. No, I am most certainly not excusing their behavior. But it gives me peace when I think of it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia