Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 33,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I am visiting Philadelphia over spring break and after reading some of the stories posted online (yes, I do know not to believe everything I read online), I'm becoming a little nervous. From what I've read online, I know to stay away from North Philly and West Philly. My friend and I are staying in Old City. We're college students, so we do want to go out and experience the nightlife. We want to go out in Old City, Center City, and Rittenhouse Square. Is it safe to walk around at night in these neighborhoods? Should we avoid the subway at night and just take a cab or the bus? My friend is a guy, so that makes me feel a little safer, but I'm still bringing my pepper spray with me. I was in Center City over the summer but I only visited for two days and didn't go out at night. I had so much fun that I'm coming back, but I'm just a little worried about going out at night. I'm sorry if I seem overly concerned. Any safety tips (besides the typical street smarts) would be welcomed. Thank you all for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
The subway doesn't run very late, so that's maybe a non-issue. But those three places (well, technically those are all Center City) are generally safe and within walking distance, and if it was me I'd probably just walk day or night, or get a cab if it was late and I was tired.
You will have no reason to go to North Philly, or the dangerous parts of West Philly, so that will be another non-issue.
If you go out in Northern Liberties or Fishtown you'll want to be a little more aware of your surroundings at night, and they're a little bit more remote, but easy to reach by subway, but if it's late I'd advise a cab over walking or public transit.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
the subway doesn't run past midnight unfortunately so the choice is made for you. it turns into a bus after that. old city can get a little hectic late at night with drunk moron fights, etc, but there seem to be a lot fewer of those in the rest of center city. over the past ten years I've never had a problem walking home in center city at all hours of the night. anyway, I wouldn't be overly concerned. if you can't walk straight it might be a good idea to take a cab but otherwise it's a walking town. I don't know that you have to avoid north philly, the places you'd likely go like fairmount (eastern state penitentiary) are fine, and university city in west philly is also fine. where will you be staying?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 AM

429 posts, read 718,962 times
Pman, she said she's staying in Old City.

Look, you are young. Go out of the nest. Spread your wings. Enjoy the CITY!
Sounds like you've been rather sheltered. Go. Fly. Don't get drunk and do stupid things and you'll be fine. Like a previous poster said Philadelphia is a walking city, so go walk, explore. Both of you will be fine.

Now, scoot, both of you and have fun.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
As a general rule, the only thing you'll have to "fear" in Old City is the general douchebaggery of many of the bar patrons who have traveled in from the burbs for a night of drinking, yelling, fighting and vomiting.

Other than that you've got a 99.999% chance of nothing bad happening to you.

Have fun.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Don't be scared.. Like everyone said, just use your head and you will be fine. is like any other city..

Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 AM

6 posts, read 33,189 times
Thanks, everyone! I'm not really sheltered. It's just that almost everyone I know who knows I'm going there has said, "Oh, you're going to Killadelphia?" or "You'll get mugged." I think I've just let them put ideas in my head. Basically, I need new friends haha. Philadelphia is just like any other city. You all have definitely made me feel much better!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Enjoy your visit. If your friends are worried, show them these photos and tell them they are welcome to stay home while you have a good time:

All sizes | 2011Jun04_9091 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edpronay/5800369651/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Join the action on Second Street in Old City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/visitphilly/2711861864/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Outside two galleries on Second Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/visitphilly/2711861350/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

"National Geographic Magazine has called Old City “the liveliest urban neighborhood between Soho in New York and SoBe [South Beach] in Miami."

Filled with restaurants, bars, clubs and lounges, it’s easy to see why. Old City’s streets are filled with people at all hours of the day. This is where Philadelphia goes to party."

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 58,180 times
You're going to be fine! AND you're going to have an amazing time, Philly is so much fun, especially around University City.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
Don't get drunk and do stupid things and you'll be fine.
This is the best advice. People who get in trouble are usually drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia