Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Anyone want to give it a shot? It's been two years and a lot of things have changed... or should we not bother since it is kind of degrading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM

41 posts, read 69,830 times
..lol 'saftey map'....

Old 03-14-2012, 05:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
is that anything like the safety dance?

Men Without Hats - Safety Dance [Official Video] - YouTube

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Philadelphia County Safety Map - Google Maps

this... from a few years back

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
What is the story with the Hood East of Broad. I've walked through there before and noticed it. Why are those couple of blocks bad, given that the surrounding area and virtually all of south philly east of broad is pretty decent?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
What is the story with the Hood East of Broad. I've walked through there before and noticed it. Why are those couple of blocks bad, given that the surrounding area and virtually all of south philly east of broad is pretty decent?
There used to be projects in the northern yellow block in Bella Vista... they were destroyed so the area is cleaning up from that. The other few blocks still have projects there I believe.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There used to be projects in the northern yellow block in Bella Vista... they were destroyed so the area is cleaning up from that. The other few blocks still have projects there I believe.
yeah i knew the northern yellow block had those high rise projects. i think there is still low-income housing there. wasn't sure about the area south of washington ave though.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
yeah i knew the northern yellow block had those high rise projects. i think there is still low-income housing there. wasn't sure about the area south of washington ave though.
That area along 5th/6th/7th was an eastern european/jewish neighborhood all the way from Pine St. down to Wolf. It was always a little on the ghetto side. If you spend much time walking around there (particularly along the broder of Queen Village and Bella Vista and keep an eye out you'll see quite a few old synagogues, some of them repurposed and some of them just vacant.

In the 50s the Jews moved, en masse, to the Northeast or to Cherry Hill. It created huge vacancy rates and resulted in a crash in already low property values. The people of modest means who used to live there were replaced by people of no means.

Pennsport was/is an irish-american neighborhood and never emptied out like that and the same can be said for the italian-american neighborhood just to the west of it.

To be fair, the E. Passyunk area has become less italian but prices there never fell and the people moving in have been either entrepreneurial immigrants or are better educated than the people moving out.

Anyway, it's fairly typical for ethnic settlement in Philly to be linear along bus (or old trolley) routes.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 AM

159 posts, read 316,933 times
Interesting. I might have a go at it in the near future - Philly really is so block by block that even the safety map can be too general, but the old one helped me a lot when I was moving here with pretty much no knowledge of the city at all. I was not here in 2008, but gentrification seems to be occurring at a pretty fast rate, definitely evident here in West Philly when you start pushing out towards 50th.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

It's very evident in Germantown too in the Northwest... and in the Lower North and in South Philly. I agree, I think the map helps out tourists, new comers to the city and short time/life long residents as well. It's a great tool. One thing I noticed that needs changing dramatically is the Temple University area. A lot has happened here in merely two years and some more areas need to be green, yellow and orange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia