Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 07:35 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
He doesn't know what "world class" means. He's a Street protege so why would you expect him to? Nutter understood it perfectly. Sigh.

Well, hell, I live in his district and I can not remember anyone opposing him in a primary. But, once again since millennials would rather snapchat or other nonsensical things on their phones, they're not working at dislodging Boomer dinosaurs like Clarke.

Yorktown is NOT what is was so what are they even talking about?
I agree, there doesn't seem to be any young political stars on the rise in Philadelphia, just the same loons and rather uninterested citizens. My hope is that as areas continue to improve and people from the suburbs keep moving in things will change faster, suburban people always seems to be conscious about what their local government is doing, especially those coming in from the Main Line areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Yorktown's a black middle class enclave, a little chunk of the Far Northeast plopped down in North Central Philly, last I looked.

It may not be all that attractive, but it looks no worse than, say, Morrell Park or Cedarbrook.

Do Temple students really all bring cars to campus with them? It seems to me that most residential colleges discourage the practice.

And by "Yorktown is not what it was" you mean...? Doesn't look to me like it's gone downhill or anything.
Sandy, for the love God.... Lol. You are not the only person posting wrt familiarity with things Philadelphia. I know what and where Yorktown is. I remember when it was being built and was brand new. My parents had friends who lived there so that meant we visited those friends quite often. It's "tired looking" and "dated looking" today, imo, with that, now, awful post-WW II row house look that is also part of NE housing. Yorktown was a very forward looking community 50 years ago. Is it now?

To be clear, though, I'm not trying to criticize the people who live there.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yup, exactly.

All roads lead to the same destination. In order for Philadelphia to really move forward, it needs new leadership all around. With Nutter, it felt like we were headed in the right direction. But with Kenney in office, and the same crooks like Clarke still up to the same old BS, it's not promising. That's not to say Philadelphia won't continue to improve, but more that it will be constrained in doing so.
Will you older millennials and younger Gen-X people stop complaining about these people and do whatever it takes to "retire" people like Clarke? That's what needs to happen. The oldest millennials are over 30. You are the ones who need to supply new leadership.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Will you older millennials and younger Gen-X people stop complaining about these people and do whatever it takes to "retire" people like Clarke? That's what needs to happen. The oldest millennials are over 30. You are the ones who need to supply new leadership.
I vote in every election. I talk with my neighbors and attend community meetings. I try to take part in the dialog. But I'm not a politician, so what else can I do? Clarke doesn't even represent my district.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I find it hard to believe that there are parking problems in the area. I went to Drexel, and between Drexel and Penn you have more students with more money and more cars, and I hardly ever had trouble getting a spot except during peak class hours.

I think the surrounding residents are coming up with any excuse they can because they don't like Temple, they don't like "gentrification" and many of them to be frank don't like white people moving closer and closer.
Here's some irony if you are talking about Yorktown. That development was originally a kind of "gentrification"/ urban renewal project in its day. So now, they seem to be opposed to others trying it.

Temple is a huge asset in N. Philly. It being there has big benefits for residents.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree, there doesn't seem to be any young political stars on the rise in Philadelphia, just the same loons and rather uninterested citizens. My hope is that as areas continue to improve and people from the suburbs keep moving in things will change faster, suburban people always seems to be conscious about what their local government is doing, especially those coming in from the Main Line areas.
Brian Sims, for one, should leave Harrisburg, come back to Philly and do stuff here.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I vote in every election. I talk with my neighbors and attend community meetings. I try to take part in the dialog. But I'm not a politician, so what else can I do? Clarke doesn't even represent my district.
Mmmm... voting is great. I rarely miss voting. But someone has to decide to jump into politics. It will take that kind of leap to help change things.

At some point your generation has to step up. And you can't do it outside the existing party structures of low level ward leaders and so on. Those things are probably what keeps some people from participating.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Mmmm... voting is great. I rarely miss voting. But someone has to decide to jump into politics. It will take that kind of leap to help change things.

At some point your generation has to step up. And you can't do it outside the existing party structures of low level ward leaders and so on. Those things are probably what keeps some people from participating.
I'm a Gen X'er, and I'm just not into being a politician in any sense (I'm 15 years into my career). I agree that some folks need to get into it so people like me can support them. The challenge is that most aren't even voting. Every time we get someone new into the mix that isn't part of the old guard, it gets exciting and ends with him/her getting 1.7% of the vote. WTF!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Brian Sims, for one, should leave Harrisburg, come back to Philly and do stuff here.
And possibly remapping of the districts since they are all gerrymandered in favor of certain individuals.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 AM

Second residential project emerges for Jewelers Row, after Toll condo proposal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia