Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2024, 03:56 PM

395 posts, read 131,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I should simply ignore you, but:

When was the last time you walked up Frankford Avenue in Fishtown?
2004 ... on my way to get pancakes, a tall, cold glass of white milk and to ogle the skinny, bosomy Greek waitress at the Acropolis.

You're more of a Philadelphian than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2024, 03:14 PM

14,536 posts, read 9,475,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
2004 ... on my way to get pancakes, a tall, cold glass of white milk and to ogle the skinny, bosomy Greek waitress at the Acropolis.

You're more of a Philadelphian than me.
All right, all right...

I wouldn't have ventured up Frankford Avenue in Fishtown back then.

Old 06-28-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
You would have been fine.

Old 07-07-2024, 07:50 AM

9,477 posts, read 9,551,817 times
A big deal for Temple.

As Drexel’s John Fry gets voted in as Temple’s next president, here’s what he plans to do
https://www.inquirer.com/education/j...-20240703.html

Old 07-09-2024, 07:48 AM

9,477 posts, read 9,551,817 times
Amazing news for South Broad!

A newer, greener Avenue of the Arts is in the works
https://www.inquirer.com/arts/inq2/a...-20240709.html

A greener, art-infused streetscape is expected to debut on a single block of South Broad Street in 2026 — setting the stage for a more ambitious, decade long $100-million makeover of the entire stretch of Avenue of the Arts south.

The new streetscape proposes next-generation concepts like traffic-calming devices and lush plantings, but the overarching objective is the same as the first:

“To get more people excited about South Broad and to attract more economic development,” said Burkhardt. “That’s the goal — to make it more beautiful and livable, to support the arts and to give people a reason to come down and visit.”

Work on the new streetscape will begin with a pilot project on Broad between Pine and Spruce Streets projected to be complete by April 2026. The median will be landscaped, and portions of the right lanes where cars and buses currently pull over for drop-off and pickup will be given over to plantings, street furniture, and art installations.

Burkhardt anticipates that the $100 million required for the entire one-mile stretch will come from both public and private sources — local, state, and federal government; foundations; and corporate and individual donors.

Old 07-09-2024, 03:10 PM

This is a good thing!

Old 07-10-2024, 04:59 AM

Old City:
https://6abc.com/post/philadelphias-...ptly/15047604/

NIMBY!
Will somebody please think of the children!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phSxxVJCZsc

Yeah, put the bus terminal in one of those 'lesser than' neighborhoods ... Doesn't everybody know Olde City is special?

Old 07-10-2024, 08:06 AM

14,536 posts, read 9,475,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Old City:
https://6abc.com/post/philadelphias-...ptly/15047604/

NIMBY!
Will somebody please think of the children!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phSxxVJCZsc

Yeah, put the bus terminal in one of those 'lesser than' neighborhoods ... Doesn't everybody know Olde City is special?
My suggestion:

Find a new home for the preschool and put a bus ticket office in its space.

That spot is already designed for bus parking.

Old 07-10-2024, 09:26 AM

1,737 posts, read 1,012,597 times
Quote:
My suggestion:

Find a new home for the preschool and put a bus ticket office in its space.

That spot is already designed for bus parking.
Works for me. I don't understand the uproar and I live about a block from that garage.

In this environment, any freaking idea is gonna be met with a chorus of dissent no matter what it is. When they moved Septa busses from Market and front to 2nd Street (by Christ Church - also less than a block from me), this was gonna be the end of Old City. It's perfectly fine and makes a lot of sense.

I keep remembering this run-in I had with this pearl-clutcher NIMBY with way too much time on her hands. She heard about a proposal to turn the old Economy Restaurant Supply location (Arch and 2nd), which has been empty and blighted for 7-8 years, into a Boutique Hotel with a bar and a Restaurant. I thought it sounded amazing, as did many of us in the neighborhood. This lady had a petition going against the project saying that the last thing we needed in the neighborhood was a bunch of college kids pouring out in the street at 3am, ruining Old City. FROM A BOUTIQUE HOTEL. Things may have changed since I went to school but I can say without question that I didn't know where a boutique hotel was let alone went to one to party with my crew. She never had more than a couple of signatures on that clipboard. lol.

On a side note, that place remains blighted and empty but the proposal is still alive and well. I ran into Someone on the Old City Association board who said they are moving forward. I think it would mark a turning point for North 2nd street so fingers crossed.

Old 07-11-2024, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Works for me. I don't understand the uproar and I live about a block from that garage.

In this environment, any freaking idea is gonna be met with a chorus of dissent no matter what it is. When they moved Septa busses from Market and front to 2nd Street (by Christ Church - also less than a block from me), this was gonna be the end of Old City. It's perfectly fine and makes a lot of sense.

I keep remembering this run-in I had with this pearl-clutcher NIMBY with way too much time on her hands. She heard about a proposal to turn the old Economy Restaurant Supply location (Arch and 2nd), which has been empty and blighted for 7-8 years, into a Boutique Hotel with a bar and a Restaurant. I thought it sounded amazing, as did many of us in the neighborhood. This lady had a petition going against the project saying that the last thing we needed in the neighborhood was a bunch of college kids pouring out in the street at 3am, ruining Old City. FROM A BOUTIQUE HOTEL. Things may have changed since I went to school but I can say without question that I didn't know where a boutique hotel was let alone went to one to party with my crew. She never had more than a couple of signatures on that clipboard. lol.

On a side note, that place remains blighted and empty but the proposal is still alive and well. I ran into Someone on the Old City Association board who said they are moving forward. I think it would mark a turning point for North 2nd street so fingers crossed.
Some people are just lousy ...
The fat slob who used to be the president of our now defunct local civic association (who loved calling everybody 'racist' because his son married a Puerto Rican girl), ran around screaming that "There's going to be a massage parlor/washy-washy/house of prostitution in our neighborhood" because the Vietnamese wanted to open up a nail salon.

This nail salon just happened to be up the street from his house ... so he was worried about parking.

Well, the nail salon opened along with another spot a block away a few years later and they have been nothing but good neighbors.

BTW, it's 2nd and Arch, not 'Arch and 2nd.' Awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia