Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 10:14 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times

Advertisements

I used to like edgy building, etc. but I get to the point in my life where I feel that it is better to have buildings that would be aesthetically-pleasing decades from now.
I am not talking about the Hamilton because IMHO the building is way too boring. (Although it fits with the theme of the Museum Parkway). But I would prefer buildings that will still look up-to-date 30 - 40 years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I used to like edgy building, etc. but I get to the point in my life where I feel that it is better to have buildings that would be aesthetically-pleasing decades from now.
I am not talking about the Hamilton because IMHO the building is way too boring. (Although it fits with the theme of the Museum Parkway). But I would prefer buildings that will still look up-to-date 30 - 40 years from now.
Can you provide some examples of the sort of buildings you're talking about?

PSFS (the Loews Hotel), IMO, looks as up-to-date today as it did when it opened in 1932.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
PSFS (the Loews Hotel), IMO, looks as up-to-date today as it did when it opened in 1932.
Am I the only person who thinks that is one of the ugliest buildings in Center City?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Not every new highrise needs to be edgy, however CC IMO rarely gets an attractive and thought provoking highrise (modern day that is). The Murano and 1706 Rittenhouse are not what I would consider edgy, but they are very attractive highrises, they come along maybe once a decade. 205 Race is the only edgy tall building in Philly that comes to mind.

Not edgy/attractive=Almost every high-rise currently under construction in CC (Comcast and FMC are the exceptions, 500 Walnut is okay), 1911 Rittenhouse has/had the chance to be amazing, buts its getting dumped down due to boring uninspired neighbors, hopefully the Chestnut Tower (Boyd) will look nice, and whatever Brandywine is planning across from Trader Joes.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Am I the only person who thinks that is one of the ugliest buildings in Center City?
Probably.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think 205 Race Street will do quite well. I think it's funny how it's nudged into this tight little corner, sorta out of the way so people might not notice.

I think you guys might be wrong about the appetite of the buying/leasing market for more architecturally interesting buildings. What I've noticed is that developers bring a few bolder projects up for approval, only to have the historical society and/or neighborhood associations nix the more adventurous design elements. As the markets shifts from old folks like me to millennials and Philly's growing transplant population, I'm hoping to see a shift in design for residential architecture.

After my Houston life, I am happy that developers have a free hand to throw up anything they please. I do think it's time for the city to move in architectural direction into the 21st century. Newbies and a younger demographic will be the driving force.
That's why the historical commission and neigborhood associations should be WAY less powerful than they are. These boobs know nothing about building a city, only their narrow needs/wants (historical commission should protect, but shouldn't have a say on every street where there's a building built prior to 1900).

Barcelona, a city with a longer history and a ton of historic architecture has so many cool contemporary designs mixed in with its older stuff:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...fmxj6djb3J5ZM:

It makes for such an amazing cityscape!

Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not every new highrise needs to be edgy, however CC IMO rarely gets an attractive and thought provoking highrise (modern day that is). The Murano and 1706 Rittenhouse are not what I would consider edgy, but they are very attractive highrises, they come along maybe once a decade. 205 Race is the only edgy tall building in Philly that comes to mind.

Not edgy/attractive=Almost every high-rise currently under construction in CC (Comcast and FMC are the exceptions, 500 Walnut is okay), 1911 Rittenhouse has/had the chance to be amazing, buts its getting dumped down due to boring uninspired neighbors, hopefully the Chestnut Tower (Boyd) will look nice, and whatever Brandywine is planning across from Trader Joes.
W Hotel is pretty good too...at least for Philly.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
W Hotel is pretty good too...at least for Philly.
I forgot about that, yes that will be an attractive building, and the original SLS is a great tower, idk what we will end up with though.

And thinking back, the failed Mandeville Place IMO would have been the most attractive residential tower in the city.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I forgot about that, yes that will be an attractive building, and the original SLS is a great tower, idk what we will end up with though.

And thinking back, the failed Mandeville Place IMO would have been the most attractive residential tower in the city.
Agreed. 500 Walnut is super high-end, but is pretty interesting too.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 AM

Real estate investor Equus leaving Center City for Newtown Square

Equus chief executive Dan DiLella said in the release that the move "will support our business goals of attracting and retaining talented professionals who seek to balance a career and an active social life with good schools and safe neighborhoods."

While the firm is staying in the area, it is clear the city still has some work to do to keep companies like these from heading to the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia