Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Per HiddenCityPhilly: Partial demolition for Boyd Theatre is imminent. But what part are they going to be demo-ing?

Demolition Of Boyd Auditorium Imminent, Though Lobby And Hall Will Stay | Hidden City Philadelphia
The auditorium which they showed in the photo.

The lobby, which I've described in another thread, has massive mirrors, a staircase to the balcony and had additional staircases to the restrooms in the basement. There was also a lounge area in the basement. When it was last used as a theater, the basement restrooms fixtures, sinks, toilets, etc.,were probably the orginals from the 1930s or before.

There was also a stand alone concessions stand in the middle of the lobby.

The lobby, IMO, is a smaller version of the one in Radio City Music Hall in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
So you can see from the drawing where the lobby is which they want to maintain.

I see they plan to retain the area just past lobby. That was the entrances to the main auditorium: a carpeted walkway with door/openings to the main auditorium. Actually this project may not turn out to be as bad as I thought when it seemed like all that would be saved was the outside marqee and entrance.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
So you can see from the drawing where the lobby is which they want to maintain.

I see they plan to retain the area just past lobby. That was the entrances to the main auditorium: a carpeted walkway with door/openings to the main auditorium. Actually this project may not turn out to be as bad as I thought when it seemed like all that would be saved was the outside marqee and entrance.
To be honest, I am not sure where the front, the back etc on the map. Plus I had never been inside. So it is a little bit hard for me to imagine which parts that will stay and which parts will be demo-ed.
kyb01, I trust yourjudgement since you had been there.
One thing for sure, it will make one grandeur lobby to the apartment building per proposed.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 PM

ON another news, more LCD displays on Market East?
See, kyb1, my fear will become reality .
Ha ha.
But let's see whether the bill will be approved and maybe it will create boon to the area. Who knows.

Changing Skyline: Bill would transform city streets into blaring, blazing digital billboard

Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Ha ha.
But let's see whether the bill will be approved and maybe it will create boon to the area. Who knows.

Changing Skyline: Bill would transform city streets into blaring, blazing digital billboard
Looking forward to it. Glad their adding more lighting.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Looking forward to it. Glad their adding more lighting.

Yeah with the already installed one on Lit, the upcoming East Market building and finally these new proposed lights the area will be bright bright bright!

I personally think some more lighting is needed there - it makes the area less threatening. It is just like that bright LCD screen on North Broad Street near the movie theater around the Temple campus area.
Although the last time I had some craving for certain hummus and falafels in Olde City and decided to get out around 11 pm (which is super rare for me), the lights on the Lit Bldg was off.
Anybody knows why?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Ha ha.

In her typical hysterical fashion, Inga is against something that hasn't really happened yet. Ironically I think the Pulitzer win has made her less interesting. Plus I don't think developers care what she says.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
In her typical hysterical fashion, Inga is against something that hasn't really happened yet. Ironically I think the Pulitzer win has made her less interesting. Plus I don't think developers care what she says.
They probably don't, but I also have my reservations about an "everything for sale" public realm. It's precisely before the deals go down that one needs to express those reservations. Think what that bill Darrell Clarke proposed creating that new Cabinet department to oversee planning and development would look like now had a bunch of people not yelled about all the Council overreach contained in it while it was making its way through the sausage grinder.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
The auditorium which they showed in the photo.

The lobby, which I've described in another thread, has massive mirrors, a staircase to the balcony and had additional staircases to the restrooms in the basement. There was also a lounge area in the basement. When it was last used as a theater, the basement restrooms fixtures, sinks, toilets, etc.,were probably the orginals from the 1930s or before.

There was also a stand alone concessions stand in the middle of the lobby.

The lobby, IMO, is a smaller version of the one in Radio City Music Hall in NYC.
I guess they've started.

Demolition begins on historic Boyd Theater to supporters' dismay

Old 03-14-2015, 06:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Music history in South Broad hotel-condo project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia