Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,107 times

Advertisements

I am looking at homes soon past the home depot in clifton heights, on the right side of baltimore pike (if you are driving from the springfield mall). Can anyone tell me pros and cons of the neighborhood? My main concern is safety (or at least the safety of property considering I dont think the area has much crime issues). I am not too familiar with the area, mostly I know drexel hill, havertown, broomall, west chester.

Im new here! any tips are appreciated =)

Edit: the area is specifically past springfield road. I guess it would be bordering aldan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,432 times
Apologies for the late reply, but I know the area you're referring to very well.

I'm trying to get a mental picture of exactly where you mean. I'll give you information on both ends of the Home Depot.

If the area you're talking about is near the No Name Grocery Store, the K-Mart, 7-11, Walt's Steaks, Rosati's, Clifton Pool, the old mills, the 102 Trolley stop, etc.... do not live there. It was never "nice", merely stable and safe, and it isn't what it used to be. It's not ghetto or anything but the fact is that I wouldn't advise anybody not from a working class neighborhood or used to living in one to move there. There are definitely crime problems and always have been, though they used to be a lot more in the background. Vandalism is high, as is theft, and every now and then there's an armed robbery of the 7-11 or somewhere similar in that area. Not to mention the way the neighborhood changes at night. Drug dealing is high, and rarely, people may get robbed. Things happen there that don't make the papers, like that shooting that happened (the first actual shooting and not self-defense or police shooting that I can recall ever happening in the borough) sometime in the fall that only got mentioned in the Delco Times, not even on the evening or morning news. Check out the police reports if you don't believe me about things happening there that don't make the paper: Clifton Heights Police Department - Past Reports Like I said, it's not ghetto but it's not somewhere I would recommend to somebody who is new to the area.

Now on the other side of the Home Depot, near Bishop Ave, this area is "nicer" but still basically Clifton Heights. Street smarts are required, expect loud things going on at night, fighting at times, unruly behavior, etc.

Oh, and people will steal just about anything that isn't tied down, especially from your car or front window.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Apologies for the late reply, but I know the area you're referring to very well.

I.................Past Reports Like I said, it's not ghetto but it's not somewhere I would recommend to somebody who is new to the area.

Now on the other side of the Home Depot, near Bishop Ave, this area is "nicer" but still basically Clifton Heights. Street smarts are required, expect loud things going on at night, fighting at times, unruly behavior, etc.

Oh, and people will steal just about anything that isn't tied down, especially from your car or front window.
I only know CH to drive through occasionally but the above description is pretty much what I have always heard about it so it has a bad reputation.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM

50 posts, read 104,680 times
Edsel_town, I disagree strongly with UDResident's portrayal of Clifton Heights as a working class town to be avoided. I grew up in Clifton; have one parent still living there; and I walk all the neighborhoods whenever I visit because I love to walk. I personally have never felt physically in danger when walking the residential neighborhoods day or night. And I walk from one end of town to the other and back. My parent's car is parked in a driveway and has never been vandalized or harmed in any way. (Of course, vandalism occurs but it is far from "vandalism is high, as is theft".) Yes, go through the Clifton police records via the link and see what you think (dui, some reported business robberies and shoplifting of businesses along Baltimore Pike), etc. but nothing indicating high personal or property crime rates, especially in the residential areas off Baltimore Pike or Springfield Avenue. Walk the town yourself. Drop in on the Volunteer Fire Company at Baltimore and Springfield Avenue. Go to one of the local family owned restaurants. Drop in at Borough Hall and talk to the police officers. If this were late June, I would say go to the July 4th parade and fireworks in Clifton and you will see lots of real life community spirit by hundreds of Clifton residents. Yes, Clifton as other working class communities has seen better days, but it is still very livable and a good place to live.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Though economically I have been lucky to have "made it" in my adult years and have the toys and other trappings of an upper middle class life, my working class roots developed from growing up in Clifton are still there.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM

25 posts, read 34,637 times
The Pizza Hut/WingStreet in Clifton Heights has a problem with rats, and I wouldn't be surprised if any other restaurants in the town do (such as the Flap Jack across the street). And the one time I ever ate there, the McDonald's was nasty.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM

More Clifton stories from the present day which counter " do not live there. It was never "nice", merely stable and safe, and it isn't what it used to be." My parent is elderly and I live in Texas. Any time there is a snowstorm a great neighbor across the street clears the sidewalk. A few more doors down a neighbor is a residential contractor and has really fixed up his home to be the showplace of the street. He and his wife have a couple elementary school age kids. My parent has used his services to replace the siding on the home several years ago and has been very satisfied. The neighbor next door in the duplex is a young man who inherited the house from his grandparents. When he was younger he had some drug issues but has turned his life around with his wife and two young kids. There's a genuine family owned corner grocery store that serves the neighborhood. My parent loves to walk too and does so throughout all the Clifton neighborhoods for regular exercise. My parent's thriving community church is less than a mile away in Aldan (past the NoName Grocery Store) The post office, police station and borough hall are blocks away. Some houses in Clifton are poorly or not maintained at all and should be torn down, but there are many others where it is obvious from walking by on the street that the homeowners have made substantial renovations. There is no evidence of high property crime or vandalism of any sort, just working class folks trying to make it. Driving through Clifton in a car from a more upscale suburb like Springfield or Swarthmore may cause one to gulp and lock one's doors, but that was the snobby attitude when I was growing up as well.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 AM

38 posts, read 70,716 times
I live in Aldan, but I like Clifton Heights.

-There's a *spectacular* fireworks show on the fourth.
-Gaetano's Pizza, the Clam Tavern, and Broadway Bar and Grille are all good eats.
-The trolley and the Media-Elwyn line are right there, 20 minutes to the city.
-All of the box stores are just 10 minutes up Baltimore Pike, but not in your backyard.
-You can check out the events that happen in Lansdowne or avoid them when you aren't interested in the traffic.
-I've had some really great physicians at the Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital clinics and it's maybe a 7 minute drive from Clifton.

Some blocks are nicer than others, but overall it's a happy spot. I can't really speak to property crime, but I've never felt unsafe walking through Clifton Heights at night; a lot of people there seem genuinely interested in their neighborhood and so it feels tight knit if anything.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Mdez quote - "Agreed, Clifton Heights, along with many other towns in the lower portion of Delaware county are predominantly lower class whites "white trash" if you will. In Delco the further south you go, the socioeconomic statuses and education levels decline." Well, growing up in Clifton and still visiting family there once or twice a year for a few days, I guess I count as "white trash if you will". My wife and I are blessed that our economic status puts us in the upper brackets of income and that my college alma mater is one of the "elites", but my roots...my psyche...comes from working class Clifton where as I walk the streets there as a visitor I recognize the kids, the families, and the elderly all just trying to make it. The "white trash" put their best foot forward on July 4 with the town parade down Baltimore Pike and the fireworks where thousands come spread their blankets and enjoy. Good ol' white trash. Count me among them.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 PM

222 posts, read 196,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llanoestacado View Post
Mdez quote - "Agreed, Clifton Heights, along with many other towns in the lower portion of Delaware county are predominantly lower class whites "white trash" if you will. In Delco the further south you go, the socioeconomic statuses and education levels decline." Well, growing up in Clifton and still visiting family there once or twice a year for a few days, I guess I count as "white trash if you will". My wife and I are blessed that our economic status puts us in the upper brackets of income and that my college alma mater is one of the "elites", but my roots...my psyche...comes from working class Clifton where as I walk the streets there as a visitor I recognize the kids, the families, and the elderly all just trying to make it. The "white trash" put their best foot forward on July 4 with the town parade down Baltimore Pike and the fireworks where thousands come spread their blankets and enjoy. Good ol' white trash. Count me among them.
I was strictly speaking of present day Clifton Heights. Judging by your post, you sound like you're much older than I am, so the Clifton Heights that you grew up in may not have exactly been the dump it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia