Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 03:45 PM

9,435 posts, read 9,447,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Man attacked and robbed on April 2nd, around 8 p.m., Center City (13th and Walnut):

https://6abc.com/police-6-juveniles-...hilly/5240509/

Aren't they adorable?

Aaaah ... no big deal, this happens all the time in big cities. I mean, it's never happened to me ...
These are the crimes that worry me... All the gang shootings in bad areas aren't great, but they are isolated and have a planned target, but this... this could have literally been anyone taking a stroll in a very busy part of Center City... Not quite sure how to stop stuff like this from happening...

Also, that footage looks like the Wawa at Broad and Walnut, what a disaster that store has become.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,784,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
These are the crimes that worry me... All the gang shootings in bad areas aren't great, but they are isolated and have a planned target, but this... this could have literally been anyone taking a stroll in a very busy part of Center City... Not quite sure how to stop stuff like this from happening...

Also, that footage looks like the Wawa at Broad and Walnut, what a disaster that store has become.
That wawa has the best hoagies

Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 AM

14,371 posts, read 9,274,077 times
Quote:

It's now the only Wawa store I know of in the Greater Philadelphia region that's not open 24/7. The company cut its hours back to 6 am-11 pm because of all the problems they had in the wee smalls.

(All Wawa stores, btw, are company-owned - they don't franchise. And as I think we all know, Wawa has a very strong corporate culture, bolstered by an employee stock ownership plan.)

Old 04-10-2019, 04:57 AM

938 posts, read 450,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That wawa has the best hoagies
... and even better grilled sourdough sandwiches.

Anyway, a female, high on drugs, stole a city pickup truck at nine o'clock last night @12th and Walnut before being apprehended by police @16th and Locust.

The fun never ends!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 AM

9,435 posts, read 9,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's now the only Wawa store I know of in the Greater Philadelphia region that's not open 24/7. The company cut its hours back to 6 am-11 pm because of all the problems they had in the wee smalls.

(All Wawa stores, btw, are company-owned - they don't franchise. And as I think we all know, Wawa has a very strong corporate culture, bolstered by an employee stock ownership plan.)
I know Wawa is a great company with a strong corporate culture, I have a family friend who is actually pretty high up in their creative food department (she figures out all the new food offerings). I love Wawa as a company, my irritations on this topic do not reflect my views of Wawa.

But that wasn't my point, my point was that this store was a disaster from the start, and myself and a few others knew that would be the case. This store is a haven for all sorts of problems and it also seems to be a meet up point for idiots (like that group in the article) who plan to rob innocent people a mere block away.

I personally would rather this store just close, I hate more banks, but a new Chase Bank at that corner would certainly help from a safety standpoint, it definitely helped at 15th and Chestnut when a Wells Fargo took the Wendys space.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-10-2019 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 990,549 times
It will be interesting to see if any of these a-holes gets picked up.

The problem is the culture of silence. Those pictures of them are perfectly clear. It's whether someone will turn them in. No one talks. That's the problem.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,817,304 times
Quote:

It needs to be closed.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 AM

[quote=MarketStEl;54903662]It's now the only Wawa store I know of in the Greater Philadelphia region that's not open 24/7. The company cut its hours back to 6 am-11 pm because of all the problems they had in the wee smalls.

(All Wawa stores, btw, are company-owned - they don't franchise. And as I think we all know, Wawa has a very strong corporate culture, bolstered by an employee stock ownership plan.)[/QUOTE

Cut the hours more or close the store. They won't miss the profits. Effing Wawa pop-ups ads have been populating the internet for months anyhow. It's as well known nationally as cheesesteaks wrt Phila.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I know Wawa is a great company with a strong corporate culture, I have a family friend who is actually pretty high up in their creative food department (she figures out all the new food offerings). I love Wawa as a company, my irritations on this topic do not reflect my views of Wawa.

But that wasn't my point, my point was that this store was a disaster from the start, and myself and a few others knew that would be the case. This store is a haven for all sorts of problems and it also seems to be a meet up point for idiots (like that group in the article) who plan to rob innocent people a mere block away.

I personally would rather this store just close, I hate more banks, but a new Chase Bank at that corner would certainly help from a safety standpoint, it definitely helped at 15th and Chestnut when a Wells Fargo took the Wendys space.

Putting Wells Fargo there was a bit of everything old is new again since First Pennsylvania was cattycorner to it in a bygone time. The dome part of the Ritz-Carlton was the teller area of Girard Trust. So nothing wrong with bank branches.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM

14,371 posts, read 9,274,077 times
Quote:
This could be an example of the big difference small distances make.

Of course, there's still a Wendy's at 15th and Chestnut, but it's a smaller store with fewer seats about 50 feet or so west of the corner on Chestnut.

And there's a Wawa at 13th and Chestnut now that doesn't seem to attract this sort of crowd.

I guess it's the old real estate mantra at work: The three most important attributes of a property are location, location and location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Putting Wells Fargo there was a bit of everything old is new again since First Pennsylvania was cattycorner to it in a bygone time. The dome part of the Ritz-Carlton was the teller area of Girard Trust. So nothing wrong with bank branches.
But I agree with Jane Jacobs that having a bank on every one of the four corners puts a damper on activity.

That described the intersection of Broad and Chestnut both when she laid eyes on it in 1960 or thereabouts and when I first moved here in 1983.

The banks gradually either fell (Western Savings/later PSFS, Philadelphia National/CoreStates) or moved (Girard/Mellon, Provident/PNC), and now there are none on that intersection. In their place are a Walgreens, a Capital Grille steakhouse, a craft store (which replaced a record store) and the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

I'd say that's a much better mix now. And there's a TD Bank branch just a half block south and Wells Fargo's main Philly office across Sansom Street from it.

There's probably some retail or restaurant use that could replace that Wawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia