Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 PM

60 posts, read 100,131 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Jersey, but is their argument at all legitimate?

It seems to me that people in Philadelphia have the regular Pennsylvania accent (not the New York influenced Jersey accent) but metro Philadelphia of course is more dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
LOL , no way is it even close and the cultures are different. Philly is more laided back then most of NJ. Whats a Pennsylvania accent? Metro Philly is slightly more dense then Tri-state area and it will get even more dense over the next few decades. However NJ is very dense , by people per SQ mile we rank # in North America. The Density in both states is centered around Railway or old Trolley Corridors and extends 2 miles from each small and large city.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Politically I would say Philadelphia and New York have much more in common with New Jersey than their respective states and have always said that Jersey would be a beast of a state if Philly and New York switched over. But there are many things about Philly culturally and tradition wise that have it fit in nicely with the rest of Pennsylvania. There is no "Pennsylvania accent" by the way. The Philly accent is heard in PA and NJ. There are places like Lehigh Valley which are very close to Philly but have a slightly different accent.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats a Pennsylvania accent?
Nobody ever thinks they have one, but y'all do. I frequently hear things from people from this area that just sound funny. Words like water and hot dog come to mind. There are others, I just can't think of them right now off the top of my head...but a distinct Philly accent definitely exists.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Nobody ever thinks they have one, but y'all do. I frequently hear things from people from this area that just sound funny. Words like water and hot dog come to mind. There are others, I just can't think of them right now off the top of my head...but a distinct Philly accent definitely exists.
PA is a BIG state, and Philly is on it's far southeastern tip.
People on the western side don't have Philly accents. They also do things like say "pop" instead of "soda". I think Philly has more in common with most of NJ than, say, Crawford county.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I find Philly has more similarities to NJ than PA for the following reasons:
1) Pace - Sandwiched between NY and Philly, NJ over all is a pretty fast-paced state. Heading west and north of Chester County, the pace of PA slows much more so than that of NJ. I find Philly mirrors the pace of NJ much more so than the pace of the bulk of PA.
2) Topography - Like most of NJ, Philly is flat. Contrast that with PA. Driving around NJ, I don't notice the change in topography like I do heading out towards KoP. This difference only increases traveling west and north deeper into PA.
3) Geography: Philly is the only part of PA located in Bos-Wash. All of NJ is.
4) Politics - NJ votes pretty consistently Democratic. Aside from Philly and Pittsburgh, PA not so much.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Without Philly it's Pennsyltucky

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
And when people say "Jersey" they are often thinking of Northern New Jersey. Southern and coastal New Jersey is not a bit like the areas around New York City or Philadelphia. I think it's just human nature to want things/places to be categorized. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the differences in areas.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
The reason some people say that is because philadelphia is very different than the rest of the state. People out in central and western PA, basically those who live in the middle of nowhere think that philadelphia is wasteland and that all of the states money is going toward the city, and that the suburbs of philly are filled with snobby people who act like people from new jersey, more so north jersey. Of course the part about philly being a wasteland isnt true, but the suburbs, sort of true. Anyways my view on this is, if you were to take southeastern pa, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Buck, and Philadelphia counties and put them in new jersey, Pennsylvania would be a very poor state and would be bankrupt. The philly region is pennsylvania IMO. Yes you have pittsburgh, but that wouldnt be enough to save the rest of the state.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
How many of us even know what Pennsylvania is like? I don't meet many people in Philly who have ever been west of King of Prussia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia