Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,044 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My boyfriend and I are about to make an offer on a row home in Clifton Heights. We are relocating from Maryland and loved the area when we went to visit.

What is the local reputation of Clifton Heights near the R3 line and the surrounding area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
I don't think Clifton Heights has much of a reputation... it's so small that most people outside of DelCo probably haven't heard of it.

I think it's a nice place. Not flashy or very affluent, but stable. I think you'd find a lot of "old timers" who've lived there all their lives.

I used to commute by the R3. It's convenient.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I echo passdoubt's sentiments. It's a solid neighborhood, neither as flashy nor as gritty as some surrounding communities. I would feel comfortable making that choice.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,955 times
My wife and I love Clifton! We have lived in Clifton with our 8 yr. old son for 6 yrs. Tons of kids to play with, great ssports programs, awesome restaurants and bars, just a cool place to live.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
Get used to sitting on Baltimore pike as crawling down it. Used to take me 35 mins to get from the Target to the home depot on Saturdays.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 AM

45 posts, read 209,348 times
Clifton Heights is your working class area. Solid, friendly, and near to lots of places. I think your like it.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 AM

70 posts, read 233,480 times
Hey penciltucky! how was your move? I think clifton is still ok. But like pencilturcky said, the traffic on Baltimore pike can be aweful

Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 16,461 times
I've lived in Clifton Heights my whole life, and I couldn't ask for a better place to live. My neighbors are like my family, and I love my row home and hanging out in my alley. I live in Westbrook Park a smaller part of Clifton but I wouldn't want to live anywhere. The people they are so incrediable, go to the poorest neighborhoods, or the richest and you can't find these people. The Catholic schools are very excellent as well. The shopping is great, and it's near everything. It's an awesome place to live.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Having grown up in Clifton and recently moved from Drexel Hill right over the Clifton border, I have to respectfully disagree. Driving up Baltimore Pike from the Lansdowne border you see all kinds of riff raff just hangin out in front of their houses and apartments, lots of out of business places and the place just looks trashy these days...the crime spillover from West Philly has worsened in recent years...about a year or two ago there was daylight holdup of the 7-11 across from the car wash...the only successful new business in years btw...a few years before that, there were several afternoon robberies further up Baltimore Pike...the Pizza Hut and some other business I can't recall...

The Kmart down the hill has become a real dump, serving people from poorer areas with all the bad attitude that comes with it...ultimately it became people who didn't give a **** serving people who didnt' give a ****...the few times I convinced myself to go there for something I would always think "I should have my head examined for coming back here." The shelves would be empty, disorganized, and most of the registers closed...

So basically I have little love for Clifton, or that section of Drexel Hill even though I found the people nicer. Both of those towns have seen better days and are experiencing an influx of people from poorer sections looking for cheap housing...that is good for them but ultimately bad for the neighborhoods as the residents age or move away leaving the towns down a rung on the socioeconomic ladder, with a smaller tax base and an increased burden on police due to crime and domestic calls...

I would look to Springfield or Havertown if you wan much nicer...or Drexel Hill over by Township Line Road...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 23,716 times
I agree Clifton Heights is a dump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia