Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well look at the Ridership from 5 years ago and compare it to today , on some lines and systems its grown by 40,000.
That's what I'm saying. That increase is without a major shift among the kids who grow up in the area so imagine how much more those numbers will grow when the people in the various places along major transit lines mostly use that transit.

I think that in order to do that though, they'll probably need to fix the pricing. That's where NYC definitely has us beat, and that's who we need to be competing with. We're the fifth biggest city in the US and the only one in the Top 5 other than NYC that's on the East Coast. We need to start acting like it and stop acting like we're a small city. We can't do that until we get the POSs currently in Harrisburg out of there though. How dare they slash our budgets when we're the reason they make so much of their money in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Amtrak's Dream for redevelopment

DSCN0417 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/6639311633/ - broken link) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Quote:

DSCN0417 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/6639311633/ - broken link) by Nexis4Jersey09 (http://www.flickr.com/people/42178139@N06/ - broken link), on Flickr
Nice. It would be cool if they built one or two more bridges to connect the two sides of the river together.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Nice. It would be cool if they built one or two more bridges to connect the two sides of the river together.

Agreed, JFK is elevated, and between that and/or Market (at grade) the next pedestrian crossing is at Girard

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM

57 posts, read 122,231 times
Quote:

Good ***** NEXIS! You found one for me. I believe this an older one though. They had a newer plan that was up there too, around the year 2000 late 90's. Is this one still hanging up at 30th street? This has been the plan since the destruction of the chinese wall. The center city commuter tunnel was was the first step. A central business district along Market west and JFK was step 2. Step 3 has always been to deck and develop the CBD to the rail yards. All most there.

Last edited by big mike 80; 01-07-2012 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: year 2000 not 200...lol

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 AM

57 posts, read 122,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
That's what I'm saying. That increase is without a major shift among the kids who grow up in the area so imagine how much more those numbers will grow when the people in the various places along major transit lines mostly use that transit.

I think that in order to do that though, they'll probably need to fix the pricing. That's where NYC definitely has us beat, and that's who we need to be competing with. We're the fifth biggest city in the US and the only one in the Top 5 other than NYC that's on the East Coast. We need to start acting like it and stop acting like we're a small city. We can't do that until we get the POSs currently in Harrisburg out of there though. How dare they slash our budgets when we're the reason they make so much of their money in this state.
Its amazing how fast the city is changing these days. It's very different then it was when I was a kid. It appears that the population is growing faster, my hope is the 2020 census will blow our minds. If you look at developments present, recent and planed a lot of it is being done in close proximity of transit, north broad, broad and south, broad and Washington, northern liberties, kensington, Drexel, the rebuilt Market street El, new streetscaping for 52ND and market(I think the next big spot for development and change) expect transit ridership to explode. major junctions of the various forms of transit are going to be prime spots more then they already are. 30Th street, market east, city hall, all of market between 40Th and front street. If you examine the 2035 plan it calls for sub down towns 52ND street, temple and others I just don't recall where they all were at this time. It's all pretty awesome.

Sorry going on a rant there. To make our transit prices more competitive we need to increase ridership and that is happening. I also think there needs to be some leadership reform in the SEPTA organization as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:46 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike 80 View Post
Its amazing how fast the city is changing these days. It's very different then it was when I was a kid. It appears that the population is growing faster, my hope is the 2020 census will blow our minds. If you look at developments present, recent and planed a lot of it is being done in close proximity of transit, north broad, broad and south, broad and Washington, northern liberties, kensington, Drexel, the rebuilt Market street El, new streetscaping for 52ND and market(I think the next big spot for development and change) expect transit ridership to explode. major junctions of the various forms of transit are going to be prime spots more then they already are. 30Th street, market east, city hall, all of market between 40Th and front street. If you examine the 2035 plan it calls for sub down towns 52ND street, temple and others I just don't recall where they all were at this time. It's all pretty awesome.

Sorry going on a rant there. To make our transit prices more competitive we need to increase ridership and that is happening. I also think there needs to be some leadership reform in the SEPTA organization as well.
I think SEPTA prices are already competitive with other transit systems. It does need more ridership though, but the immediate needs are improved maintenance, and upgraded fare systems.
Expansion of the subway system is something that would greatly benefit the city. But of course, that's a very tall order, as few subway systems have actually been expanded recently in US cities. The expansion of the NYC subway has been moving at a snail's pace for decades, and that's for a system with huge ridership though several economic/development boom periods in NYC.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Septa is pretty bad in Management terms , very backwards and does not think down the road. A Great Example of this is the suspension of the Trolley system and cut back of the Regional Rail system. While NJ and NY did that on some lines , Septa destoried an entire network for stupid reasons and unlike NJ and NY hasn't put any of those lines back. They also try to run there Regional Rail like Rapid Rail , and there Trolleys like Buses.... Its a very broken agency and its hurting SE PA. The City of Philly will some support from Private Investors should buy the Trolley lines and restore the 6 , 23 , 56 , 60 , and Waterfront trolleys , aswell as Expand the system.... The City of Philly never wanted the Trolley lines ripped up in the first place , that was a septa move... And they lied about the condition of some viaducts to end service...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,434 times
Quote:
Septa is pretty bad in Management terms , very backwards and does not think down the road. A Great Example of this is the suspension of the Trolley system and cut back of the Regional Rail system. While NJ and NY did that on some lines , Septa destoried an entire network for stupid reasons and unlike NJ and NY hasn't put any of those lines back. They also try to run there Regional Rail like Rapid Rail , and there Trolleys like Buses.... Its a very broken agency and its hurting SE PA. The City of Philly will some support from Private Investors should buy the Trolley lines and restore the 6 , 23 , 56 , 60 , and Waterfront trolleys , aswell as Expand the system.... The City of Philly never wanted the Trolley lines ripped up in the first place , that was a septa move... And they lied about the condition of some viaducts to end service...
Private entities have approached SEPTA multiple times to restore rail service on the Newtown and Reading lines, and SEPTA has repeatedly turned them down.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,190,218 times
It will be interesting if the plans to develop the waterfront will be executed without any major cutbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia