Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times

Advertisements

Public Green Plans For 40th Street Trolley Portal To Break Ground In 2015 | Hidden City Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Depending on what's offered at these stores, I'm not so sure I'm all that excited TBH. "Grab-and-go sandwiches and fresh food" is the last thing I'd want at a place like this. The draw of a Target IMO comes from the larger store format, due to lacking discount department store-type amenities in CC. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like a corporate-ized version of a corner store...
We are on the a bit of the same page. I was initially as excited as the newscasters when they announced Target was opening up in CC and UC. Then I heard the details: the stores are only 1/6 the size of their suburban stores. My husband and I looked at each other and discussed what they might carry that we want: Dish towels? Casserole dishes? Laundry detergent? Cleaning supplies? Bath mats? OK, we'll go with that. While we may not purchase these items often, having a Target within walking distance will certainly be more convenient.

Here's what puzzles me, however: the newscaster said these small stores are intended to familiarize millennials with Target brand. When I see Target commercials, they seem to have a lot of dancing 20-somethings. (That said, only old people see TV ads those days so this may not be the ad campaign Don Draper would have developed.) So . . . if there are any of you millennials out there, is Target generally unknown to you? And how psyched are you about having a mini-version nearby?

Ultimately, I've been hoping we'd get a "city Target" in a re-imagined Gallery. Perhaps if these mini-Targets take off, that still may happen.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times

Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
We are on the a bit of the same page. I was initially as excited as the newscasters when they announced Target was opening up in CC and UC. Then I heard the details: the stores are only 1/6 the size of their suburban stores. My husband and I looked at each other and discussed what they might carry that we want: Dish towels? Casserole dishes? Laundry detergent? Cleaning supplies? Bath mats? OK, we'll go with that. While we may not purchase these items often, having a Target within walking distance will certainly be more convenient.

Here's what puzzles me, however: the newscaster said these small stores are intended to familiarize millennials with Target brand. When I see Target commercials, they seem to have a lot of dancing 20-somethings. (That said, only old people see TV ads those days so this may not be the ad campaign Don Draper would have developed.) So . . . if there are any of you millennials out there, is Target generally unknown to you? And how psyched are you about having a mini-version nearby?

Ultimately, I've been hoping we'd get a "city Target" in a re-imagined Gallery. Perhaps if these mini-Targets take off, that still may happen.
As a millenial, I am familiar with Target.
But I am a little bit pessmistic about City Target. In my mind, City Target will be just another Super Walgreens; like the one on South Broad Street. ( I also love that Walgreens btw)
The reason why I love Target in the first place is its eclectic and hip mixtures of cheap clothing, furniture and decor. (I love their Nate Berkus collab small furniture and decor. Also some t shirt from some companies sold in Urban Outfitters are available in Target with a slight difference and HALF the PRICE). With this City Target, I am not sure whether we will have those. It looks like City target will only have grocery needs and day to day basic needs.
Although according to the video I saw on youtube of advertised City Target in Minneapolis (?), it looks like we can order stuff online and pick them up in City Target. So maybe this means we can order the same knick knacks we saw in regular Target in the burbs.

Aside of that, I don't mind to have another option to shop our basic needs aside of the drug stores (Rite Aid, Walgreens), Old Nelson or even diBruno Brothers. And since I do not know how to cook, if our City Target will have that Pizza Hut, that will be super awesome.

And yeah I dont mind having Target in the re-imagined Gallery. Maybe it could take place where K Mart used to be. Although in my mind, I re-imagine that IF target took the 2nd and 3rd floors just like K Mart, there will be a public entrance from outside; like cascaded external escalators a la IFC Mall in Shanghai or that mall in Hollywood. (Don't rememeber the name, but it has elephants statues all over and you can see the Hollywood sign. Highland perhaps?)

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 01-12-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Although according to the video I saw on youtube of advertised City Target in Minneapolis (?).
Yeah, Target is headquarted in Minneapolis. Where they both prove how well they can build in the city (their flagship, attached to their corporate headquarters), and how poorly they understand the city (their store in one of my old hangouts, the Midway in St. Paul - built right next to a train station, after the construction of the line was already well planned and understood - the store set back so far from a main commercial corridor that you can't even see it from the street).

They are not developing the City Target in Philadelphia - which is kind of flawed concept of mashing big box and urbanism to begin with outside of a few places - and a redeveloped Gallery would be a good fit. They are developing Target Express - which is much smaller, convenience-type store (pretty much like you said, the Walgreens at Broad and Chestnut) designed to fit on the ground floor or a normal city building. The one you mention in Minneapolis is on the ground floor of an apartment building in Dinkytown, right next to the University of Minnesota's campus, another one of my old hangouts that I'm glad I got to hang out in before the big chains started leeching off of the city living trend among young people.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 AM

I am a bit disappointed that they will only develop Target Express. I did not know there are differences between City target and Target Express !
On a positive note, I always love going to Target because of its seemly clean environment.
Well another grocery store would not hurt.

Just don't put it in the new East Market development though.
Another spot pops up in my mind is that corner retail spot across from Hard Rock Cafe under Marriott. That has been vacant forever. I think that will be a good spot for Target Express.
Although that will make Market East to be pharmacist/drug store mecca since we have 2 Rite Aid, 1 CVS, 1 Seven Eleven, 1 Walgreens and 1 Super Walgreens within 5 blocks radius.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I live but two blocks from the portal.

The redesign of this public plaza is welcome, and the introduction of some greenery is nice. However, it would have pleased me more if they made some sort of attempt to pay homage to the neighborhood's undeniably Victorian character and architecture. An elegant fountain the middle, and/or Victorian style garden planters would be lovely!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Hmmm.....
To be honest I have gazillion ideas for Market East and that area of Center City, but I never thought of anything surrounding 30th Street Station.
The only thing I can think of is creating an adjacent hub for MegaBus and Bolt Bus in the building. It is horrendous to wait in line outside especially when it is cold or raining. Some type of waiting room. That will be super nice.
Or (another crazy idea) is to create a skywalk toward the area where people are waiting for the bus now and build a small building there a la Greyhound stop so people can wait for their buses to come.
Maybe I have to come to this meeting then.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM

How did I miss this?
This will be nice! And a cafe too?
It is much better then the barren-ness atm!
But I agree with somebody else said, it will be nice if they have it like a victorian-themed park to integrate it with the rest of the surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia