Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

95 yes, vine street only select parts and not all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I broke the story of the PHA's plan to seize most of the land in Sharswood to build some 1,200 units of housing. The PHA's plan did call for a mix of market-rate and affordable units, but 75 percent of what the PHA envisioned building was to be affordable. As I wrote in that article, that didn't go down well with the head of the neighborhood civic association.

Sandy, do you know if Adam Lang is still holding out in Sharswoord or if he decided to move or if they moved him? A lot of people got screwed over royally in that deal.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...l-term-limits/

https://www.philly.com/news/term-lim...-20190221.html

Allan Domb is one of the few respectable council people in Philadelphia.
Enacting term limits would be ground breaking for the city. Council is also too large as is, cut 1/4 of the seats out while we are at it.
Boy would I love to get involved in Philadelphia politics if I moved back.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That's great but we already have one: the ICA.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/i...-20190221.html

I know Inga wrote this, but thoughts?

My thoughts:

PHA is known for poorly executed development plans. Sharswood was showing the first signs of rebirth and growth, and PHA ended that, (with the help of criminal Darrel Clarke, who will do anything to keep districts in poverty, otherwise his days are numbers).

Anyways, PHA has doomed that neighborhood of ever becoming a prosperous corridor. A wise solution would have been allowing natural growth and market rate housing and requiring larger developments to designate a % of units as "affordable".

PHA could have also purchased select lots on various streets and designated those as single family affordable homes. Having a mix of market rate and affordable would create a much more cohesive and dynamic neighborhood for everyone.

Their brainstorming sessions must be painful to sit through.
I can't stand him but unless Clarke is charged/convicted of a crime he's not a criminal.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190221.html

Some exciting development news. I pass this station on Amtrak all the time in my travels, and I am always amazed by that huge abandoned factory right off the tracks. Does anyone know what that used to be?
Can you briefly say what's this is about and what station? I'm not going to "fight" with the philly.com pay wall.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:16 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Can you briefly say what's this is about and what station? I'm not going to "fight" with the philly.com pay wall.
North Philadelphia train station. There is a proposed seven story apartment building with ground floor retail on the south side of Indiana Street between Broad and 15th. If built it’s theoretically the first phase of a 1.7 million sq ft development with offices and residential. The design will be presented to the CDR in early March.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...l-term-limits/

https://www.philly.com/news/term-lim...-20190221.html

Allan Domb is one of the few respectable council people in Philadelphia.
Enacting term limits would be ground breaking for the city. Council is also too large as is, cut 1/4 of the seats out while we are at it.
Boy would I love to get involved in Philadelphia politics if I moved back.
All for term limits across the board especially state legislatures and US Congress.

There are 51 and 50 city council members in NY and Chicago. 15 in LA. 16 in Houston. 8, plus the mayor, in Phoenix. And 17 here. So I'm not sure whether 17 is too many or not.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What this thing did was choke off organic redevelopment with "gradual money" and replace it with top-down redevelopment with "cataclysmic money." I think you know what Jane Jacobs had to say about the difference between the two.
Yes! Do you follow Strong Towns? They are clearly heavily inspired by Jane Jacobs. I find their advocacy for incremental development to be very persuasive; though sometimes I get caught up in hoping for mega projects. They summarized their platform in an article released yesterday as:

(1)No neighborhood should be immune from change, but no neighborhood should be subject to dramatic change.
(2) Cal the water of speculation that make neighborhoods unstable, by allowing continuous small-scale change and redevelopment instead of a choice between stagnation or dramatic change.
(3)Focus on incremental development and missing-middle building types.
(4)Practice the via negative when it comes to policy interventions: aim to remove distortions rather than risk adding more.
(5)Recognize that solutions need to look different in different places.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...-about-housing

The Sharswood project seems to violate all 5 principals (but especially the first three). In fact the whole project seemed to be a reaction to the small scale development that was moving up into the neighborhood as a result of Francisville became too expensive for small scale developers. A lot of the development seems to have skipped over Sharswood and has been starting in Strawberry Mansion. Just look at what has been selling and for how much at Foreclosure auctions over the past year. I think it will be very difficult for Sharswood to recover.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Yes! Do you follow Strong Towns? They are clearly heavily inspired by Jane Jacobs. I find their advocacy for incremental development to be very persuasive; though sometimes I get caught up in hoping for mega projects. They summarized their platform in an article released yesterday as:

(1)No neighborhood should be immune from change, but no neighborhood should be subject to dramatic change.
(2) Cal the water of speculation that make neighborhoods unstable, by allowing continuous small-scale change and redevelopment instead of a choice between stagnation or dramatic change.
(3)Focus on incremental development and missing-middle building types.
(4)Practice the via negative when it comes to policy interventions: aim to remove distortions rather than risk adding more.
(5)Recognize that solutions need to look different in different places.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...-about-housing

The Sharswood project seems to violate all 5 principals (but especially the first three). In fact the whole project seemed to be a reaction to the small scale development that was moving up into the neighborhood as a result of Francisville became too expensive for small scale developers. A lot of the development seems to have skipped over Sharswood and has been starting in Strawberry Mansion. Just look at what has been selling and for how much at Foreclosure auctions over the past year. I think it will be very difficult for Sharswood to recover.
And speaking of Strawberry Mansion, a new septa bus route, 49, begins there, travels through University City, and ends in Grays Ferry. Service starts 2/24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia