Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not because of the number of council members! Because of the way in which they are elected.

You can do that with a municipal legislature of any size. We currently have a 17-member city council. We could change the current districts from 10 to 9 and elect an 18-member council in the way Kansas City does its. We could then also elect a 19th member citywide with no specific district residency requirement in order to have an odd number.

I know I go on a lot about my forever hometown. That doesn't mean we can't learn anything from it simply because it's smaller. And it really is a great place. I hope you visit it someday to see why I go on about it so.
I've seen it. I've also been to St. Louis, Omaha, Lincoln(NE) and Des Moines. Chicago is the only mid-western city I have any interest in returning to at least nowadays. And that's probably because I didn't have enough time to spend in KC, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I've seen it. I've also been to St. Louis, Omaha, Lincoln(NE) and Des Moines. Chicago is the only mid-western city I have any interest in returning to at least nowadays. And that's probably because I didn't have enough time to spend in KC, etc.
Fine, though that sounds like a reason to go back there, not to forget about it.

But would you at least acknowledge that just because a place isn't as large as Philadelphia doesn't mean there's nothing Philly could learn from it?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Fine, though that sounds like a reason to go back there, not to forget about it.

But would you at least acknowledge that just because a place isn't as large as Philadelphia doesn't mean there's nothing Philly could learn from it?
Wrt to any KC model. I really wonder who you think would give up "turf" to decrease the number of districts from 10 to 9 and what the borders would be. Additionally how would that change the ward configuration?

Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Wrt to any KC model. I really wonder who you think would give up "turf" to decrease the number of districts from 10 to 9 and what the borders would be. Additionally how would that change the ward configuration?
Since the total number of council members would increase by two under the plan I outlined above, there shouldn't be a "turf war" unless the one district council member who would have to run on an at-large basis in the revamped Council values having to run in a specific district rather than face the entire city electorate.

I can think of one district Council member who would probably do even better running as a district councilmember at-large: Maria Quiñones-Sánchez (D-7th District), who keeps winning in her district despite complete opposition from its ward leaders.

And as far as that 19th, tie-breaking member is concerned, we could make the Council Presidency a position elected by the voters. This would have the (possible) advantage of requiring any sitting City Council member who wants it to resign in order to run for it under the City Charter.

Now that might stir a hornet's nest....

The boundaries of the wards shouldn't be affected at all. The current districts split a number of wards. But a revised map would no doubt throw some neighborhoods that are now in separate districts together. See also below.

Edited to add: There's also a good chance that under a revised map, Center City interests could push to have all of Center City proper in a single Council district. Again, this might face headwinds from folks in the outlying neighborhoods, but I think that one of the city's most populous residential districts (65,000+ in 2017, on par with Germantown, the most populous single outlying neighborhood) should have a voice in Council all its own.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-27-2019 at 04:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:23 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Since the total number of council members would increase by two under the plan I outlined above, there shouldn't be a "turf war" unless the one district council member who would have to run on an at-large basis in the revamped Council values having to run in a specific district rather than face the entire city electorate.

I can think of one district Council member who would probably do even better running as a district councilmember at-large: Maria Quiñones-Sánchez (D-7th District), who keeps winning in her district despite complete opposition from its ward leaders.

And as far as that 19th, tie-breaking member is concerned, we could make the Council Presidency a position elected by the voters. This would have the (possible) advantage of requiring any sitting City Council member who wants it to resign in order to run for it under the City Charter.

The boundaries of the wards shouldn't be affected at all. The current districts split a number of wards. But a revised map would no doubt throw some neighborhoods that are now in separate districts together. See also below.

Edited to add: There's also a good chance that under a revised map, Center City interests could push to have all of Center City proper in a single Council district. Again, this might face headwinds from folks in the outlying neighborhoods, but I think that one of the city's most populous residential districts (65,000+ in 2017, on par with Germantown, the most populous single outlying neighborhood) should have a voice in Council all its own.
Are there hints at a revised map?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Since what I propose here falls into the realm of pure fantasy, unless someone wants to put it out in a place where the public might see it (hmmmmm...), and even then, it's likely to get shot down since it's an idea Not From Here, the next revised City Council district map will follow the 2020 Census.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Since what I propose here falls into the realm of pure fantasy, unless someone wants to put it out in a place where the public might see it (hmmmmm...), and even then, it's likely to get shot down since it's an idea Not From Here, the next revised City Council district map will follow the 2020 Census.
I would love to see Dombs bill with regard to term limits passed, but that won't likely be the case. Of course most members of council oppose it.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:

None of this is going to happen of course. But, thanks, for fleshing it out.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Of course not. Sandy is just doing a thought exercise.

You will like this bit of OT. The PPD had a bunch of bike cops in the 1500 block of Chestnut this afternoon right when kids tend to leave school and hang there. So hopefully they will figure out that they shouldn't hang there at all.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,769 times
Quote:
Of course not. Sandy is just doing a thought exercise.

You will like this bit of OT. The PPD had a bunch of bike cops in the 1500 block of Chestnut this afternoon right when kids tend to leave school and hang there. So hopefully they will figure out that they shouldn't hang there at all.
They've been doing this for awhile now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia