Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times

Advertisements

Also from the Sunday Inquirer, regarding conversion of subway right of ways to park space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 AM

147 posts, read 353,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Also from the Sunday Inquirer, regarding conversion of subway right of ways to park space.

I really think that's a bad idea. There's already a tunnel dug for railway usage, why not use it as intended?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
I really think that's a bad idea. There's already a tunnel dug for railway usage, why not use it as intended?
Because SEPTA is cheap and would rather auction off all their rail infrastructure and just run buses. They tried to shut down the Regional Rail system in the 80s but thankfully it didn't work, although it is why all the suburban diesel lines no longer exist. It's also why they tore out the 23 and 56 in the early 90s even after the city ordered them to keep the lines running. SEPTA does not care for rail transit. Plain and simple. SEPTA has no intention of ever using the City Branch, and would rather get rid of the ROW than adapting it to something. A rail link down Penn Ave by the museum that could tie into the rte 15 and head up to the Zoo would be immensely useful, but SEPTA has no vision and doesn't care.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
The City proposed the City Branch , its a shame the City does not find a company like MTR or DB to buy out Septa's Urban system and expand it...

Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The City proposed the City Branch , its a shame the City does not find a company like MTR or DB to buy out Septa's Urban system and expand it...
Because SEPTA won't allow it. They've had people approach them before about running portions of the system they've abandoned, but SEPTA will have none of it. They want to squat on the ROW and ensure nobody ever competes with them and their crappy bus service.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times
Yeah septa sucks ***. I wish there were more subway lines in this city, that's a big thing I miss about NYC.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM

147 posts, read 353,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Yeah septa sucks ***. I wish there were more subway lines in this city, that's a big thing I miss about NYC.
Honestly, thats the one thing I cannot fault SEPTA on. They weren't around until after the collapse of the PTC, and there were huge pissing contests with the construction of the EL and Subway. Plus there were other factors in the 20's and 30's that hamstrung Philadelphia in completing their rapid transit system.

I will support the notion that SEPTA is all about bustitution. Their only major rail project since extending the Subway to Pattison Ave. is the 15 Trolley and the work they were doing over the summer on the 13 along Chester Ave.

Heck, they are even talking about BRT along Roosevelt Blvd as a cheaper alternative to the Subway extension. I just find it hysterical that the Blvd project isn't considered shovel ready based on the amount of times its construction has been studied, planned, and restudied.

They have their monopoly, and an inflexible, greedy union that is behind the operators. Plus having suburban counties with a voting influence on the SEPTA board doesn't bode well for transit expansion within the City.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Thought this intersting for anyone who likes things Philadelphia

The Atwater Kent Reopens | Hidden City Philadelphia

Also some info on Delaware River deepening and the Walnut St Bridge

Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM

203 posts, read 496,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Because SEPTA is cheap and would rather auction off all their rail infrastructure and just run buses. They tried to shut down the Regional Rail system in the 80s but thankfully it didn't work, although it is why all the suburban diesel lines no longer exist. It's also why they tore out the 23 and 56 in the early 90s even after the city ordered them to keep the lines running. SEPTA does not care for rail transit. Plain and simple. SEPTA has no intention of ever using the City Branch, and would rather get rid of the ROW than adapting it to something. A rail link down Penn Ave by the museum that could tie into the rte 15 and head up to the Zoo would be immensely useful, but SEPTA has no vision and doesn't care.
I don't think SEPTA doesn't care, I think there are other factors not mentioned. Find out who "owns" the rails. The tracks themselves. Amtrack? Conrail? When ever there are "signal problems, or rail problems, people blame SEPTA, but the fact is, SEPTA is a renter.

Next time you take the Paoli line, watch for the Amtrack trains, they have right of way.

Look deeper...much deeper. Inform yourself. There is much more to see.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkerror View Post
I don't think SEPTA doesn't care, I think there are other factors not mentioned. Find out who "owns" the rails. The tracks themselves. Amtrack? Conrail? When ever there are "signal problems, or rail problems, people blame SEPTA, but the fact is, SEPTA is a renter.

Next time you take the Paoli line, watch for the Amtrack trains, they have right of way.

Look deeper...much deeper. Inform yourself. There is much more to see.
All agencies have to yield to Amtrak , NJT does it all the time , so does Metro North , MARC and MBTA.... Conrail gave tracks to Septa , its gone anyway... Conrail was formed to help all the failing Railroads , it gave most of the tracks back to the states , some to private rail and some questionable private developers... Not all of the Conrail tracks are in use , theres about 2000 mi of ROW preserved for future use in NJ , PA , NY , and MA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia